Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New slow cooker

Started by NJ Uncut, November 03, 2019, 06:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

So took me thirty odd years to buy one

Working now, I know I hardly mention that but past week done some old staples dead unadventurous like sausage cassole (browned a bit first),  beef bourgignon (ditto), am brilliant at curry but not had the stones to slow cook chicken yet

Advice appreciated.

Getting in from work recipes wanted.

Not daft enough to think it's better than a wok, but do you lot have any slow cooker recipes you enjoy?

Bonus if Spanish, or otherwise European. Not exactly keen on doing stew every day.

If it helps, I get slowly baked almost daily, eh, drug users?

chveik

Twed

The trouble with slow cookers is that they do not facilitate the accumulation of frond from browned food in the cooking pot, and yet they are primarily used for making stews and soups where such a technique is essential for prime results.

NJ Uncut

Whenever I feel blue, using the slow cooker for a Full English restores respective

Have wondered if the sausages would consequently only be done one side, but that might betray my elitist standards. As would my wish for actual food rather than cooking up a joke

Still. If you thought cup o' beans was magic...

imitationleather

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 03, 2019, 06:42:25 PM
Whenever I feel blue, using the slow cooker for a Full English restores respective

Have wondered if the sausages would consequently only be done one side, but that might betray my elitist standards

Still. If you thought cup o' beans was magic...

If you're doing sausages in a slow cooker you need to brown them first or they look quite unappealing.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: imitationleather on November 03, 2019, 06:46:27 PM
If you're doing sausages in a slow cooker you need to brown them first or they look quite unappealing.

Put off by the lack of black pudding really. Changed the brekkie pic but black pudding slow cooked while I toil sounds like a paradise!

And I don't even work for the Games Workshop

sponk

I've got a slow cooker, I married her!

Gulftastic

Pork shoulder, completely submerged in full fat Coke. 9 hours later you have lovely pulled pork.

Sebastian Cobb

Chicken tends to be dry in them, even if you use things like thigh on the bone. Often you end up with wet sauce and dry chicken. Bag of shite.

bgmnts

If i'm spending more than 15 minutes on the hobs or oven i'm not interested.

They're good for chilli con carne made with cubed stewing steak, which goes really nice and tender. I stick the cooker on before leaving for work and when I get home in the evening the aroma filling the house is very welcoming. Goulash is another dish well suited to slow cooking. As has been mentioned above, browning the meat is an important step but I do that the night before when I'm prepping the other ingredients. It only takes a few mins and I then store everything in the fridge overnight, ready to dump in the cooker in the morning.

Sebastian Cobb

Lamb tagine is the best dish I've done in mine.

This but switch the cinnamon and cumin for a tablespoon of Ras El Hanout.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-lamb-tagine-recipe/t0q96421

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 03, 2019, 07:11:21 PM
They're good for chilli con carne made with cubed stewing steak, which goes really nice and tender. I stick the cooker on before leaving for work and when I get home in the evening the aroma filling the house is very welcoming. Goulash is another dish well suited to slow cooking. As has been mentioned above, browning the meat is an important step but I do that the night before when I'm prepping the other ingredients. It only takes a few mins and I then store everything in the fridge overnight, ready to dump in the cooker in the morning.

Noted. Love a bit of chilli, like it with mince though, so back to "brown the meat", but cubed steak does sound boss!

Goulash comes under stew for me, heathen I am. I'm perfectly happy doing a bit of prep night before, bit of sealing, herb mixing, bowl in fridge... it's not so much "I'm dead lazy", but way more "I want to come into food cooked and none of the women I could feasibly marry can cook or would"

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 03, 2019, 07:13:11 PM
Lamb tagine is the best dish I've done in mine.

This but switch the cinnamon and cumin for a tablespoon of Ras El Hanout.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-lamb-tagine-recipe/t0q96421

Noted! Have made Ral el Hanout before, as basically Moroccan garam masala, but cheers for the link Seb

Very tempted to stick Coco Pops and milk in overnight and see what's crackin'

Icehaven

I've thought about getting one a few times but I don't think I'd actually use it much as I can't see myself being arsed to get it going before going to work, and it limits any plan changes if you have to be home to switch it off etc. (or can they be set to switch off at a certain time?) Also when I was a child my Mum had one that broke but she kept the ceramic bowl out of the middle and whenever I was sick it was used as the sick bowl so I tend to associate them with vomit.

