Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me identify this weird piece of electronic frippery [GEAR THREAD]

Started by kngen, November 03, 2019, 03:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Posted this in Technology thread, but might be best suited here:

I remember playing with a handheld sort of Kaoss pad thingy, prob about 7 or 8 years ago. It was about 9 inch by 9 inch, cream coloured and had a grid of small rubbery buttons lit by LEDs. It seemed to some sort of half music/half arty thing. You could draw patterns and it would create rhythms and melodies to coincide with the pattern. In other modes, the lights would act bounce up and down like LED meters, but measuring tempos of each loop you were creating (the X row being sound, the Y row being tempo) - there were lots of other fancy things it could do (presets with crazy patterns etc). In my limited time spent with it (about 15 mins) I couldn't work out if it had any actual musical use (although Keigo Oyamada has probably written a triple-LP with it), and it was eye-wateringly expensive, but it was a lot of fun.

I'd like to think it's like one of those pin sculpture executive toys that were ludicrously expensive when they first came out, but you can buy for pennies now, but I've a feeling that it was already super-limited when it I came across it, and now is probably worth even more money.

Anyone have the faintest idea what the fuck I'm talking about?

kngen