Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's Your View on Life?

Started by The Boston Crab, November 01, 2019, 02:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercussing

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 01, 2019, 06:11:49 PM
In the spirit of the thread opener.

I enjoyed this and the OP.

Enough is as good as a feast was always a phrase i enjoyed after hearing it in a goon show as a kid.

Quote"But I had a good uncle, my late Uncle Alex. He was my father's kid brother, a childless graduate of Harvard who was an honest life-insurance salesman in Indianapolis. He was well-read and wise. And his principal complaint about other human beings was that they so seldom noticed it when they were happy. So when we were drinking lemonade under an apple tree in the summer, say, and talking lazily about this and that, almost buzzing like honeybees, Uncle Alex would suddenly interrupt the agreeable blather to exclaim, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."
So I do the same now, and so do my kids and grandkids. And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.""

Buelligan

Interestingly enough, Emoshe, my inner voice remarks on my private happiness internally (I don't interact much verbally with others on a day to day), twenty, thirty, times a day.  I constantly feel uplifted by the lovely warm water I'm going to shower in very shortly or, like just now, leccy goes off, have no battery in laptop (it's a found object, well, recovered from a bin) but I have lovely candlelight (already lit) and the fire, also lit, and toast already made and tea and I just sit in the beauty and listen to the wind on the mountain and think about how marvelous it is to be alive.  And how exciting and beautiful the storm is and then the leccy comes back, joy of joys!  It's like find an unending thermal and spreading your wings.  Hope you all have a lovely daaay.

Janie Jones

Going back to the OP, assuming both those people, the fisher and the industrialist, live as part of a family - like most, but not all, humans - then they may possibly have kids to look after and educate, frail elderly kin to care for, medical help for an ailing loved one to arrange, a home to maintain, food to prepare, taxes to pay.  That either of them can spend time every day relaxing on their own doing what they want to do implies that these things are taken care of, which is quite a privilege. This fridge-magnet philosophy is rubbish really, if everyone just did the bare minimum to keep themselves happy, they'd soon become very unhappy watching their sibling die of an avoidable disease or their kid unable to access any education or their home's roof collapsing.

Twit 2

QuoteDans mes accès d'optimisme, je me dis que ma vie a été un enfer, mon enfer, un enfer à mon goût.

QuoteNous sommes tous au fond d'un enfer dont chaque instant est un miracle

[In my fits of optimism, I remind myself that my life has been a hell, my hell, a hell to my taste.]

[We are all deep in a hell, each moment of which is a miracle.]

Ferris

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on November 02, 2019, 12:44:03 PM

I do this all the time. It's really important to realize you are happy and make note of it, and try to record the memories in the mind palace. You'll remember when you're not happy, it's important to have the other recollections on hand to balance it all out.

I have been up since 5am in the dark eating porridge with Ferris Jr (he really likes porridge) and I've done my best to remember it, though my addled old brain might forget.

Life's alright, basically.

Anger, suspicion and jealousy disturb our minds. The antidote to these emotions is to cultivate patience and tolerance. Who provides us the opportunity to develop it? The one we call our enemy. Therefore, we can see him or her as a teacher.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 01, 2019, 06:11:49 PM
In the spirit of the thread opener.

Enjoyed that.

As for the thread opener, that is more an allegory that works for human's fall from the eden of hunter gathering into the hellish deathscape of farming really. There's way too many of us for more than a minute fraction to live as hunter gatherers unfortunately (probably nearly too many even for farming), much though I'd love to go back to that. Need something to wipe out 99.99% of the world's population and bring back the megafauna.

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 04, 2019, 09:53:27 AM
Anger, suspicion and jealousy disturb our minds. The antidote to these emotions is to cultivate patience and tolerance. Who provides us the opportunity to develop it? The one we call our enemy. Therefore, we can see him or her as a teacher.

You fucking twee twat.

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Cuellar

Haha. Quasi-funny verging on funny.

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 04, 2019, 10:55:15 AM
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

What does it say about derision?

pancreas

You two should take this to the Edinburgh Fringe as a sort of post-structural Punch & Judy show.

I mean, people would hate you for it, but they'd still fucking watch it.

Buelligan

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 04, 2019, 10:55:15 AM

Anger is a gas. A poison gas.

Neville Chamberlain

My outlook on life is that the heart is a fortress - who knows what secrets she keeps? The pulse in her battlements, the relentless pounding beat in her turrets. I generally believe that hostility is met with arrows of distrust, but with pure motives and clear intentions the drawbridge can be lowered. Something like that, really.

Buelligan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 04, 2019, 11:11:24 AM
Anger is a gas. A poison gas.

Sweet.

How much tweeer can this get?  We will find out I'm sure.

I always think the lead singer's a ringer for Pamela Doove.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 04, 2019, 11:02:04 AM
What does it say about derision?

nconcealed "derision" directed towards people with ME -- a disease from which people die and which appears on Coroners' death certificates as the cause of death -- which arouses such anger, an anger that is not confined to patients in the UK but encompasses medical scientists in other countries whose decision-makers have come under Wessely's thrall.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThis fridge-magnet philosophy is rubbish really, if everyone just did the bare minimum to keep themselves happy, they'd soon become very unhappy watching their sibling die of an avoidable disease or their kid unable to access any education or their home's roof collapsing.

Aye

All the same, have reported for violent content

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 04, 2019, 11:16:14 AM
nconcealed "derision" directed towards people with ME -- a disease from which people die and which appears on Coroners' death certificates as the cause of death -- which arouses such anger, an anger that is not confined to patients in the UK but encompasses medical scientists in other countries whose decision-makers have come under Wessely's thrall.

Be that as it may, I'm still going with derision.  My hand has been forced.

Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.

Dex Sawash

Barry Admin

madhair60

I think I've seen some of them pop up when I've died on CoD

Anyone believe in the yin 'n' yang idea of ENERGY?

This doesn't mean woman and man, it means every being has these two energies in different proportion. Please understand. This is not about man and woman! Only labels.

dallasman

^ That'd be more apt in the other thread, no? The one about racism in football?

alan nagsworth

my view is everyone is probably laughing at me in their mind so the whole world can eat my turd

Buelligan

my view is the whole world want to eat my turd and I am laughing at them in my mind.  I like it better.