Sebastian Cobb

I do the prep the night before and stick the pot in the fridge.

You can get timed ones but they're more expensive than just getting a cheap one and a timer switch. Aside from chicken getting dry they're pretty forgiving with time, you can easily give things a couple of hours extra to no detriment usually.

Although to contradict myself, this Korean slow cooked beef is pretty tight on time but delicious.

https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-korean-beef/

I use a time switch so it's nearly done by the time I'm home.

Icehaven

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 03, 2019, 07:19:10 PM
"I want to come into food cooked and none of the women I could feasibly marry can cook or would"

Have you considered employing a chef? (Anyone tempted to add an ill-advised comment about how that would also be cheaper than a wife, please don't.)

Brian Freeze

Did a chorizo and bean affair recently. No browning needed. Quite stewy, called it soup though and chucked some white fish in for half an hour before serving.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 07:22:28 PM
Have you considered employing a chef? (Anyone tempted to add an ill-advised comment about how that would also be cheaper than a wife, please don't.)

Au Pair's seem to be relatively cheap. I'm sure they wouldn't mind just watching telly rather looking after children.

Twed

A pressure cooker can do pretty much anything a slow cooker can, and electric ones have saute modes so you can brown stuff in them and keep all the delicious frond. And most electric pressure cookers have slow cooker modes anyway. Apart from cost there's just no reason to get a slow cooker.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 07:22:28 PM

Not a bad idea!

A professional chef's bound to know loads of slow cooker recipes!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
A pressure cooker can do pretty much anything a slow cooker can, and electric ones have saute modes so you can brown stuff in them and keep all the delicious frond. And most electric pressure cookers have slow cooker modes anyway. Apart from cost there's just no reason to get a slow cooker.

I'd probably get one of them now but they weren't a thing when i bought my slow cooker and they're not quite good enough to upgrade to. Especially considering I've got a big cast iron dutch oven as well.

Icehaven

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 03, 2019, 07:27:08 PM
Not a bad idea!

A professional chef's bound to know loads of slow cooker recipes!

Indeed. And I don't mean some kind of live-in type personal chef of the kind zillionaire's have, more like the kind of set up you have with a cleaner, where they come over and cook you a meal a few times a week. I've no idea if such a service even exists but if it doesn't it should.

king_tubby

Got a massive deja vu off this thread, did we do similar recently? Not being sarcy there, I really do. Especially the pic of the fry up.

ANYWAY - don't use mine anymore due to now mainly cooking vegetarian stews/curries etc, but I remember that the best one pot not having to brown anything beforehand or reduce anything afterwards was some pulled pork thing which was basically a shoulder of pork rubbed with a paste of spring onions and scotch bonnets and mixed herbs, sat on top of a load of sliced onions and garlic, with a can of decent cider poured over it and cooked for 9 hours.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 06:41:30 PM
The trouble with slow cookers is that they do not facilitate the accumulation of frond from browned food in the cooking pot, and yet they are primarily used for making stews and soups where such a technique is essential for prime results.

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
A pressure cooker can do pretty much anything a slow cooker can, and electric ones have saute modes so you can brown stuff in them and keep all the delicious frond.

Stop getting fond wrong!

pancreas

Twed, this is real bad optics for you right now. Real bad.

NJ Uncut

Is fond not just "mailliard reaction"? That is why I am browning beforehand. That shit's the flavour!*

* Literally if you're shit at cooking, though that's not my impetus here (it's walking into smells that are more than just weed)

Twed

Quote from: pancreas on November 03, 2019, 08:00:33 PM
Twed, this is real bad optics for you right now. Real bad.
Oh god, you're right, this is terrible.

Um, my phone kept auto-correcting it to frond? Yeah, that's it. Grrr, silly phone!

Twed

Quote from: earl_sleek on November 03, 2019, 07:57:36 PM
Stop getting fond wrong!
I made this mistake on purpose to set you up for this excellent joke!

Hahhahaahahahahahaha! I AM IN CONTROL OF THIS

Dex Sawash

Bunch of cheap frozen meatballs, dump in a couple bottles of hickory bbq sauce (the too-sweet thick stuff) cook until it is all jellied up. X-mas party crowd pleaser.

Gurke and Hare

Tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of chickpeas, handful of frozen spinach balls, jar of Patak's or similar curry cooking sauce of your choice makes a pretty good veggie curry then you just have to cook some rice when you get home.