Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:12:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris style names [split topic]

Started by Bennett Brauer, October 29, 2019, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Not sure which thread to post this trivial aside in, but anyway - watching some Forensic Files episodes on youtube, I noticed there are often name captions like something from TDT. Distracting.

Twed

It's commendable that somebody called "Assistant District Attorney" was able to rise up the ranks to become a Gayland Gieger.

imitationleather

I thought a Gayland Gieger was one of the rubbish counters they had at Chernobyl that only went up to 3.6 roentgen?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This deserves its own thread, not sure why it's here!

dallasman

I can never remember where the "Day Today-esque headlines" thread is, and this doesn't really fit there either, so...

In the documentary "Hail Satan" (2019), there is a note perfect Barbara Wintergreen segment at about 45:00. If you get a chance to watch the doc (not bad), I'm sure you'll agree it's got the voice, the tone and the wordplay.

Ferris

Morley Swingle is the current front runner here

BlodwynPig

Bennett Brauer

Ferris

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

One for you here Ferris. Not because I think you're a kuntz, he's a baseballist:

Ferris

A career .236 hitter with a weedy .322 SLG. He got on base at a decent clip (or at least, around league average) but I can see why he wasn't a mainstay in the Bigs. Wasn't much cop in the corners, so looks like the ChiSox and the Twins tried to use him as a centre fielder (premium defensive position as any fule kno) to get more value out of his ~.600 OPS bat. Didn't work, but then again life is suffering.

Thank you though - I've never heard of this chap before, and his name will surely come in handy at some point in my future.

Ferris

Bennett Brauer

Not obviously daft, but still an air of TDT I think.

Absorb the anus burn

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bennett Brauer

This to me is more of a typical low-key skewed Day Today name than Christine Wanke.

imitationleather

Do our names look as stupid to Americans as these do to us?

imitationleather

Apologies for the ropey pic but I saw this while watching my nightly low quality true crime stuff.

Girly fucking Chew, lads.

Bennett Brauer

Season 3 of Champagne was probably the best.

"Lady, I'm a cop, not a psychiatrist."

Jockice

Minty Stimpson. A real person I met in America once.

flotemysost

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on November 18, 2019, 02:07:13 AM
This to me is more of a typical low-key skewed Day Today name than Christine Wanke.

Yeah this is bang on, not an obvious 'comedy' name, just weird enough. Girly Chew as a real name is exquisite though.

I was chucking out some of my old school exercise books the other day and found a story I wrote when I was about 13, featuring characters named 'Marlowe Thorpe' and 'Kitty L'Vaughan', among others - both struck me as quite TDT-esque (I wouldn't have seen or heard of it/Morris at the time, I just remember deliberately coming up with ridiculous names).

purlieu

shoulders

I think aristocratic British names have been mocked by Americans as far back as the wars of Independence - quite rightly.

Their version, an antithesis, a weird culturally tone deaf abstraction of central European/Jewish names (not to mention the various other immigrant communities) is similarly mockable.

At least the yanks seem on some level aware of it. Gaylord Focker, etc.