Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Jeff Goldblum #cancelled?

Started by Great White Ape, November 03, 2019, 02:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 06:29:53 PM
We're going to have to get over this culture of worshiping actors and musicians as minor deities, because sooner or later somebody is going to find out that they touched somebody's buns without permission. All of them.

Haven't seen that particular film

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

QDRPHNC

Years ago someone told me he had a thing for seducing other men's wives that came to his acting workshops.

Something like that.

Who could have thought a violent mugger in Death Wish, later a half-insect carnivore of human flesh, was creepy.

dallasman

He brought an underage date to the opening of The Fly.

Twed

Twed

Because "the opening of the fly" can be construed as a sexual act and it would be very funny if you laid this joke-egg without realising it.

bgmnts

I thought as much but gave credit where it wasn't due mayhap.

dallasman

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 09:30:06 PM
Because "the opening of the fly" can be construed as a sexual act and it would be very funny if you laid this joke-egg without realising it.

I thought so too, but I did realise, unfortunately.

It's learn-a-language Sunday, so here's why I had to make that joke: In Norwegian, the expression "to kill two birds with one stone" translates as "striking two flies with one swat (smack)", and goes "å slå to fluer i en smekk". For some reason, the word "smekk" also means "fly", as in the opening at the front of your trousers. Therefore, our version of "two birds with one stone" could be translated as "killing two flies with one fly". You can see how that is both amazing and hilarious, and I was beside myself with joy when I first put all of that together back in school days. It's been buzzing around my head ever since. As if these double meanings weren't enough, the word "fly" is both a verb and a noun in Norwegian, meaning "(to) fly" and "(aero)plane" respectively. A confused child may easily jumble all of these together, picturing Stuka bombers attacking a man's groin area. And that's why I never had any brothers and sisters.

idunnosomename

bob dylan stole a pie cooling off my windowsill. #cancelled

flotemysost

My friend saw Jeff Goldblum AND pre-#cancellation Kevin Spacey in a David Mamet play about a decade ago, she was in the front row and apparently he (Jeff) waved at her as he walked off at the end. That's potential #cancelledception right there.

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 06:29:53 PM
We're going to have to get over this culture of worshiping actors and musicians as minor deities, because sooner or later somebody is going to find out that they touched somebody's buns without permission. All of them.

I know this is in jest but I do agree with the first part - specifically, I'm a bit over the current trend for obsessing over 'uncool but nice' celebrities in an ironic, hipsterish way, and Goldblum is definitely one of these - lots of online memes, jokey mugs sold in Urban Outfitters, that sort of thing. Same with Louis Theroux.

Obviously goes without saying I hope there's no truth behind these rumours.

Ferris

Goldblum is in faaaar too deep with the industry. It's why he turns up on chummy late night shows and everyone laughs about the hilarious anecdotes he has about being in an airport ("hey, I've been in airports!") or whatever other banal shit he has to sell. Put his face on a tshirt, he's hilarious!

Uncancelable, same as Terry Crews (remember that from 6 months ago? He was saying some pretty mad stuff on twitter). The people who make up the bulk of these hate mobs like tedious beige Brooklyn 99 memes and pictures of Jeff Goldblum playing the piano for Jimmy Fallon and they'd never eat their own as they'd have to edit the gifs on their twitter timeline.

To be clear - I quite like Goldblum and Crews, but if they weren't so media savvy and cozy with powerful people, they'd be toast. Though that assumes whatever rumours about Goldblum are true, and I really hope they aren't so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Twed

Quote from: flotemysost on November 03, 2019, 11:12:16 PM
I know this is in jest but I do agree with the first part
Wasn't in jest at all!

Definitely true that people have weird parasocial relationships with celebrities to the point where it absolutely breaks their brain to hear that their favourite millionaire entertainer might have done something wrong. You see that with a lot of defenses of Louis CK, there's loads of guys out there who thought of him as one of their guy friends, and react as if they have some weird amount of affection for him that goes way beyond admiring the work, in part because their brain has duped them into thinking that watching Louis CK media is functionally the same as hanging out with him

up_the_hampipe

I wonder if he gets cancelled, goes into hiding, then emerges as a much more serious, brooding, cynical version of himself, like Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park 2.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 03, 2019, 11:20:12 PM
Goldblum is in faaaar too deep with the industry. It's why he turns up on chummy late night shows and everyone laughs about the hilarious anecdotes he has about being in an airport ("hey, I've been in airports!") or whatever other banal shit he has to sell. Put his face on a tshirt, he's hilarious!

Uncancelable, same as Terry Crews (remember that from 6 months ago? He was saying some pretty mad stuff on twitter). The people who make up the bulk of these hate mobs like tedious beige Brooklyn 99 memes and pictures of Jeff Goldblum playing the piano for Jimmy Fallon and they'd never eat their own as they'd have to edit the gifs on their twitter timeline.

To be clear - I quite like Goldblum and Crews, but if they weren't so media savvy and cozy with powerful people, they'd be toast. Though that assumes whatever rumours about Goldblum are true, and I really hope they aren't so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I thought Crewes was seen as good because he spoke out during #metoo because someone powerful grabbed his cock and he knew that if he battered them for it he'd be the one with the tarnished reputation and fucked career.

