Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ASA rules DWP Metro ads are misleading

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 06, 2019, 10:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: bgmnts on November 06, 2019, 01:53:14 PM
I've been out of work since June and 300 a month is piss easy to live on.

Do they pay your rent?

Even so, 75 quid a week, with utilities, food and everything else, do you live with your parents?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on November 10, 2019, 12:40:17 PM
Do they pay your rent?

Even so, 75 quid a week, with utilities, food and everything else, do you live with your parents?

He said that was a joke, although not sure in what way.

bgmnts

The idea of living on 300 pound a month is ludicrous and absurd, that's the joke. Apologies though.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: bgmnts on November 06, 2019, 02:41:49 PM

If anyone can independently live healthily on 310 quid a month then fuck knows.

Even if you wreck your body eating only a pack of asda smart price instant noodles every other day you still wont afford rent or utilities. If there are places with rent below 300 quid fuck me I wanna live there.

I never experienced any hardship living on £300 quid a month, albeit with my rent paid and council tax frozen. £25 per week on food for a single person should be more than doable. The weekly shop I've just done now (as an employed person) came under £20. No instant noodles/chocolate/crisps in there. Plenty of veggies and complex carbs.

In all honesty, I enjoyed every moment of my year out of work - wandering round second hand bookshops in central London, going to the park in summer with my gf, enjoying a cigar by the river. Genuinely one of the best times of my life. Everyone's mileage will vary of course. I tend to thrive in my own company and have never felt the need to keep up with the Jones by buying expensive bit of kit. I'm also only moderately social. If you have a huge crowd of friends who demand your company down the pub every other day, you're probably not going to have a good time.

Fambo Number Mive

How could you have afforded to buy cigars when on £300 a month?

How did you get on with utility bills, which aren't covered by benefits?

Also, as mentioned, it's not just food you need to buy but toothpaste, toothbrushes, shower gel, toilet paper (unless you used dog poo bins at 2am or something), kitchen roll etc.

Buses are of course much cheaper in London than the rest of the UK, can't remember how cheap they are now but you have to bear in mind that if you lived outside London you might have been paying £4 per return bus journey.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 10, 2019, 04:32:59 PM
I never experienced any hardship living on £300 quid a month, albeit with my rent paid and council tax frozen. £25 per week on food for a single person should be more than doable. The weekly shop I've just done now (as an employed person) came under £20. No instant noodles/chocolate/crisps in there. Plenty of veggies and complex carbs.

In all honesty, I enjoyed every moment of my year out of work - wandering round second hand bookshops in central London, going to the park in summer with my gf, enjoying a cigar by the river. Genuinely one of the best times of my life. Everyone's mileage will vary of course. I tend to thrive in my own company and have never felt the need to keep up with the Jones by buying expensive bit of kit. I'm also only moderately social. If you have a huge crowd of friends who demand your company down the pub every other day, you're probably not going to have a good time.

You absolutely have to be trolling at this point, and for what I've posted on the previous page I find it genuinely offensive.

If you've ever set foot in a food bank - tip, you need to be referred - I bet you wouldn't Your Mileage May Vary them.

Guess who has been referred?

You're, to me, a subversive narrow minded apologist. Why you even think of the tone of the thread would dig this is beyond me.

My humble advice is read the previous page and stop pretending you're the only one who has been on UC. You're being needlessly contrary, for no reason - you've posted this in the Tory Lies thread, this thread was nearly dead. What the fuck are you trying to prove and why? I can't figure out your motivation, but it's genuinely upsetting.

My not so humble opinion is what you're posting is dreck, that at best - at absolute best - is so myopic it is literally offensive to anyone who has worn those shoes.

You aren't providing a much-needed other side of the coin. You just sound horrendously blinkered, and I'd take ten more years of my Universal Credit hell before I close my eyes and ears to others that are suffering.

I mean, fuck, two threads now - a Sorry To Hear That Mate would have meant the world to me, even now, yknow?

But the above is just subversive controversial affrontery and I just cannot take you seriously is if this all you can say about Universal Credit.

Edit: I also have to thank CaB as a whole. You've put up with my hair trigger temper, but this isn't it. I just don't want to think the "a sorry mate would've helped" is something anybody else should feel. You all were my safety net when I was able to sustain wanting to be here while my world collapsed. I thank anyone who has nodded, agreed or simply listened, and owe a debt to the myriad people who actually sympathised.

