Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:14:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harissa Paste

Started by Dex Sawash, November 06, 2019, 12:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Not the Labour backbencher, the foodstuff. I don't trust it. Have bought a few tubes and thrown out after a year.
It just tastes of rancid oil and metal tube, doesn't it? Haven't been willing to sacrifice an entire dish to find out if that is true.

What is a simple way to experience the brilliance of harissa?

poo

eat straight from dog's shitter

It's just a hot chilli paste. Smear some on some chicken and grill it.

king_tubby

Yeah, boil some new potatoes, drain 'em, couple of squeezes of harissa paste in the pan, stir about. Job done.

madhair60

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on November 06, 2019, 12:39:01 PM
Harissa? Explain it all.

That's who Jo Swinson looks like. Been bothering me for a while.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 06, 2019, 12:41:19 PM
That's who Jo Swinson looks like. Been bothering me for a while.

If Melissa Joan Hart didn't wash her hair properly or try her clothes on before buying them.

Sebastian Cobb

I've never seen it in tubes, only small cans.

Dex Sawash

Always tubes in America I think. This one's from france.

Twit 2

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 06, 2019, 12:06:16 PM
Not the Labour backbencher, the foodstuff. I don't trust it. Have bought a few tubes and thrown out after a year.
It just tastes of rancid oil and metal tube, doesn't it? Haven't been willing to sacrifice an entire dish to find out if that is true.

What is a simple way to experience the brilliance of harissa?

Homemade, Otterlengthy's recipe:

Put a red pepper under your grill until it's totally black all over (turn it every now and then).
Leave it to cool totally. Then peel the skin and discard the seeds.
While pepper's cooking, fry a chopped red onion, with some garlic and chillis. Add a teaspoon of caraway seed and a tablespoon of coriander and cumin seeds.

Blitz the onion mixture and the pepper with lemon juice, seasoning and plenty of olive oil.

Blinder Data

Harissa? I hardly know her!

Dex Sawash

Have tried now, fauxage discs on tortilla mit harissa.
Could stand about double that amount.
I fucking love harissa joan hart now.
Thanks CaB, thaB

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I have the less lazy but still quite lazy Harissa spice mix which you simply add oil to in order for it to paste the fuck up. It's fairly effective, less costly than buying it premixed in a jar and it lasts longer.

As for the flavour, get gassed if you don't like it. I've got some gas you can use for the task of gassing yersen, just ask.

AllisonSays

I make a nice chickpea and roasted aubergine stew where you add a couple of teaspoons of harrissa to the tomatoe base for some spice. I get mine in a fancy little jar from Waitrose.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 06, 2019, 02:18:13 PM
I have the less lazy but still quite lazy Harissa spice mix which you simply add oil to in order for it to paste the fuck up. It's fairly effective, less costly than buying it premixed in a jar and it lasts longer.

As for the flavour, get gassed if you don't like it. I've got some gas you can use for the task of gassing yersen, just ask.

Oh yeah also add a bit of smoked paprika and smoked rapeseed oil to the mix, works a charm if you detest smoked things and want to make yourself vomit, or alternatively love smoked things and wish to luxuriate in every mouthcranny of the flavour journey.

Blue Jam

Harissa in metal tubes? I've only ever seen it in glass jars, or as dry spice mix you have to make into a paste by adding oil and crushed garlic. I prefer the latter form, it lasts longer and the Seasoned Pioneers brand with branding design which  makes the little foil packets look like they come from a head shop are the best.

Putting it on chicken is weird and wrong though, put it on a leg of lamb instead, serve with mange tout steamed with mint and parsnips roasted in cumin, cor vat is laaaahverly

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pretty common in North African restaurants to get a tube of harissa paste (or similar equivalent) as a condiment.

Blue Jam

I must seek out a north African restaurant in Edinburgh then. Went to a great South African restaurant for my birthday but no harissa there of course, just had a lovely steak and me being forced to conclude that gangbangers, you've got to love 'em.

ZoyzaSorris

canadagoose

CaB has, yet again, reminded me that I need to buy some more harissa. I bought some the last time you reminded me of it, and it was really good. Top-tier condiment.

Dex Sawash

And I've been reminded to get in a new dog

imitationleather

Is this the woman who was in My Cousin Vinny?

Dex Sawash

Pinball

If it doesn't taste good smear on some Swinson. Then it will say it tastes just fine, and that it will be the next PM.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Pinball on November 06, 2019, 09:23:08 PM
If it doesn't taste good smear on some Swinson. Then it will say it tastes just fine, and that it will be the next PM.

I heard smears were going to become obsolete