Urinal Cake

Nobody is cancelled but everybody is cancelable.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 03, 2019, 11:45:53 PM
I thought Crewes was seen as good because he spoke out during #metoo because someone powerful grabbed his cock and he knew that if he battered them for it he'd be the one with the tarnished reputation and fucked career.

That is certainly a reason why he fell in with woke twitter, which is why it is difficult for him to fall back out.

Verdoux is on the money - these people don't know or care about you (beyond the money your demographic will give them). People get confused and say things like "oh I love Jon Mulaney" or whoever, but really you like the pre-written bit he did on that heavily edited late night show which is now circulating on YouTube.*

It's all a bit grim, really. My get out is that I hate everyone, which has always steered me right.

*Which is really cleverly skewered by Nathan Fielder in the Nathan for You episode "the anecdote" which I implore you to watch if you haven't seen it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 04, 2019, 12:00:11 AM
That is certainly a reason why he fell in with woke twitter, which is why it is difficult for him to fall back out.

Always felt like the opposite to me. When you're in with woke twitter, there's a target on your back. Twitter is a contrarian's playground, so there's always people looking to have the hot take.

Ferris

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 04, 2019, 12:03:35 AM
Always felt like the opposite to me. When you're in with woke twitter, there's a target on your back. Twitter is a contrarian's playground, so there's always people looking to have the hot take.

Yes and no - depends on how memeable you are, and the potential for future memeability.*

"I could jump on the twitter hate train, but they're a different race to me so that could make me look bad, and anyway I have a load of funny Brooklyn 99 gifs I want to post and this would fuck with my content so I'll give it a miss" = hate mob runs out of steam and you get off the hook. I think that's why Ansari is back - everyone likes Parks & Rec, even cynical twats like me. He's likeable, so the assault claim can be conveniently forgotten.

Goldblum has the same get out with all his affected silly jazz piano/retro classic Jurassic Park shtick so he's untouchable.

Again, I like them both (and haven't heard the allegations against Jeff) but someone like Spacey never had a chance. He was barely in any memes at all! Apollo 13 ain't gonna save ya.

*the state of humanity on 2019. I despair that this is true, but it is.

Urinal Cake

Crews for his faults is still an ally- he just has some views and words that people would like him to change.
Goldblum has a schtick until a whole number of victims come forth in explicit detail he doesn't have to worry.
Ansari his situation was relatively less serious/clear but he took a low profile and seemingly learnt his lesson.

Ferris

^agree with all of that (except Crews, who I think would be insta-canceled if he were anyone else).

Obviously the factors I'm banging on about don't exist in a vacuum, and those are some of the ways people get comfortable with letting them carry on while yer Spaceys will never work again. Did Ansari take the same amount of low-profile as Wankbeast incarnate? At least CK didn't write a book on "wanking in front of people etiquette" and use it as part of his woke credentials.

Though, again to be clear - I think CK is a deplorable monster, and Ansari is merely a one-time assaulter. I think they should both be fucked off. Shades of grey I suppose. I don't really know why I'm wading into this with my half baked opinions.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 03, 2019, 11:40:25 PM
I wonder if he gets cancelled, goes into hiding, then emerges as a much more serious, brooding, cynical fly, like Seth Brundle in The Fly.

Sin Agog

I think the flap of the dolphin's tail that set this tsunami in motion was one online journo pre-emptively tweeting that the article she's researching might possibly dredge up some serious dirt on Goldblum at some undetermined future date.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 04, 2019, 12:37:26 AM
Though, again to be clear - I think CK is a deplorable monster, and Ansari is merely a one-time assaulter. I think they should both be fucked off. Shades of grey I suppose. I don't really know why I'm wading into this with my half baked opinions.

we can't be sure of that.

edit: I mean, I've read the report of the woman he assaulted and I wouldn't be that surprised if there were other cases.

anyway, let's return to talentless hack Jeff Goldblum

Urinal Cake

^agree with all of that (except Crews, who I think would be insta-canceled if he were anyone else).

Obviously the factors I'm banging on about don't exist in a vacuum, and those are some of the ways people get comfortable with letting them carry on while yer Spaceys will never work again. Did Ansari take the same amount of low-profile as Wankbeast incarnate? At least CK didn't write a book on "wanking in front of people etiquette" and use it as part of his woke credentials.

Well Crews did apologise and I presume because of his B99 work on a show with LBGTQI+ characters this was seen as sincere. Obviously I think he just cared about the paycheck.

Ansari in short it's relative to CK, Cosby etc. He hasn't apologised (he's said he's become more thoughtful) but he hasn't been a cunt about it like CK (and his defenders like Chappelle), Cosby etc.

Paul Calf

I think it's (almost) that simple.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 03, 2019, 11:33:08 PM
Definitely true that people have weird parasocial relationships with celebrities to the point where it absolutely breaks their brain to hear that their favourite millionaire entertainer might have done something wrong. You see that with a lot of defenses of Louis CK, there's loads of guys out there who thought of him as one of their guy friends, and react as if they have some weird amount of affection for him that goes way beyond admiring the work, in part because their brain has duped them into thinking that watching Louis CK media is functionally the same as hanging out with him

See also; Michael Jackson.

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 04, 2019, 01:06:45 AM

I think it's (almost) that simple.

No idea what you're on about.

I don't think I have anything of value to add ("you never did! Ha ha ha!") so I'll give this thread a miss in future. Cheers.