Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tory Book of Lies

Started by Buelligan, November 05, 2019, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on November 06, 2019, 09:10:05 AM
What kind of "joke" intentionally undermines a rape trial for a friend?  What kind of "joke" suppresses reports into attacks by other sovereign states on its own democracy?  What kind of "joke" promises homes to young people who cannot get onto the housing ladder, spends £174 million of taxpayer's money in a time of Austerity to get the land and then allows that land to be used for houses that do not fulfill those requirements (expensive houses)?  What kind of privileged uncaring pointless "joke" lolls on the benches of the HoC and sees itself as completely superior and removed from the people that are living and dying needlessly in their care?

This is just a snapshot illustration, one day, of humour from these funny people.

If you think they're a "safe pair of hands", you're a fool, confusing them not screwing you personally over yet for some kind of good intention.  Some kind of decent plan.  They don't give a fuck about you (apart from your vote) any more than they care about all the other millions of anonymous people they damage and destroy.  The thing that's preserved you so far is that you haven't been in their way.

The post I couldn't be bothered to write.  Thanks Buells!

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 07:06:10 PM
Typical hysteria from the usual quarters  re: my Tories comment.

The fact is, whether it's pallitable or not, all most people want to see is that their bins are collected on time, there's food on the shelves in the supermarket, and that, should they lose their job, there's some kind of safety net in place. That's it. All theses basic elements are there with the Tories. This isn't anything to do with thinking the Tories are good or actively liking them, it's about understanding the thought process of the average functional adult. Most people aren't ideologues. They don't give a shit about Thatcher and probably couldn't even spell 'neoliberalism'. They just want to see the wheels of industry turning and people who can give them a plausible chance at self-betterment. It's really no more complicated than that.

N.B. for the truly thick who need it spelling out: I'm not advocating voting for the Tory party. I'm spelling out why people vote for them. I'll repeat that: I'm spelling out why people vote for them, not making an argument for why they should be in power.

You are defending people voting Tory using arguments that do not hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

I'll reiterate that using slightly different words in case you are communicating in the way you need people to speak to you rather than just being a cunt:  You are defending people's decision to vote Tory using absolutely stupid reasoning.

None of what you said about the Tories there is correct, which means you have not shown a solid basis for people to vote Tory beyond them being ignorant.

Okay?  I hope this has helped you out of your rut today.

bgmnts

The Book of Lies has Tories in it
In fact that's where Tories come from
Some of them are fucking mental
But most them are really dumb

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 06, 2019, 07:15:24 PM
People don't think people aren't going to have their bins collected. Plenty are obsessed with immigration and the 'muslim menace'. Many Tory voters number one reason for voting Tory is they think Labour will give their money to scroungers and migrants.

Even assuming that's true (and I personally think you're off you're head if you believe most people are voting Tory to 'keep the Muslims out') immigration has only become a concern during the latter half of this decade. It still doesn't go anyway to explaining the Tories success at the ballot box pretty much every GE since the Chartists.

Take a look around you. And I mean outside - not on Twitter. People in the main are not ideological. They simply want their kids fed, a decent hospital to die in, and for the traffic lights  to function when they drive to work in the morning. That you think otherwise, I suspect, might be one reason you're failing to win at the ballot. Another commonly observed trait of most people is they don't take kindly to people assuming they're ignorant or evil.

Dr Rock

'Many' and 'most' have different meanings.

Like many people vote Tory because they think it makes them posh.

Quoteimmigration has only become a concern during the latter half of this decade.

You're mental.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 07:38:41 PM
Take a look around you. And I mean outside - not on Twitter. People in the main are not ideological. They simply want their kids fed, a decent hospital to die in, and for the traffic lights  to function when they drive to work in the morning. That you think otherwise, I suspect, might be one reason you're failing to win at the ballot. Another commonly observed trait of most people is they don't take kindly to people assuming they're ignorant or evil.

