Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I just had a rare steak

Started by thecuriousorange, November 02, 2019, 07:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 02, 2019, 09:42:33 PM
Just about to have a curry and now wish I was dead.

Just cooked this bastard. Don't wish I was dead though so hope it doesn't kill me.

Cerys

You'll probably avoid food poisoning.  I'd be more worried about parasites, to be honest.

Glebe

(Seriously though, hope you okay Curious.)

Janie Jones

Quote from: kenneth trousers on November 02, 2019, 09:49:17 PM
Mate of mine years ago got woken up by his mum asking if he'd eaten the barbecue chicken when he'd got in the previous night. He admitted that he had then his mum told him that it was raw and was marinating. He said he could immediately remember the texture and went into a 3 day hangover, throwing up each time he thought about it.
This has absolutely haunted me since I read it.

flotemysost

Ate some rabbit in Krakow, the day before a wedding, which had full on ligaments and veiny bits and other viscera poking out - probably should have been a warning sign. Got through the next day on sips of water, dry bread and Immodium. Not my best experience of getting fucked by a veiny rabbit eh lads

Used to have a fairly gung ho attitude to sinister meats but that did traumatise me somewhat.

sponk

Had an undercooked cottage pie when I was 14. Don't think I've had one since.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 03, 2019, 11:19:18 AM
This has absolutely haunted me since I read it.

It has given me flashbacks to the chicken kievs I only partly cooked a few years back. Didnt make us ill thankfully.

Cooking some Tuna steaks for tea, hoping not to overcook them.

Had a go at making scotch eggs at home once. Deep fried one but found it a bit greasy so had the next one cold when I came back from the pub later. Raw sausage meat and packet breadcrumbs surrounding a hard boiled egg isn't as nice as it sounds.

Paul Calf

Quote from: flotemysost on November 03, 2019, 11:48:20 AM
Ate some rabbit in Krakow, the day before a wedding, which had full on ligaments and veiny bits and other viscera poking out - probably should have been a warning sign. Got through the next day on sips of water, dry bread and Immodium. Not my best experience of getting fucked by a veiny rabbit eh lads

Used to have a fairly gung ho attitude to sinister meats but that did traumatise me somewhat.

You weren't unlucky. All rabbit meat is like that; exceptionally poor and low in nutrition. It's one step up from rat and squirrel and people only eat it when they can't afford anything else.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I had hare in a mixed game and venison pie once. It was lovely.

Icehaven

Had a beef and Stilton pasty from some bakery in Warwick years ago, bit into it and it was cold in the middle, which was a bit disappointing but didn't think too much of it. Started puking in the middle of the night and didn't stop for 2 days, probably lost about a stone in 48 hours. The undercooked pasty diet.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 02, 2019, 11:03:47 PM
Just cooked this bastard. Don't wish I was dead though so hope it doesn't kill me.

Looks tasty enough! When mine arrived it became very clear they thin the sauces out on busy nights. SHITE.

Icehaven

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 03, 2019, 02:06:00 PM
Looks tasty enough! When mine arrived it became very clear they thin the sauces out on busy nights. SHITE.

An Indian friend gave me his curry recipe many years ago and the Indian and Pakistani friends who have tried it tell me it's the sort of thing they grew up eating (but they're all very polite and might have just been kind to the gora). Authentic or not, I still prefer the takeaway curries that are all made from the same base gravy from a huge simmering pot, although I've had a few piss-poor watery ones too.

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 02:10:53 PM
I want that. What's the green stuff, Coriander?

Yes, it's coriander leaves - I chuck them in just before dishing up. I use the stalks too, finely chopping and adding them to the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies at the initial frying stage. Ooh, get Nigel Slater over here!

Icehaven

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 03, 2019, 02:28:30 PM
Yes, it's coriander leaves - I chuck them in just before dishing up. I use the stalks too, finely chopping and adding them to the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies at the initial frying stage. Ooh, get Nigel Slater over here!

Yeah I use the stalks too, no point wasting them.

Twit 2

Can I have a rare steak?
You're in luck, it's our last one.
Perfect!

Noodle Lizard

As someone who's a bit obsessive about food safety and also a seasoned(!) meat-eater, here's my take:

Your chances of getting poisoning from a rare steak are so small they're not even worth worrying about. If the outside is seared (on all sides) you can have it still cold and mooing in the middle and you'll be fine, since the outside is the only place bacteria are likely to be - cross-contamination from handling in the slaughterhouse, butchers etc. That's why you shouldn't really eat ground beef/hamburgers rare or even medium - all that nonsense on the outside of a cut gets mixed the whole way through. But again, your chance of getting properly sick from it isn't especially high with beef, so people take the risk.

Some people do have a sensitive stomach to meat the rarer it is - probably partly psychosomatic, partly something to do with the composition making it harder to digest or whatever. My sister and stepson are people like this. Nothing to worry about, mind you, maybe just a difficult shit or two.

And yeah, as said, you can handle pork about the same way you would beef now! I personally don't like it rare because the texture is a bit mushy like wet paper, but medium and above you're having a good time.

Spot on, Noodle Lizard. And despite assurances that U.S. slaughterhouse practices are such that it's supposedly safe to eat rare burgers, when I've been over there I still haven't been able to bring myself to order them any way other than well done.

Twed

It's got fuck-all to do with the slaughterhouses, in the case of burgers. Even the best quality beef mince can poison you if doesn't go straight from grinder to pan. Like NL says, it's about exposure to air. Cook all the parts that air touches and you're good.

Which is why I don't accept the line about better slaughterhouse hygiene. I've encountered some very suspect reasoning in twenty plus years as a food hygiene inspector.

Sebastian Cobb

That and mince isn't a steak. It's shit rare and only a dilettante trying to show off would think it's a good idea.

Twed

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 03, 2019, 07:18:10 PM
Which is why I don't accept the line about better slaughterhouse hygiene. I've encountered some very suspect reasoning in twenty plus years as a food hygiene inspector.
My experience is just as a little pig farm boy 25 years ago, but I suspect the real biggest change is in feeds, hormones and drugs given to the animals that prevent the diseases and worms that used to be a problem, so advice can generally be reduced to "it's fine if it the raw parts didn't touch air and wasn't left on a shelf for a week" now. It's the animal equivalent of how people live past their 60s now due to modern medicine.

Icehaven

Isn't steak tartar(e?) raw mince? Does that make people ill often?

Yes it's raw minced beef and just to make sure you don't dodge a bullet the silly fuckers often serve it with a raw egg yolk. Gastroenteritis-tastic!

Icehaven

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 03, 2019, 09:16:40 PM
Yes it's raw minced beef and just to make sure you don't dodge a bullet the silly fuckers often serve it with a raw egg yolk. Gastroenteritis-tastic!

I just read the Wikipedia page for it and it says the dish has reduced in popularity due to health concerns, then lists the various bacterias and parasites you're most likely to get with it. Bon appetit!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 03, 2019, 12:43:59 PM
You weren't unlucky. All rabbit meat is like that; exceptionally poor and low in nutrition. It's one step up from rat and squirrel and people only eat it when they can't afford anything else.
not like that when i got it from Booths

Like chicken thigh throughout really

idunnosomename

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 09:09:18 PM
Isn't steak tartar(e?) raw mince? Does that make people ill often?
i first learned about it from the mr bean sketch

Icehaven

I'd like to see it turn up on Masterchef, see Greggg's face as he has to try it, and maybe a DVD extra of him having the resultant tapeworm pulled out of his nose.

Twed

Just to reiterate, steak tartare would be fine if it is freshly ground and they don't keep it hanging around before serving.