Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tory Book of Lies

Started by Buelligan, November 05, 2019, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I thought it might be useful for those door-knocking for Labour and the like to compile a handy list of talking points.  Here's one from today (and the past)

Quote from: The BBCA government plan to create 200,000 new homes for first-time buyers has resulted in no homes being built, the National Audit Office has found.

Announced in 2014, "starter homes" were meant to be aimed at those under the age of 40 and sold at a 20% discount.

But legislation to take the project forward was never passed.

According to the National Audit Office (NAO), between 2015-16 and 2017-18, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) spent almost £174m on acquiring and preparing sites originally intended for building starter homes.

These were in places such as Plymouth, Bury, Basildon, Stockport, Bridgwater, Cinderford and Bristol.

But the spending watchdog said the sites were all now being used for housing more generally, only some of which was affordable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50296672

The tories are currently promising all kinds of sweeties to the kiddies, this shows how empty their promises are and how profligate they are with public money even in times of Austerity where people have been allowed to die from want on their watch.

How can anyone trust a thing they say?

NJ Uncut

Private Eye had a cover a few issues ago, the legacy of Theresa May. It was a blank page.

So nice joke, but I, and a lot of other readers judging from the letters page, wrote in what was missing, ranging from Grenfell to selling weapons to the Saudis

I think you could make quite a powerful list. I ran out of space! Here's one I nicked from Facebook

What I'm saying is you can bullet point their disastrous recent legacy. You'll still get people who dismiss it, but I've already talked my uncle - a Labour Councillor who doorsteps people and is a literal Communist - and he likes this format as they already give out information, and people argue with rhetoric but it's harder to deal with flat, unemotive facts and figures (cue the Fake News lot, I suppose)

I think no punches should be pulled. Don't even make it pro Labour - make it anti Tory. You can dislike Labour all you want, folks, looking at what the Tories have done, surely enough is enough

idunnosomename

Ree-Mogg just said on his LBC podiumGrenfell people lacked common sense which is just about the worst thing ever since it was cunts like him who covered the building in deathtrap cladding despite residents protestations

NJ Uncut

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 05, 2019, 10:39:10 AM
Ree-Mogg just said on his LBC podiumGrenfell people lacked common sense which is just about the worst thing ever since it was cunts like him who covered the building in deathtrap cladding despite residents protestations

Yeah, we had that on in the office.

It's not even true - just look at the inquiry, what firefighters advised, what was noticed by the residents beforehand

There's two possibilities:

1) He's that blinkered and thick so has no business "speaking out"
2) He's fully aware he's lying and has no business "speaking out"

Kryton

Thanks for sharing this Buelligan.

Here's another link with a shitload of information and further links (from 2011-2018).

http://www.thejist.co.uk/politics/a-list-of-alleged-conservative-lies-corruption-and-incompetence/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unfortunately a pile of stats mean nothing to people who vote on personalities or converge around slogans (get Brexit done)

You have to work out how their brain works then fit the argument around it.

Buelligan

You're completely beer about that wooden gables.

olliebean

What he said is not just insulting and offensive, it's irresponsible and dangerous. He's essentially told people who find themselves in a fire that they should ignore the advice and instructions of professional firefighters.

EOLAN

What the fucking hell. I mean the bar I have set for many Tories and in particular Rees-Mogg is very low but oh my fucking god this is an absolute vile disgusting arrogant snobbish piece of misinformed filth to be spouting. And yet they are going to be shouts of Corbyn and co. being among the North London elites.

NJ Uncut

Mogg's apologised... without the word sorry!

"I profoundly apologise."

"What I meant to say is that I would have also listened to the fire brigade's advice to stay and wait at the time.

"However, with what we know now and with hindsight I wouldn't and I don't think anyone else would.

"I would hate to upset the people of Grenfell if I was unclear in my comments. With hindsight and after reading the report no one would follow that advice. That's the great tragedy."

Fuck off, sunshine.

idunnosomename

Quote from: olliebean on November 05, 2019, 11:43:18 AM
What he said is not just insulting and offensive, it's irresponsible and dangerous. He's essentially told people who find themselves in a fire that they should ignore the advice and instructions of professional firefighters.
yeah well to be honest he probably would because firemen are just burly yobbos. This Rees Mogg is saving his own posterior!

Buelligan

But staying put is the absolute worst thing he could do!

This charming man

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Rees Mogg is a willing outrider for extremism. He is happy to be the one making the fringe remarks as it makes the leader look more sensible while simultaneously normalising the opinion by using his own power to project it.

Then as long as it gets shared by outraged lefties we do the work for them. Hence the above expression.

Buelligan

So the clever strategy is just to nod along (in case people think we're outraged)?  Interesting.

chveik

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 05, 2019, 12:43:51 PM
Then as long as it gets shared by outraged lefties we do the work for them. Hence the above expression.

u ok hun?

bgmnts

Is this book like the Necronomicon?

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: bgmnts on November 05, 2019, 01:10:01 PM

Jimmy Savilles old favorite annual event

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on November 05, 2019, 01:10:01 PM

Did Enid Blyton write that one too?

madhair60

Quote from: Buelligan on November 05, 2019, 01:59:10 PM
Did Enid Blyton write that one too?

No but she did write the spin-off series, The F'taghn Five

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 05, 2019, 12:59:02 PM
lol look whos in on the damage control

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1191672868238745600?s=19

QuoteI know it's fashionable, but even in 2019 there is nothing big or clever about shooting the messenger - tweets or retweets here aren't necessarily my view

Buelligan

Who cares about being big or clever?  What about good old fashioned fun?  No time for that anymore I suppose?

Kryton

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2019, 02:08:35 PM
No but she did write the spin-off series, The F'taghn Five

Very good!

That's the one where Julian discovers Uncle Quentin's ritual sacrifices on Kirrin island and Aunt Fanny is driven mad by the stars re-aligning which symbolise the birth of Shoggoth's spawn. Timmy saves the day by barking and alerting a friendly police-officer and they all go home to lashings of ginger beer and hard boiled eggs (except of course Dick who was killed).

Buelligan

Technically, -5 f'taghns till Brexit today.  Though, of course, that was a lie. 

Blue Jam

bgmnts

Buelligan

Yeah, I saw that, Jesus, it's shocking stuff.  I sometimes feel like something's slipped in the cogs of reality.  Like today, story about no houses built, money spent, promises unfulfilled, everyone shrugs.  Story about Rees Mogg not giving a solitary fuck, criticising, the victims of Grenfell, everyone shrugs.  Story about Government suppressing a report into Russian attacks on British elections and referendum, everyone shrugs.  Story about Tory worker and prospective parliamentary candidate undermining a rape trial for a mate and his tory bosses shrugging, everyone shrugs... 

That's just one random day.  Something is wrong.  Very wrong.

Blue Jam

It was the "But she was a slag, Your Honour" defence as well. Lovely bloke.

The Grenfell victims, rape victims... Who else have the Tories deemed deserving of misfortune today?

Fambo Number Mive

Tories editing BBC interview to make Keir Starmer look bad. https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1191732381306277890

With obligatory non-defence from Tory tweeter at the bottom