I don't go on Twitter. I do come from a large family full of working-class (some now quite well-off, some not) Tories and have heard the mix of reasons they vote Tory for decades. And it's not because they have no ideological views and only care about whether the fucking traffic lights work.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Replies From View on November 06, 2019, 07:28:38 PM
You are defending people voting Tory using arguments that do not hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

I'll reiterate that using slightly different words in case you are communicating in the way you need people to speak to you rather than just being a cunt:  You are defending people's decision to vote Tory using absolutely stupid reasoning.

None of what you said about the Tories there is correct, which means you have not shown a solid basis for people to vote Tory beyond them being ignorant.

Okay?  I hope this has helped you out of your rut today.

Jesus Christ. It's like arguing with my ex gf. I'm not defending anything you turnip. I'm giving a plausible explanation of why people vote Conservative - or at least more plausible than the suggestion that most people are uncaring sociopaths.

I actually went out of my way to explain this by repeating it twice, and it still didn't sink in with some of you. I shouldn't be surprised by now I suppose, but it still manages to astound me.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 06, 2019, 07:49:35 PM
I don't go on Twitter. I do come from a large family full of working-class (some now quite well-off, some not) Tories and have heard the mix of reasons they vote Tory for decades. And it's not because they have no ideological views and only care about whether the fucking traffic lights work.

I suspect your family is an anomaly in that case - the only full-on racists I've met have consistently voted BNP.

Zetetic

Can you be a racist but not a full-on racist?

Is it possible to hold down a job while being a full-on racist? Hobbies? (Edit: Other than employment and recreational activities that are themselves manifestations of racism.)

Dr Rock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
QuoteIn the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
Jesus Christ. It's like arguing with my ex gf.

Almost as if it's you, isn't it.

Johnny Yesno

should [people] lose their job, there's some kind of safety net in place. That's it. All theses basic elements are there with the Tories.

CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

The Culture Bunker

It's a funny thing that I come from a largely working class family who have often banged on about stuff like migrants "coming here", despite living in an area that must have one of the lowest percentage of immigration in the country. Now that they've got me marrying someone from a predominately Muslim country, seeing the hoops we have to jump through so she can live with me, they suddenly have a different perspective.

People believe any old shit until they're in some way affected by the issue.

BlodwynPig

Its a good job muslims did come over here or we'd still be dining on battered saveloy as our yearly 'classy meal out'

The fact is, whether it's pallitable or not, all most people want to see is that their bins are collected on time, there's food on the shelves in the supermarket, and that, should they lose their job, there's some kind of safety net in place. That's it. All theses basic elements are there with the Tories. This isn't anything to do with thinking the Tories are good or actively liking them, it's about understanding the thought process of the average functional adult. Most people aren't ideologues. They don't give a shit about Thatcher and probably couldn't even spell 'neoliberalism'. They just want to see the wheels of industry turning and people who can give them a plausible chance at self-betterment. It's really no more complicated than that.

If these apparently universal considerations are the reasons why people vote Tory, then why aren't the Tories universally popular?  Or do people in the areas that never elect Tories just not care about bins or food on the shelves?

Also, there's something grimly ironic about the notion that the Tories 'keep the wheels of industry turning'.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 06, 2019, 08:00:01 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Great comeback. Might as well post a Picard facepalm to go with it, if we're really doing it by the playbook.

Buelligan

Typical hysteria from the usual quarters  re: my Tories comment.

N.B. for the truly thick who need it spelling out: I'm not advocating voting for the Tory party. I'm spelling out why people vote for them. I'll repeat that: I'm spelling out why people vote for them, not making an argument for why they should be in power.

Whilst we're chatting about how thick people are and whether they can spell neoliberalism or not, whilst we're spelling things out, have a think about how to spell palatable.

Then have a spell on Universal Credit and see how you feel about safety nets, you howling arse.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 06, 2019, 10:56:37 PM
CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

You do this in multiple threads. It wasn't even funny or original in 2003. You are sub-normal.

