Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music like the Final Fantasy soundtracks

Started by alan nagsworth, November 06, 2019, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

The early ones I mean. Final Fantasy 9 and owt before that.

I'm having one of my occasional little Uematsu freak outs because this shit is amazing and so evocative and charming. I was listening to Everything Ecstatic by Four Tet yesterday and it struck me that behind the scattered drums and other abstract organic textures there's a real vibe that's similar to Uematsu in there. Similarly there's the free keyboard albums that d'Eon put out which also really sound like his work.

I'm not really looking for other soundtracks as such because I'm worried they won't be relatable in terms of evoking certain scenes for a game I'm unfamiliar with. Are there any bands/artists youse lot know that make this sorta stuff?

NoSleep

Angelo Badalamenti's work on Twin Peaks was a big influence on FFVII. Likewise Twin Peaks itself on the game (no coincidence that Sephiroth has a resemblance to BOB).

https://vimeo.com/18413925

alan nagsworth

Great shout. I only just got around to watching TP recently (though I screeched to a halt after the first episode of The Return because I thought it was shite and am very daunted by the thought of god knows how many hours of more shite after really struggling with the latter half of the second season), and I immediately noticed the similarities. The main theme has a melancholic horror that underlies its sickly sweetness which tells a story much in the same way the FF music does, and the overtly corny jazz noir stuff is also REALLY prevalent in the classic PS1 game soundtracks.

NoSleep

I hope you persist with Season 3 as it's probably the single best TV series ever. It's nothing like the shiteness that crept in in season 2 but it is closer in mood to Fire Walk With Me, which didn't get a good reaction from fans of the first two seasons when it first came out but in hindsight has grown in reputation.

All I'll tell you about season 3 is "Episode 8".

alan nagsworth

Haha yes yes I know about the reputation of that episode. I will return to it soon. I've certainly not forgotten about it, not least of all because at its ... trying not to say "peak" here ... at its zenith, it's fucking remarkable, and I was personally captivated, wide eyed and mouth agape, at Fire Walk With Me!

Sin Agog

Some of the Japanese takes on Neoclassical Dorkwave have a similar vibe, espesh Kuroyuri Shimai (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcB3HC9eV0o&t=575s).  Not really a big fan, but I remember the band Worlds End Girlfriend having an album that sounded like it could have been written by Nobuo.

Capt.Midnight

FF7 features lots of similar motifs in Harold Faltermeyer's Running Man OST, particularly this track: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmkzdgIVX8&list=PLDmdF1ma6cZqGhl-TjpF9aUWVybTYIbDt&index=8

The scale progressions and general tone sound a likely inspiration behind the Midgar area music. Both feature a dystopian city, so perhaps that's what triggered his inspiration.

bgmnts

I'd genuinely suck Uematsu's cock. And Yamaoka's

They could proper bukkake me.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: bgmnts on November 06, 2019, 09:05:53 PM
I'd genuinely suck Uematsu's cock. And Yamaoka's

They could proper bukkake me.

That was a bit rude that mate.

bgmnts

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on November 06, 2019, 09:35:38 PM
That was a bit rude that mate.

Sorry its just the last thing i'd cross of my bucketlist.

Its my final fantasy.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: bgmnts on November 06, 2019, 09:46:23 PM
Sorry its just the last thing i'd cross of my bucketlist.

Its my final fantasy.

No need to apologise. Carpe diem.

Flouncer

There's a fair bit of prog in the VII soundtrack; some cool time signature stuff going on, folky melodies juxtaposed with heavy bits, the sounds he used: organs, Moogy sounds, even Mellotron soundalike tones... I wasn't surprised to learn that he's a fan of Gabriel-era Genesis and King Crimson. If you listen to that kind of stuff you can see where some of it was coming from.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on November 06, 2019, 09:03:27 PM
FF7 features lots of similar motifs in Harold Faltermeyer's Running Man OST, particularly this track: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UYmkzdgIVX8&list=PLDmdF1ma6cZqGhl-TjpF9aUWVybTYIbDt&index=8

The scale progressions and general tone sound a likely inspiration behind the Midgar area music. Both feature a dystopian city, so perhaps that's what triggered his inspiration.

Holy shit this bangs, very good call. Thanks.