Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tory Book of Lies

Started by Buelligan, November 05, 2019, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 20, 2019, 11:09:18 AM
The BBC's Media Editor allaying people's fears:

"It is perhaps arguable that, like the doctored video of Sir Keir Starmer a fortnight ago, the re-branding of CCHQ as a fact-checking service falls into the broad category known as satire"

Given its current output it's perfectly feasible for the BBC to have no concept of satire.

#satire

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on November 20, 2019, 03:55:15 PM
It's not a stretch though. It is fucking ridiculous. What is the satirical intent? The humour? It is clearly misinformation

The full statement, to me, says 'To be fair, one could argue it was some form of satire - but that's pretty much bollocks, the intent was clearly to mislead'

I disagree that there there is any way of looking at it as satire, but thee BBC aren't defending this, they are saying it was out of order. Not that it will be on the BBC news or anything. Perhaps it will be discussed on some political shows like Victoria Derbyshire.

phantom_power

What is the point of even putting forward a possibility that isn't even possible though? It is letting them off the hook by even mentioning that option.

To be fair, they could have been brainwashed by shape-shifting aliens - but that's pretty much bollocks

BlodwynPig

Hell of a lot of that, even on here. Excusing criminal or immoral behaviour like it's some question of semantics. Down with this liberalism. Its why evil persists

phantom_power

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 20, 2019, 08:07:47 PM
Hell of a lot of that, even on here. Excusing criminal or immoral behaviour like it's some question of semantics. Down with this liberalism. Its why evil persists

That sounds awfully right wing

Noonling

Cuellar

Blodwyn doesn't have a right-wing bone in his body. He now runs a nightclub in Thanet, called 'Thatchers'.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on November 20, 2019, 08:17:29 PM
That sounds awfully right wing

"Awfully"?

Its so right wing its left wing.

Didnt realise wanting criminals punished was now right wing

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on November 20, 2019, 08:00:08 PM
What is the point of even putting forward a possibility that isn't even possible though? It is letting them off the hook by even mentioning that option.

To show they reached a considered opinion by trying to see the best excuse... but then firmly stating they reject that, and considered the intent was to deceive.

Of course I think the BBC is biased and needs to be pressured to change, but the example given was out of context and I provided the full context, which should be of interest unless one would rather have their views confirmed at the expense of fuller information.

Channel 4 News reporter Ciaran Jenkins showed incredible restraint earlier when interviewing Michael Gove on the underhand Twitter stunt.  When shown the tweets on Jenkins' phone, Gove refused to look at them and inferred that the reporter might've tampered with the content.  If I'd been Jenkins, I don't think I could've restrained myself from repeatedly punching Gove's smug wee Pob-like face.

olliebean

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 20, 2019, 07:57:33 PM
I disagree that there there is any way of looking at it as satire, but thee BBC aren't defending this, they are saying it was out of order.

Apart from Kuenssberg, who described it as "a really daft row to pick."

Dr Rock

And I'd say she was ''a really daft cow to pick''  (as your top political reporter, BBC)

gib

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 20, 2019, 08:32:00 PMDidnt realise wanting criminals punished was now right wing

The cotton wool brigade would send them all on a safari or something.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe claim: Boris Johnson unexpectedly unveiled the Conservatives' plan to raise the threshold at which people start paying National Insurance contributions. He said: "If we're lucky enough to be elected, so the first Budget we will go up to the £9,500 threshold and that will, as I say, put £500 into the pockets of everybody."

Reality Check verdict: That's not the correct figure. The Conservatives' own press release says the benefit from raising the threshold to £9,500 in 2020-21 would be £100 per year. The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) says it would be £85 per year...

Or did Johnson use the wrong figure deliberately to get people talking about the proposed NI cut, without mentioning the effect it could have on people's benefits and pensions.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on November 20, 2019, 10:42:38 PM
The cotton wool brigade would send them all on a safari or something.

huge plasma screen TVs for Countdown 24/7

Chairman Yang

Here's a fun one! @Conservatives releasing footage of Jess Phillips with doctored chyrons to give the impression she was talking about the Labour manifesto.

https://twitter.com/adamkeyworth/status/1197475311761461250

Can't wait to hear how "It's satire, mate"

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe Conservatives have set up a fake website purporting to contain Labour's manifesto, in a bid to trick voters looking for the document.

The governing party paid Google to promote its website, labourmanifesto.co.uk, to the top of its search results for people searching for the opposition plan.

The move is the latest underhand tactic employed by the Tories, who were earlier this week accused of running an authoritarian-style disinformation campaign to confuse voters about opposition plans...

Other than literally being called "labourmanifesto.co.uk" the new website features a picture of Jeremy Corbyn and the top and a headline "labour's 2019 manifesto"...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-fake-labour-manifesto-website-fact-check-general-election-a9212076.html

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 20, 2019, 09:24:32 PM
Channel 4 News reporter Ciaran Jenkins showed incredible restraint earlier when interviewing Michael Gove on the underhand Twitter stunt.  When shown the tweets on Jenkins' phone, Gove refused to look at them and inferred that the reporter might've tampered with the content.  If I'd been Jenkins, I don't think I could've restrained myself from repeatedly punching Gove's smug wee Pob-like face.

HYYYYYYPERRRRRRRTEEEEEEEEEXTTTTTTT

Michael Gove interview on truth, lies and Brexit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2zT9-B2X4

BlodwynPig

When does this shit get criminalised? Fucking desperados

Rizla

yeah what the fuck is with this wile e coyote dick dastardly bullshit? fucking twats.

imitationleather

I think these daily doses of lies could backfire for the cunts. People actually tend to care a lot about fair play.

BlodwynPig

In the great vacuum of tory and lib dem policy, this is what breeds

idunnosomename

"Ooooh nonononoo!"

Gove is just playing a fucking clown these days.

Quote from: imitationleather on November 21, 2019, 02:59:31 PM
I think these daily doses of lies could backfire for the cunts. People actually tend to care a lot about fair play.

Only the most politically engaged will hear about them though. The Beeb will just laugh it off, if they even reported on it.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Quote on November 21, 2019, 03:09:57 PM
Only the most politically engaged will hear about them though. The Beeb will just laugh it off, if they even reported on it.
i think some journos are getting a bit pissed off with it tho

Fambo Number Mive

Blue Jam

Blumf

Kinder, gentler...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-candidate-general-election-disabled-people-money-sally-ann-hart-a9235281.html?amp
A Conservative candidate has told voters that disabled people and those with learning disabilities should be paid less because some "don't understand money".

Seems perfectly reasonable. You loony lefties will be complaining about forced sterilisation next!

Fuck me! And the worst part is, you know most their voters wouldn't give a shit. So long as their taxes don't go up.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Tories and tory voters are cunts what else is there to say

imitationleather