Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Cockfields

Started by Gurke and Hare, November 02, 2019, 12:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

A new comedy drama mini-series on Dave starting next week. Writen by Joe Wilkinson and David Earl with a cast of thousands. From the trailer it looks like the premise is Joe Wilkinson takes his girlfriend Diane Morgan home to the Isle of Wight to meet the family - it raised a couple of laughs if more for JW's performance than any of the actual words, but it looks like it's probably worth a shot.

Glebe

Nice to see Bobby Ball going strong. Rock on, Tommy!

SteK

Just watched the first ep. Didn't think much of it.

DrGreggles

I quite liked it.
More smiles than laughs, but it flew by (which is usually a good sign).
The Dave Edwards character is particularly good.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was quite good too, very, very gentle, but it had an amiable sense of humour and I'll definitely check out the next episode.

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 13, 2019, 07:08:06 PM
The Dave Edwards character is particularly good.

Now I'm in! Had no idea he was involved. Does he do much pointing?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 15, 2019, 03:55:24 PM
Now I'm in! Had no idea he was involved. Does he do much pointing?

It's not him, but he's heavily based on him.
#granola

SteK

Just watched the second one, still not for me. I like slow placed Demi-comedy, but this is no Detectorists.....

I'll stick it out though, and maybe finish the series too...

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 15, 2019, 03:59:30 PM
It's not him, but he's heavily based on him.
#granola

I hope he at least sees from cash from it then.

SteK

Watching the third one and I'm sorry but I think it's total pish.

Diane Morgan totally wasted in this. Fellow Boltonian.

neveragain

It's not that bad. Lots of nice lines and moments, if very much indebted to The Royle Family.
Much better than that Johnny Vegas murder mystery bollocks.

wooders1978

Why wasn't it Dave Edwards? He's David earls bestie isn't he? - seems mean spirited, sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation like Dave didn't want to do it for example

Perhaps he pointed too much.

olliebean

I liked it. Got quite a big "Mum" vibe from it, which is no bad thing.

jsgibble

Quote from: SteK on November 16, 2019, 03:05:02 PM
Diane Morgan totally wasted in this. Fellow Boltonian.

She's been in worse, but she deserves better. Based on Two Episodes Of Mash it probably would've been more interesting to see something written by Wilkinson and Morgan, rather than Earl.

Mobius

Who the fuck is Dave Edwards?

DrGreggles

Well, that goes without saying...

Crabwalk

This is being shown from the start on BBC2 starting tonight, less than 30 mins actually, if you missed it first time round or wanted a re-watch.

Malcy

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on March 22, 2023, 09:32:34 PMThis is being shown from the start on BBC2 starting tonight, less than 30 mins actually, if you missed it first time round or wanted a re-watch.

Well worth a watch. I really enjoyed it. Is this the first time a GOLD show has ended up with a BBC airing? Or any similar channel having something repeated on BBC?

neveragain

It becomes a really lovely show once it gets settled with Susannah Fielding and Gregor Fisher. Really captures the irritation of family alongside the love, with a Royle-esque slow pace but much deeper feeling. I'm sad it was axed.

The brother character is brilliant too.

Quote from: Malcy on March 22, 2023, 09:53:17 PMWell worth a watch. I really enjoyed it. Is this the first time a GOLD show has ended up with a BBC airing? Or any similar channel having something repeated on BBC?

BBC One showed the first series of a crime drama called "Traces", originally shown on Alibi (part of the UKTV group of channels), in January 2021 when content was still thin on the ground due to COVID lockdowns.

They never bothered with the 2nd series which came out just over a year ago.

timebug

I started to watch episode one last night,and although I love Joe Wilkinson and
Diane Morgan, I bailed after about ten minutes. Some nice ideas, it just failed to hold my interest.

BritishHobo

Loved this, especially the David Edwards character (of course), but never got around to series 2. Excited to give it a go once the BBC catch up.

BritishHobo

Glebe

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on March 22, 2023, 09:32:34 PMThis is being shown from the start on BBC2 starting tonight, less than 30 mins actually, if you missed it first time round or wanted a re-watch.

Quote from: Malcy on March 22, 2023, 09:53:17 PMWell worth a watch. I really enjoyed it. Is this the first time a GOLD show has ended up with a BBC airing? Or any similar channel having something repeated on BBC?

Yeah surprised to see this on the Beeb schedule last night.

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2023, 10:10:40 PMIt becomes a really lovely show once it gets settled with Susannah Fielding and Gregor Fisher. Really captures the irritation of family alongside the love, with a Royle-esque slow pace but much deeper feeling. I'm sad it was axed.

The brother character is brilliant too.

Yeah nice to see Gregor Fisher on TV again, surprised he hasn't cameoed on Two Doors Down as yet. And Susannah Fielding is tops.

Is this really getting cancelled?

Watching the Tesco bit in Scissored Isle on YT again recently, David, the aforementioned brother character (Ben Green) pops up as the store manager, which I'd not noticed before!:

Glebe

It's fairly heartwarming but not the most original thing in the world. There was a Bobby Ball one where they're all watching telly and Sue Johnston goes "Does anyone want a Mini Magnum?", and I thought Royle Family, innit?

lauraxsynthesis

Never saw it on Dave so this was new to me. As said elsewhere, I wonder if this kind of transfer to the BBC is news.

Lots of the comedy comes from the accurate depictions of Boomer parents including some archetypes like the anxious mum desperate to please everyone, Northern dad who refuses to try new food.

I enjoyed it lots. Only 3 episodes so well worth a quick look.