Dr Rock

I'm very happy you survived NJ, I remember doing my best to give you some hope that things would get better, as they would for me (and to a large extent they have for me too).

It seems tough for me to believe anyone could live on £300 a month (no rent/council tax), if you've got to pay utility bills (especially in winter), internet access, phone bill, tv licence, travel expenses, and over a longer period, buy new shoes/clothes, cleaning products, replace broken things - what if you're computer goes kablooey? What if your boiler breaks down? What if you have to keep visiting a sick relative who lives miles away?

I'd ask where SWP lives too - the cost of living can be a lot cheaper some places than others. Derby apparently has the lowest cost of living in the UK, for example. I only think you could happily manage is if you were one of those people who took great pleasure in being very careful with money anyway.

bgmnts

Yeah being out of work for a long period of time is fucking amazing.

Twat.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 10, 2019, 07:06:42 PM
I'm very happy you survived NJ, I remember doing my best to give you some hope that things would get better, as they would for me (and to a large extent they have for me too).

It seems tough for me to believe anyone could live on £300 a month (no rent/council tax), if you've got to pay utility bills (especially in winter), internet access, phone bill, tv licence, travel expenses, and over a longer period, buy new shoes/clothes, cleaning products, replace broken things - what if you're computer goes kablooey? What if your boiler breaks down? What if you have to keep visiting a sick relative who lives miles away?

I'd ask where SWP lives too - the cost of living can be a lot cheaper some places than others. Derby apparently has the lowest cost of living in the UK, for example. I only think you could happily manage is if you were one of those people who took great pleasure in being very careful with money anyway.

Thank you Doc and I member. I am glad to hear they have improved for you too! Things can never be perfect but let's settle for not outrageously bad :)

This Sony Walkman punter is a troll of the highest order innit. Never returns to a thread to answer anything. I can't see that as genuine. It ain't their WordPress

Jim Bob

Oooohhhh, hark at you.  Coming into this thread and bragging about how grand it is to be on benefits and what a cinch it is to live off such little money.  What are you, a poster boy for the Tories?  Some kind of handy living example of how easy the "dole scum" have it?  Skipping along the canals, love in arms, chomping on fine cigars, with nary a care in the world, if you please?  I've never heard the like! On yer bike, son. Go on, get outta it. Fack off.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 13, 2019, 08:33:14 AM
Oooohhhh, hark at you.  Coming into this thread and bragging about how grand it is to be on benefits and what a cinch it is to live off such little money.  What are you, a poster boy for the Tories?  Some kind of handy living example of how easy the "dole scum" have it?  Skipping along the canals, love in arms, chomping on fine cigars, with nary a care in the world, if you please?  I've never heard the like! On yer bike, son. Go on, get outta it. Fack off.

<3

Dr Rock

The only people who mind find it tough are those who live off Pot Noodles and takeaways, buy all the latest gadgets and like getting pissed down the pub every night. Apparently.

NJ Uncut

I don't think I'll be discussing the UK Minimum Wage with my friend on UC anytime soon.

Pay Reckoner
Results: How much do I earn?
You told us that you earn £233 monthly and that you work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (this is going off my last agreement for how long I'd spend looking for work a week)

From this, we calculate your earnings to be:

Monthly:   £233.00
Weekly:   £53.77
Daily:   £10.75
Hourly:   £1.34

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 13, 2019, 07:11:41 AM
This Sony Walkman punter is a troll of the highest order innit.

Nah, he's a typical tory twat.

Jim Bob

I think if anything, we can all agree upon the fact that Sony Walkman Prophecies is a person that does indeed exist.

Jockice

I've only just seen this thread but I'm really proud to say that the whole 'dumping the Metro' thing was started by friends - you could even say comrades - in Sheffield DPAC. I wasn't really involved - apart from writing a couple of articles on it for websites - as I was in a world of my own at the time and getting to the train station at 7am proved beyond me.  But there was much joy among us at the judgement. Meanwhile, I am involved with this, which I posted in another thread but nobody noticed. Give us yer fucking money, as Bob Geldof once said.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/activists-combine-to-offer-pip-assessment-recording-kits/?fbclid=IwAR2y8MoYth7cEd1srHA39qlpyk9GJiaxD0mU61wLFppCY7jYHnSNNOdWCpo

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ontherecordfund?utm_term=EE89z8PMR&fbclid=IwAR0gtG09HVcWRwD1MLsoBJMAB_5g2J67NYTlqzlg1rDbChPYVrBtOgzu9TA