Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New slow cooker

Started by NJ Uncut, November 03, 2019, 06:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I am going to go full Cartman/Trump on this. Do not test me.

I know some cultures eat fern leaves. I don't suppose you'd cook them in a slow cooker though

TrenterPercenter

Just slow cooked something, tastes the same as pressure cooked.

This is like some flat earth cult thing isn't it.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 05, 2019, 08:05:57 AM
Just slow cooked something, tastes the same as pressure cooked.

This is like some flat earth cult thing isn't it.

If you ignore the whole purpose, yes

Pressure cooking is done after work

Slow cooking during

I only got a slow cooker cause I wanted to walk in, get stoned and eat.

Even getting in, getting stoned and Instant Potting is a few extra steps. Mind you, my wok gets the most use. Woks are fun!

But you can't slow cook in a wok..

pancreas

I was led to believe that the higher temperatures gave you more maillard, for example in ragu.

It is extremely difficult to tolerate the existence of the people at Serious Eats outside of cemetery, but they are mostly right about stuff:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 05, 2019, 08:31:12 AM
Even getting in, getting stoned and Instant Potting is a few extra steps. Mind you, my wok gets the most use.

I'm not drinking your KoolAid NewJack, even if you slow cooked it first.

I've tried to not mention brand names as I don't want to be an Instant Pot wanker but I'm pretty sure you can set your Instant Pot to turn itself on cook your grub and keep it warm until you get home from work.

I also believe you can make cheese cakes in them, it's the future (apparently).

NJ Uncut

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 05, 2019, 10:00:18 AM
I'm not drinking your KoolAid NewJack, even if you slow cooked it first.

I've tried to not mention brand names as I don't want to be an Instant Pot wanker but I'm pretty sure you can set your Instant Pot to turn itself on cook your grub and keep it warm until you get home from work.

I also believe you can make cheese cakes in them, it's the future (apparently).

Yeah but did you miss my post saying I've already tried that? I don't like my Instant Pot slow cooker function, and I like slow cooking in my ceramic slow cooker... just don't want to conflate the two, I use them for different things

I want advice for my slow cooker, not the Instant Pot, even if they're interchangable in some ways :) Even if I own both... see thread title!

PlanktonSideburns

Can't believe the slow cooker hate here when the guy cooking stuff in soft drinks is getting a pass

Thought cab would be all over that

Twed

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 05, 2019, 07:59:04 AM
I know some cultures eat fern leaves. I don't suppose you'd cook them in a slow cooker though

They've made a strange mistake in this image. They've used the word "frond", but instead of showing browned bits on a cooking pan they've shown plant leaves instead. Odd, basic error on their part.

Sebastian Cobb

My enemy's enemy is not my frond

Quote from: Twed on November 05, 2019, 02:18:55 PM
They've made a strange mistake in this image. They've used the word "frond", but instead of showing browned bits on a cooking pan they've shown plant leaves instead. Odd, basic error on their part.

I know - very poor research. Here's a more authoritative source showing the proper terminology.

Icehaven

You're all dinosaurs, the Itaki Chef is where it's at now, portable electric lunchbox that cooks your dinner while you're carrying it around.

https://wowzonegadgets.com/products/itakibox-steamer-box-plus

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on November 05, 2019, 06:28:56 PM
You're all dinosaurs, the Itaki Chef is where it's at now, portable electric lunchbox that cooks your dinner while you're carrying it around.

https://wowzonegadgets.com/products/itakibox-steamer-box-plus

Good feature that it needs to be plugged in. So it is just like carrying a normal steamer with you everywhere.

Twed

Haha some chancer finally crossed a rice cooker with a lunchbox eh

Sebastian Cobb

Is it daft that often the only reason I freeze the soup I make for my lunches is because it means if the container falls over in my bag it won't leak so much?

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on November 05, 2019, 06:33:17 PM
Good feature that it needs to be plugged in. So it is just like carrying a normal steamer with you everywhere.

Oh I thought it had batteries too? Well if it doesn't it's shit then. Although to be fair it's probably shit anyway.

Twed

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 05, 2019, 04:52:53 PM
I know - very poor research. Here's a more authoritative source showing the proper terminology.

This checks out

Brian Freeze

Just membered seeing a recipe for carrot cake porridge done in a slow cooker. Putting this here might remind me to find the recipe or find out that I'd dreamt it.

Sebastian Cobb

Last night, looking for alternative ways to make ghee after blowing a thermal trip in my microwave, I discovered you can make ghee in a slow cooker apparently.

Dunno why you would given you can do it quickly in a pan mind you.

king_tubby

Oh yeah, I realised at the weekend I can brown stuff on the hob in my slow cooker pot, so chucked a load of stewing beef, chopped onion/celery, whole shallots and a box of mushrooms and gave it a good browning, then some stock, half a bottle of red wine, carrots and a bouquet garni and let it slow cook for nine hours. Fantastic.

Noodle Lizard

I never got on with my slow cooker, but the Instant Pot is fantastic. I've not had a single thing come out bad from that, even if I've been lazy with the recipe instructions or don't have all the right ingredients or whatever. It works some sort of magic. It can produce a family pasta sauce that used to take 3-4 hours on the stove in about 30 minutes, and it tastes better for it. Lovely. You can sauée in it an' all, there's fuckall clean-up.

I made one good beef stew in my slow cooker. Everything else came out dry or unevenly cooked.