Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bait - Cornish film about a fisherman.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 02, 2019, 10:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone else catch this? I think it came out in August but I caught a reshowing. It's a fantastic gritty drama about a sullen Cornish fisherman trying to make ends meet after him and his brother sold the family home to a bunch of pricks from London who use it as a seasonal holiday home and his brother uses the boat for tourist tours.

All shot in black and white 16mm with clockwork cameras then hand-developed.

https://youtu.be/eVlPl0SXFiE

It is FANTASTIC.

Inspector Norse

Hmm, I remember reading some glowing reviews of this - "one of the defining British films of the decade" said The Guardian - then checking out a trailer and finding a load of comically wooden acting and amateurish editing and sound mixing. The lo-fi camera work is obviously a choice but the other stuff, not so sure. Still, can't judge anything properly by the trailer and it does sound interesting; question is whether it'll get a proper release over here or if I'll have to wait for it to pop up online or on a cheap DVD.

Sebastian Cobb

The sound mixing does seem a bit odd. But then it was shot with clockwork cameras and dubbed afterwards with no sound taken at the time. Gives it a bit of an ethereal quality. The trailers don't do it justice.

peanutbutter

Managed to completely miss this in the cinema, which seems a real shame as that seems like the perfect outlet (it's actually still in the BFI, but £13 for their worst screen can fuck right off). That being said I've some concerns that it'll be a bit like something along the lines of Little Fugitive (kinda riding on the goodwill of its distinct lo-fi nature) and for a stunt like this 89 minutes seems kinda long.

imitationleather

GLAD TO SEE IT WENT DOWN SO WELL WITH THE CURZON LATTE AND GUARDIAN CROWD

No it does look good. Hopefully they'll sort some screenings at Tate St. Ives next summer when it's busy. Would like to see it while I'm down there AirBnBing for the Eden Sessions.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on November 03, 2019, 12:34:59 PM
GLAD TO SEE IT WENT DOWN SO WELL WITH THE CURZON LATTE AND GUARDIAN CROWD

I had a Budvar, actually.

beanheadmcginty

Blinder Data

Thought this was great and funny too. Loved the graininess, sound editing. Tabu had a similar style but this really works with the subject matter. It felt dead Cornish and yet I imagine it would play well around the world due to the universality of its themes.

If you like black and white close-up shots of people tying knots, you're gonna love this. And think TWICE before you airbnb

Jerzy Bondov

Yes I thought this was great. Sold out everywhere so I had to go out of Cornwall into fucking DEVON to watch it but had the benefit of a Q&A with the director. First question 'Great film. One thing I didn't get, did his nephew die at the end?' and then later on 'That old fisherman he kept talking to, was it a ghost?' Director was like 'Well of course it's all open to interpretation but... yes.'

I heard a clip of the film out of context and thought it sounded wooden and shit, but actually the sound design works really well.

Director: 'I wanted to make sure all the characters were sympathetic, I didn't want it to be a hatchet job'
Me (in my head): WHAT ABOUT THAT HUGO CUNT

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 04, 2019, 03:13:34 PM
Yes I thought this was great. Sold out everywhere so I had to go out of Cornwall into fucking DEVON to watch it but had the benefit of a Q&A with the director. First question 'Great film. One thing I didn't get, did his nephew die at the end?' and then later on 'That old fisherman he kept talking to, was it a ghost?' Director was like 'Well of course it's all open to interpretation but... yes.'

I heard a clip of the film out of context and thought it sounded wooden and shit, but actually the sound design works really well.

Director: 'I wanted to make sure all the characters were sympathetic, I didn't want it to be a hatchet job'
Me (in my head): WHAT ABOUT THAT HUGO CUNT

Oh christ the fisherman thing didn't occur to me.

Hugo was a complete cunt, as was the prick with the man bun that moaned at them for working in the morning.

Lost Oliver

Gutted I missed this. Where the balls can I pick it up? I've been refreshing PB for the last month or so but I'd like to pay for it.

Whereabouts is it set? Do we get to see Padstow and listen to people banging on and on about Rick Stein? Or is that just what happens when you go on holiday with your partners family?

Jerzy Bondov

It's set in a nameless village closer to Camborne (since that's where the police take Wenna) but it was filmed in Charlestown near St Austell. I think it's meant to be a bit more off the beaten track than Padstow, a bit less used to man buns and big chinned poshos.

Sebastian Cobb

touchingcloth

They should have made it on a proper camera you can get them for cheap now.