Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I just had a rare steak

Started by thecuriousorange, November 02, 2019, 07:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I'm pretty sure that Gregg would be delighted to be presented with it - I'm pretty sure it's been on before. For all the horror at the idea in this thread, it's being served in loads of restaurants and people don't seem to be dropping dead from it en masse.

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 09:22:01 PM
I just read the Wikipedia page for it and it says the dish has reduced in popularity due to health concerns, then lists the various bacterias and parasites you're most likely to get with it. Bon appetit!

As a treat  my partner and I went to Adam's restaurant in Birmingham a couple of years ago and we were served a little spoonful of steak tartare as an amuse bouche. Rather than shouting "You can fuck that right off!" at the lovely staff I ate it but I'm not eager to repeat the experience. It was pretty bland too so I don't know why people bother. Give me a nicely charred medium rare rump steak any day.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 03, 2019, 09:34:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that Gregg would be delighted to be presented with it - I'm pretty sure it's been on before.

Were there any comments about it not actually involving any cooking? Although I daresay the skill is in what you mix in with it and making it not poisonous.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 02, 2019, 07:02:57 PM
I think it was maybe more pink that it should be and now my stomach feels funny. Is it time to panic?

Do we know if thecuriousorange died or not? And if he did, did he leave anything to me in his will?

Dex Sawash

I took a bite out of a live flounder when  fishing drinking heavily on a pier. It was very bad.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 06:58:37 PM
It's got fuck-all to do with the slaughterhouses, in the case of burgers. Even the best quality beef mince can poison you if doesn't go straight from grinder to pan. Like NL says, it's about exposure to air. Cook all the parts that air touches and you're good.

It does, in the sense that the bacteria you're likely to pick up from beef are when the surface of any given bit has been contaminated by other things - stuff from the animal's intestines, for instance. With cows or any other large animal that's usually not much of a problem, as the "good parts" are easily kept separate from the dodgy parts when slaughtering/preparing. But even still, there's a lot of handling that goes on before it even gets to the butcher's, where they might use the same gloves/knives/equipment to prepare cuts of beef as they did to prepare cuts of chicken (which is generally far filthier as a result of how they're slaughtered/prepared). So you probably should avoid eating entirely raw meat for the same reason you probably wouldn't lick a butcher's gloved hand (one of the reasons, anyway). With ground meat, any shite lurking on the outside of a cut is mixed up all the way through, hence why you should be wary about eating it undercooked.

That said, I've had plenty of "undercooked" burgers and been totally fine. It's a small risk, but if you do get unlucky you're in for a really shite time of it.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 09:38:21 PM
Were there any comments about it not actually involving any cooking? Although I daresay the skill is in what you mix in with it and making it not poisonous.

Thinking about it further, I reckon it was the skills test in an episode of Masterchef Professionals.

Jittlebags

Not convinced about the beef is safe option. 2 years ago I was frying a Waitrose bought breaded veal fillet, and a fucking worm popped out of the top, between the crumbs of bread, escaping the inferno going on underneath. Chucked the fucker in the bin. You get the same with fish and pork. Is there any worm free meat? I'm happy to take a gamble with bacteria, but not with a worm.

idunnosomename

quiet sir or everyone will want one!!

(a worm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)