Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube Premium

Started by The Boston Crab, November 04, 2019, 11:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I got the free trial so I could download a tonne of SF4 tournament vids and STG Weekly shows for various flights over the last week or two and it's really good for that.

Immediately cancelled it now I'm heading back home, total waste of money otherwise. Massive rip-off. Original shows are turd. I'll do the same next year most likely.

Anyone pay for this?

Jim Bob

You are aware there there's plenty of pre-existing free browser plug-ins and software which allow you to download YouTube videos, right?  If you're not too arsed about the original content and ads, there's sod all reason to pay for YouTube Premium.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 04, 2019, 07:22:28 PM
You are aware there there's plenty of pre-existing free browser plug-ins and software which allow you to download YouTube videos, right?  If you're not too arsed about the original content and ads, there's sod all reason to pay for YouTube Premium.

I don't use a comp because I have to use one for work and I don't wanna use one when I'm chillin. But good point.

Also the YT Primo is way better quality and fast.

£12 is think. Total shit and a rip.

Twed

It's $18 for a family plan here, which is okay if you share it with lots of people so that none of you have to see YouTube ads anymore.

The idea of watching any of the original content is a fucking crime. They'd have to pay me.

Phil_A

Wait didn't they try this already but it was called something else? Youtube Red?

peanutbutter

The day youtube stops letting adblockers work and kills youtube-dl is gonna be a rough day for me. Honestly think the only reason they haven't gotten rid of either so far is because Google's own employees don't want them gone.

Twed

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 04, 2019, 09:01:37 PM
The day youtube stops letting adblockers work and kills youtube-dl is gonna be a rough day for me. Honestly think the only reason they haven't gotten rid of either so far is because Google's own employees don't want them gone.
Good luck with them killing youtube-dl. If your browser can display it, youtube-dl can download it (with modification).

imitationleather

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 04, 2019, 09:01:37 PM
The day youtube stops letting adblockers work and kills youtube-dl is gonna be a rough day for me.

Apparently there's still enough people out there not blocking ads to allow PewDiePie to become the richest man on earth.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 08:28:59 PM
It's $18 for a family plan here, which is okay if you share it with lots of people so that none of you have to see YouTube ads anymore.

The idea of watching any of the original content is a fucking crime. They'd have to pay me.
That "Cobra Kai" was decent (the couple of free episodes of it I watched, I mean). And that "Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes On Television" was really good. Although I didn't even realise it had had a second season and been cancelled since the last time I looked, which indicates Youtube might want to up their advertising game a little.

earl_sleek

Vsauce has made the Mindfield episodes free until the end of the year. I've watched about a season and a half; they're worth watching, but not paying for, and certainly not on their own.

olliebean

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 09:08:05 PM
Good luck with them killing youtube-dl. If your browser can display it, youtube-dl can download it (with modification).

Not if it's got certain types of DRM. For example it no longer works for Taskmaster (or anything else on the UKTVPlay website). I don't think it ever worked for Channel 4. It certainly doesn't work for stuff like Netflix or Prime Video.

Twed

It will always be possible to rip any video your browser can display. Somebody will always bother making a tool like that for a site as big as YouTube.

The capability exists for Netflix, even if youtube-dl didn't choose to bear the brunt for being the ones to develop it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 08:28:59 PM

Adblock does that. Presumably any chrome variant that allows plugins will do it on mobile too.

Twed

AdBlock doesn't install itself on every device you're signed into with your Google account (desktop, work desktop, phone, home laptop, streaming media box) or do the tech support of getting everybody you add to the plan set up though.

olliebean

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 11:48:54 PM
It will always be possible to rip any video your browser can display. Somebody will always bother making a tool like that for a site as big as YouTube.

The capability exists for Netflix, even if youtube-dl didn't choose to bear the brunt for being the ones to develop it.

It obviously exists as there are people doing it, but not with any easily available tools afaics.

(And obviously you can rip anything via screen capture software, but it's hardly original quality.)

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Phil_A on November 04, 2019, 08:40:36 PM
Wait didn't they try this already but it was called something else? Youtube Red?

Comes with premium redtube account

Twed

Quote from: olliebean on November 05, 2019, 10:56:11 AM
It obviously exists as there are people doing it, but not with any easily available tools afaics.

(And obviously you can rip anything via screen capture software, but it's hardly original quality.)
Modified headless browser.

Somebody can still build it into a tool that's as easy to use as youtube-dl. The reason nobody has is that there's a thieves code of honor with this stuff, because as soon as it becomes public Netflix would start lawsuiting people into the sun.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 11:48:54 PM
It will always be possible to rip any video your browser can display. Somebody will always bother making a tool

You don't even need a tool.  Chrome and Firefox both come with a "developer tools" option built in which can be used to download almost any streaming content.

Twed

It's good for things where the embedding is just a full video file served from a page, but that will fail on actual streams and those annoying videos that are sliced up into little pieces where every ten second segment is a separate file. As well as Netflix etc. which obviously don't just embed a big MP4 in a webpage.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Twed on November 05, 2019, 03:15:45 PM
It's good for things where the embedding is just a full video file served from a page, but that will fail on actual streams and those annoying videos that are sliced up into little pieces where every ten second segment is a separate file. As well as Netflix etc. which obviously don't just embed a big MP4 in a webpage.

When that happens, try spoofing as different devices.  Some devices can't deal with a sliced up file and need to be served a complete one.

Twed

Those are often encoded in lower quality profiles though. Another reason why I find youtube-dl to be good for most stuff.

olliebean

Quote from: Twed on November 05, 2019, 06:04:21 PM
Those are often encoded in lower quality profiles though. Another reason why I find youtube-dl to be good for most stuff.

Aside from that fact that even for videos that are served as one file, it's just easier than arsing around with the developer tools.

buntyman

I'm a subscriber and think it's worth every penny. The no adverts, easy downloading and ability to listen to videos with this phone screen off are all big plus points for me. It also includes a Google play music subscription so quite a good deal in my opinion.