Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:07:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GLC - Original Pyrite Material

Started by bgmnts, November 03, 2019, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

studpuppet

I put this on at the weekend and haven't stopped playing it on repeat yet. I had it on in the background and the beats are so on point that my family listened to it while the lyrics sailed over their heads. As good as 'Greatest Hits' and better than 'Safe As Fuck'.

"THEM RRRRREALY TIGHT TRRRACKSUIT BOTTOMS WOT YOU'RE WEARRRRING" is a highlight.

bgmnts

Wiggidy wiggidy wiggidy walking down the street is my highlight.

Chollis

Roller Disco was always my favourite, some great verses

Eating cola cubes and watching Grange Hill
Riding my chopper to the Chip shop in Pill
I didn't know words like Cunny or Vag
Getting my 200 metres swimming badge

BeardFaceMan

I really like Adequate, that's a bit of a banger. Rhys is actually a pretty good producer, he has a real ear for samples. Their songs are usually still good enough for at least one line that will have you pissing yourself. I'm glad they've gone back to using more local references too, just makes it that little bit funnier.

studpuppet

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 25, 2019, 03:10:13 PM
I really like Adequate, that's a bit of a banger. Rhys is actually a pretty good producer, he has a real ear for samples. Their songs are usually still good enough for at least one line that will have you pissing yourself. I'm glad they've gone back to using more local references too, just makes it that little bit funnier.

Somebody described the Wu Tang Clan as the American GLC (maybe even someone here?) and I'd agree with that.

Glyn

Great, will check this out now. It's hard to know being Welsh how funny GLC really is outside of the local area but I like to think most of it is fairly universal.
I wasn't fussed on the TV show as much but Eggsy's radio show The Unexplainers is usually rather good too.

alan nagsworth

As far as the UK is concerned at least, I think the appreciation is universal. Universal to one country, yes that'll do nags.

Really enjoyed this album. No Swearing into PJs — where they go straight back to swearing when rapping about spending the day in your pyjamas — is great. They have always had a great ear for samples and I'm very pleased that the appeal of genuinely great beats fronted by comedy rappers from Wales wasn't a gimmick. Their older bangers still hold a lot of water, they're just loads of fun.

BeardFaceMan

I can still remember when a mate in work told me to go look at their website, this was back when it hosted about half a dozen mp3s and a load of photoshopped pictures of Jimmy Savile. Just to hear people with my accent rapping about local landmarks and stuff was hilarious to me, the first song I heard was Taxi (Enter The Dragon) and it was lyrics like "I got in this taxi and I felt the vibe, So I asked, "Was it busy tonight, drive?" and "Just to hear the Dragon switchboard asking what i want, cos it makes me feel safe asking for a drop-off in Pont" that just floored me. So much local lingo, instantly recognizable and very funny. Not saying they're comedy or musical geniuses or anything, but I don't think they get their dues in either department, they can be really quite good.

Famous Mortimer

"Hey Mikey, where'd you get your leisurewear?"
"I got my tracksuit from a shop in Aberdare"

is a bit that always made me laugh. I need to play their stuff again, and get this new album. Nice!

jobotic

I've only stayed in Newport once and it still makes me laugh.

Is Diverse Records still there, btw?

Glyn

Took me quite a while to realise that the lip sync issue on the Adequate video is intentional.

Enjoyed the album a  lot. Something about the idea of West Coast rappers having fun around Tenby will make me chuckle for a very long time.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: jobotic on November 26, 2019, 01:40:38 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much the only decent music shop left.

SteveDave

Quote from: jobotic on November 26, 2019, 01:40:38 PM

It is. Please ask for vinyls if ever you go there again.

Famous Mortimer

I just heard their song about wearing pyjamas and it sounded like a group of terribly unfunny middle aged men trying to rip off GLC. They went off the boil :(