Twit 2

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 11:27:55 PM
You do this in multiple threads. It wasn't even funny or original in 2003. You are sub-normal.

CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Buelligan on November 06, 2019, 11:25:46 PM
Whilst we're chatting about how thick people are and whether they can spell neoliberalism or not, whilst we're spelling things out, have a think about how to spell palatable.

Then have a spell on Universal Credit and see how you feel about safety nets, you howling arse.

I was on UC for 12 months a year and a half back. It was fine. I got my housing and expenses paid every month on time, the only ball ache was the waiting time until the first payment. Apologies that my first hand experience doesn't match with your third hand perceptions borrowed from whatever English newspapers you're reading in France. The system is far from perfect and there's lots that's not right about it, but there is a safety net in place and the vast majority of people escape it adjusted and unscathed.

My spelling isn't great when I'm posting from my iPhone. Hope that's okay as well.

Twit 2

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 11:41:48 PMthe only ball ache was the waiting time until the first payment.

Isn't this the big problem for most people? How did you cope with the not having money? Was it by having money/people to reply on/some form of backup/existing aspects of a good quality of life? Like lots of people don't (unless they're all making it up). I assume so, as you claim the whole experience wasn't too bad.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 11:41:48 PM
I was on UC for 12 months a year and a half back. It was fine. I got my housing and expenses paid every month on time, the only ball ache was the waiting time until the first payment. Apologies that my first hand experience doesn't match with your third hand perceptions borrowed from whatever English newspapers you're reading in France. The system is far from perfect and there's lots that's not right about it, but there is a safety net in place and the vast majority of people escape it adjusted and unscathed.

My spelling isn't great when I'm posting from my iPhone. Hope that's okay as well.

My problem wasn't with your spelling, there are plenty here who can't spell, my problem was with your talking about spelling (they probably couldn't even spell 'neoliberalism') and saying things like for the truly thick who need it spelling out, whilst making more than one spelling mistake yourself.

How did you get through the "ballache" of waiting for your first UC cheque?  How long was the wait?

Also, what does "the vast majority of people escape it adjusted and unscathed" mean?  Adjusted how?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI was on UC for 12 months a year and a half back.

Surely not with you superior breeding and education! And look how it has changed you...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Twit 2

Sleeping on a bed of pallits soon enough if Labour don't get in.

idunnosomename

Looking for dunces to check out. Any reccs

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 07, 2019, 12:49:52 AM
Looking for dunces to check out. Any reccs

Doesn't your browser feature the sexy "dunces in your area" pop-up?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
Jesus Christ. It's like arguing with my ex gf. I'm not defending anything you turnip. I'm giving a plausible explanation of why people vote Conservative - or at least more plausible than the suggestion that most people are uncaring sociopaths.

I actually went out of my way to explain this by repeating it twice, and it still didn't sink in with some of you. I shouldn't be surprised by now I suppose, but it still manages to astound me.

I think it's because the argument you're making is pointless.  You've got it into your head that we here lefties need it patiently explained to us that people vote Tory because they are ill-informed and not very politically engaged, rather than outright cunts.

But at no point have we ever not known this.  Yet you think you're dropping truth bombs and blowing our minds.

Maybe you don't read these threads very well, I don't know.  Or maybe you just need to turn people into cartoonish caricatures of lefties because bizarrely over-simplified and broken arguments are what drive you forward. 

But if you wonder why people respond to you a certain way all the time it's because your swaggering condescension is completely unwarranted.

Fambo Number Mive

"expenses"

How did you manage to cope with utlitity bills, food, transport and other essentials such as binbags on UC?

Replies From View

I was on UC for 12 months a year and a half back. It was fine.

For me this is archived alongside "I would have used my superior powers of intuition and intellect to survive Grenfell" under C for Cunt.