Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Kominsky Method

Started by StewartLeehaslethimselfgo, November 03, 2019, 08:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cant see a thread on this is nobody watching it?

Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin are utterly charming and a great pairing. Its nothing groundbreaking but just a thoroughly heart warming old buddy series.

Blue Jam

Just started watching this and so far I agree with you. It's maybe a bit stagey, maybe a bit sentimental, but only compared to Curb, which I can't help unfairly comparing it to. Also I'm only two episodes in but fully intend to watch more.

With Sandy Kominsky's acting school I'm recognising a possible nod to Michael Caine's Acting Masterclass, AKA the inspiration for all those Peter Serafinowicz sketches. I also like the way it shows Hollywood as an actually pretty bleak touristy place full of faded gift shops, which is exactly how Mr Jam described it to me after his visit, and how it looks in Nathan For You.

Bumping this because the third (and final) season will be streaming on Netflix from the 28th of May, so if anyone was thinking of giving this a go maybe now is the time to catch up. Don't get too used to Norman being around though, as Alan Arkin won't be present for season 3. Apparently he always planned to stop at two seasons, but it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Frank Reynolds
[close]
as the sleazy urologist... yes, that's me sold.

Loving Lisa Cuddy as the drug-addled daughter too.

...oh, and
Spoiler alert
Kevin Wachtell
[close]
as a sleazoid trying to pick up younger women in a bar!

Mr_Simnock

Well I have watched both of the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them alot. Not sure myself Alan Arkin not in 3, he is so important to the first 2 seasons, maybe 3 starts with his death. Very much looking forward to the new shows.

Blue Jam

VERY spoilery trailer for season 3:

https://youtu.be/Aj8ua1zQPSs

They've dealt with Alan Arkin not wanting to do a third series
Spoiler alert
by having Norman Newlander die
[close]
, which leads to
Spoiler alert
his screwed-up family contesting the will, and clueless as to why he doesn't want to leave his considerable fortune to a selfish drug addict and a brainwashed Scientologist
[close]
. As for Sandy,
Spoiler alert
while in the middle of sorting out Norman's affairs (because of course he doesn't trust his family to execute his will) he finally gets an acting job! A pretty major one, which fills him with crippling self doubt
[close]
. Meanwhile his daughter
Spoiler alert
marries The Ponytail
[close]
which brings his ex-wife
Spoiler alert
Kathleen Turner
[close]
back into the fold, and The Kominsky Studio
Spoiler alert
welcomes a few more guest tutors
[close]

Blue Jam

Season 3 is streaming now.

Spoiler alert
Sandy Kominsky drinking his Jack Daniel's and Diet Dr. Pepper alone at Musso and Frank's. Oh gawd I'm welling up here.
[close]

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Some cracking canine acting too.
[close]

More people watch this please, it's fucking great.

steveh

The relationship between Sandy and Norman was what made the show really and I didn't feel the stories with the others made up for that enough to make the show continue to work in season 3.
Spoiler alert
The final 16 minutes when they do the "One year later" thing was terrible, particularly that they actually decided to go for the paying the wrong man for the hit on (one assumes) Sandy gag.
[close]
Too often it wanted to be deep and meaningful but instead ended up rather schmaltzy and you felt like they were trying to too obviously manipulate you as a viewer.

Took me until the penultimate episode to realise that the Mindy / Martin relationship is mirroring the Douglas / Zeta-Jones one.

mippy

I started this a few days back, having been a bit wary of it because it's from the Chuck Lorre family and, Cybill aside, I don't really vibe with his shows. Was surprised at how subtle it is.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mippy on June 16, 2021, 03:09:23 PM
I started this a few days back, having been a bit wary of it because it's from the Chuck Lorre family and, Cybill aside, I don't really vibe with his shows. Was surprised at how subtle it is.

I guess any subtlety whatsoever is a surprise after Two And A Half Men, yes.

(there is a massively self-deprecating dig at TAAHM in the second season, enjoy)

TrenterPercenter

Started this a while back and really got along with the first two seasons; completely agree with Blue Jam daughter are great. I have to say though I'm struggling with the 3rd season since
Spoiler alert
Arkin's characters death
[close]

What worked well in the first two seasons was the self-deprecating and subtle lampoonity (new word I just created) of Hollywood and Sandy.  In the 3rd season it just turns back to typical (and bit problematic) tropes; Sandy being the old white dude that just can't stop getting hit on by young women; obscene wealth no real commentary on this other than "it doesn't matter in the end" yet it is completely essential to the lives of everyone involved.

Spoiler alert
Arkins character replacement; the ex-wife feels like she is there literally to just replace Arkin, even down to the voice! and again the "you were a terrible husband but it's ok you can get away with it trope" just seems a vehicle to keep the Arkinesque critique of Sandy going
[close]

Shame as first two series whilst not laugh out loud were eminently watchable for me it's too their credit I'll push out the rest of the season 3 but seems like a wasted opportunity.

Icehaven

Just watched all 3 series over the last couple of weeks and largely agree with the dip in quality towards the end, particularly the time jumps (which I often find are badly done attempts to patch over plot difficulties or poor writing, like
Spoiler alert
Phoebe and Robbie discussing putting a hit on Sandy but not doing it until a year later at the exact time the plot picks up,
[close]
doesn't really make sense). But generally I enjoyed it and think it's a bit of a shame there weren't more. I think it's the only other thing I've seen Haley Joel Osment in too, he was actually alright.

Shit Good Nose

Really enjoyed it - one of mine and Mrs Nose's favourite comedy shows of recent years.  Season 3 REALLY misses Alan Arkin, but it was still nice to spend time with them all.  For some reason Martin turning out to be an amateur cobbler had us both in fits of giggles.

I think they missed a joke by not having Alex make his way up to say something at Norman's funeral.

Bently Sheds

I liked the way they had Paul Reiser's character watching Paul Reiser's film debut on telly.

kalowski

I'm on series 2 and I fucking love it. It's just brilliant. It's so funny, well acted and touching.

Blue Jam