Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New slow cooker

Started by NJ Uncut, November 03, 2019, 06:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

rare steak

edit: new page twat

NJ Uncut

Wonder if you can slow cook toast..

Butchers Blind

Can of beans, lump of cheddar, pepper to taste. Leave on low setting. Lovely cheesy beans to put on toast when you get in.

Dex Sawash

Thought this was going to be a new account name reveal

Jittlebags

A nice bit of brisket or a lamb shank works well. As indeed (probably) would a pig's trotter.

Brian Freeze

Oxtail and green lentils. Needs browning and is quite stewy though.

Blumf

Quote from: Jittlebags on November 04, 2019, 12:23:48 PM
A nice bit of brisket or a lamb shank works well. As indeed (probably) would a pig's trotter.

Anybody got a good slow cooker pork brawn recipe?

imitationleather

Put a mug, teabag, pint of milk, bottle of Evian and spoon in a slow cooker before work for a lovely treat in the evening.

Twed

wrong it's frond actually but nice try

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 01:32:18 PM
wrong it's frond actually but nice try

Take a telling. It's fond. Unless you've been frying leaves.

Jittlebags

You could use it for deep fried, crunchy pig's ears as well. Singe off the hair, then slow cooker for 8 hours to soften the cartilage, then deep fry. Think there's a recipe for this in one of Hugh Fearnley's river cottage books.
ah yes. here we go... https://houseofyes.wordpress.com/2007/12/30/crispy-pigs-ears-with-hugh-fearnley-whittingstalls-tartare-sauce/

Twed

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 04, 2019, 01:34:28 PM
Take a telling. It's fond. Unless you've been frying leaves.
Nope, frond. Check earlier in the thread and you'll see a conversation where everybody else thought I had made a mistake, but it was in fact me (an infallible person) who was correct.

NJ Uncut

I gonna try a curry in the slow bastard this week

Sear the chicken before I think, marinate the stuff

Then whack. Saw some tips saying herbs and spices need to go in later? Might pick up some Pataks then I am not proud!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
A pressure cooker can do pretty much anything a slow cooker can, and electric ones have saute modes so you can brown stuff in them and keep all the delicious frond. And most electric pressure cookers have slow cooker modes anyway. Apart from cost there's just no reason to get a slow cooker.

This.  I've never even used the sow cooker option on my pressure cookers as the only difference is it take 5 times as long to cook something.

Am i missing something?

Sebastian Cobb

Your pressure cooker must be massive if you can get a whole sow in it.

NJ Uncut

Slow cooking on a pressure cooker turns out worse plus I want it ready when I come in

Twed

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 04, 2019, 05:19:13 PM
Am i missing something?
Just some jerks pretending it's "fond" and not "frond".

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Jittlebags on November 04, 2019, 02:14:44 PM
You could use it for deep fried, crunchy pig's ears as well. Singe off the hair, then slow cooker for 8 hours to soften the cartilage, then deep fry.

Similarly, confit duck legs. Put some duck legs in, cover with cooking oil, about 8 hours. Then shallow fry (you probably won't need any more oil, they'll be a bit oily already) to crisp up.

But yeah, get one of the new fashioned electric pressure cookers as well, they're great. As someone who got a Pressure King Pro, I'd say it might be worth spending the bit extra for an Instant Pot.

NJ Uncut

I've got an Instant Pot. It's good but not at slow cooking - lets too much moisture out on the slow cook setting

please keep this about slow cooking :)

PlanktonSideburns

got the slow cooker out due to this thread.

marinading some steak overnight, got some fried beans and peppers in some tomato sauce ready to go, going to set it all off tommorow morning and return a king

stick that in your pipe and cook it too quickly, pressure cooker wankers

Twit 2

Pressure cookers are shit.

Slow cookers are ok.

PlanktonSideburns

fucking lord of the inside edge over here

Twed

Lord of the soggy dinner more like

Sebastian Cobb

I just remembered I cured my own salt beef and did it in the slow cooker, thanks to some Prague Powder. It was amazing.

Just found the remainder of the curing stuff in the cupboard; I assume I can completely disregard the best before on what is essentially salt?

Twed

You should have cured the salt

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 08:31:56 PM
Lord of the soggy dinner more like

don't think for a moment anyone's forgotten about what you did

Twed

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Twed on November 05, 2019, 12:10:06 AM
Nothing happened here

I'm very frond of your posts generally but this isn't right.