Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Alun Cairns thing

Started by pancreas, November 06, 2019, 12:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Can someone nutshell this for me? Somehow a trial was derailed. How exactly?

idunnosomename

Shes a whore. You cant rape a whore, m'lud. Case closed

Blinder Data

In 2018, Cairns' underling and potential Tory AM Ross England intentionally referred to the sexual history of the victim in a rape trial in an apparently deliberate attempt to sabotage the trial. His pal was the rapist.

Cairns said he only found about England's actions last week but actually he got an email about it last year.

It's weird that being copied into the email is why he resigned, when the real issue is the structural one of the Welsh Tories continuing to support a scumbag rape apologist (the victim worked for the Tories, so it's a party issue too).

Anyway I'm not shedding any tears for old Cairnsy.

Buelligan

My understanding is that Ross England worked for Alun Cairns in his constituency office.  Ross England had a friend called James Hackett.  James Hackett was accused of rape and brought to trial for it.  Ross England was called as a witness at that trial.  Ross England was instructed that he should not refer to the complainant's relationships/sexual history in his evidence.  The judge involved made this clear at the beginning.  During his evidence, Ross England claimed that he had had casual sex with the complainant (this was denied by the complainant) and the judge in the case said

Quote from: His Honour Judge Hopkins"You have managed singlehanded, and I have no doubt it was deliberate on your part, to sabotage this trial".

A mistrial was declared.  James Hackett was convicted of rape at the subsequent retrial.

Ross England was then put up by the Conservative Party as a prospective parliamentary candidate for the Senedd.  When this little tale began to unravel, Alun Cairns, England's boss at the time of it all, was asked why he'd allowed/supported the candidature given that England has (apparently) conspired or single handedly, worked to undermine a criminal trial.  Cairns responded that he hadn't known until after the decision was made.  Evidence (emails) has now been uncovered which appear to prove that this was a lie and Cairns was aware of the situation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-50225606
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-50302173

Zetetic

And now he's resigned as Minister for Wales. Still standing for re-election though, I believe.

Zetetic

Cairns built a new Welsh Office next to Cardiff Central, with a room for Cabinet meetings (which won't happen) and, I believe, an apartment for the PM (who will never stay there).

Also proposed that English NHS functions should be moved to Wales so that Labour can't criticise the NHS in England.

Sebastian Cobb

Does this mean I'm not allowed to like Troublegum any more?