Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Personal problem du jour

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, April 01, 2005, 02:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schizophrenia... what's all that about then?

It's a good thing
0 (0%)
It's an awfully awfully bad thing and I don't think you should ever post here again
2 (6.7%)
We're not sure what schizophrenia is, actually
2 (6.7%)
Er....
10 (33.3%)
This poll is a complete waste of time
16 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: April 01, 2005, 02:08:46 PM

Adrian Brezhnev

I've had some terrible problems over the last few years, but sadly can not talk about them here for legal reasons.

hencole

If you don't mind answering. On what grounds does your wife think you're a schizophrenic? I presume you disagee with this accusation?

untitled_london

i'm a possible rapist
i'm a possible murderer
i'm a possible paedophile
i'm a possible nice guy
actually i think i'm pretty much a possible possible.

you see where i'm going with this.

wtf!

seriously man - thats f'king twisted, unless of course she/ her lawyer had submitted medical documents to suggest that was grounds to force a psych evaluation, in which case your lawyer would have informed you prior to the hearing (w/e its called).

obligitory, IANAL (i am not a lwayer) disclaimer, but sheesh, that really sucks ass man!

you have my sympathies.

InfiniteFury

Maybe they looked on here and saw the day you started 15 threads about what you were having on your toast?

Evil Knevil

Should take about 5 minutes for a Doctor to check you over. In fairness, you probably wouldn't be able to post here if you really were full blown schizo.

It might be longer if they don't find anything obviously wrong with you, and instead have to look for other things (bipolar, depression etc)

Isn't that ironic? Don't let them inject you with anything!

fanny splendid

Quote from: "hencole"If you don't mind answering. On what grounds does your wife think you're a schizophrenic? I presume you disagee with this accusation?

Have you not read his posts here?

Pinball

Sounds like a legal/delaying tactic. If your wife instigated that accusation, then I'd say you made a wise move in your personal life ;-)

Are you a schizophrenic? Well, it's simple really. Do you fulfil the DSM-IV criteria for schizophrenia? That's what the trick cyclist will check against. I'll copy and paste the relevant section from Oxford Textbook of Medicine. Also check out the Merck Manual medical textbook at www.merck.com

In addition to your lawyer, why not see an accountant to sequester your assets away as safely as possible? Also, why not allege psychiatric disorder against your wife? Seems a fair quid pro quo to me.
QuoteSchizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive–compulsive disorder, and personality disorder
S. Lawrie
Recent research, using reliable diagnostic criteria based on clinical features since diagnostic laboratory tests are not available, has established that all of these conditions have both biomedical and psychosocial components. The Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th edition (DSM-IV) has been most rigorously developed and is used here.

Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are psychoses, that is to say they include phenomena that qualitatively differ from everyday experience. Schizophrenia is characterized by delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech/behaviour, and negative symptoms.

Onset is in early adulthood (median age 25 years). The sex incidence is equal, but women tend to be affected later than men. The incidence is only 15 in 100 000 of the population per year, but the prevalence is about 5 in 1000 due to chronicity, and the lifetime risk is 1 per cent.

Aetiology
Genetic factors account for 80 per cent of the liability to schizophrenia, but no major genes have been identified. Having an affected relative increases the risk 5 to 50 times, depending on the relationship. Other risk factors include obstetric complications, developmental problems, and cannabis use, but these only double the risk. Stressful life events can be precipitants, but only in those otherwise predisposed.

There are subtle abnormalities of brain structure and function (particularly of the temporal and frontal lobes) in both chronic and first episode cases. Developmental changes in brain structure (for example, synaptic pruning) and function (for example, dopamine sensitivity) are thought to disrupt frontotemporal integration and bring on symptoms, but direct evidence is lacking.

Clinical features
Hallucinations and delusions are 'positive symptoms', that is, abnormal by their presence. Hallucinations are perceptions in the absence of stimuli. They are usually auditory 'voices' speaking the patients' thoughts or commenting on their actions. Hallucinations in other senses can occur but suggest a neurological disorder. Delusions are unshakeable false beliefs. Persecutory ('paranoid') delusions are common but occur in all psychoses. Delusions of passivity (actions or feelings 'made' by external forces) and other bizarre beliefs are more specific. The other positive symptom is 'thought disorder'—an illogical sequence of thoughts (as revealed in speech).

'Negative symptoms' are features that are abnormal by their absence. Common symptoms include a loss of emotion ('flat affect'), apathy, self-neglect, and social withdrawal. These may be prodromal, but are more common in chronic patients, and can be confused with depression or parkinsonism.

Differential diagnosis
Prodromal symptoms can be similar to depression. Delusions of passivity can be confused with obsessional ideas, but the latter are recognized as one's own. Drug intoxication can cause positive symptoms, but also disorientation. Neurological causes, for example temporal lobe epilepsy or brain tumours, are rare. The distinction of schizophrenia from bipolar disorder is based on whether psychotic or affective features predominate. Rarely, if both are present equally, a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder is appropriate.

Management
Acute positive symptoms generally respond well to any antipsychotic drug (Table 1). These work by dopamine-receptor blockade. The main adverse effects are sedation, weight gain, and extrapyramidal syndromes (acute dystonia, akathisia, parkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia). These are best avoided by minimizing dosage, but dystonias and parkinsonism respond to anticholinergics. Medication should be continued for at least 2 years to reduce relapse rates.

Patients often refuse medication, due to adverse effects or lack of insight. Some are suitable for depot medication (intramuscular injections of esterified antipsychotics, see Table 1). The new 'atypical' antipsychotics have fewer adverse effects, but this is primarily because they are prescribed in relatively low doses. It is claimed that they are effective in those with negative and treatment-resistant positive symptoms, but clozapine is the only proven such treatment. Clozapine is the definitive atypical antipsychotic, with relatively high serotonin:dopamine-receptor blockade, but carries a considerable risk of neutropenia and agranulocytosis. These treatments are not contraindicated in pregnancy, as they confer only a small increased risk of teratogenicity and an untreated psychosis is more dangerous.

There are few effective non-drug treatments. Cognitive therapy may reduce symptoms and improve drug compliance. Illness education reduces relapse rates, as does teaching social skills, but these may primarily work by improving drug compliance.

Primary prevention is not a realistic prospect until better understanding of the pathogenesis of schizophrenia allows early detection. There is, however, some evidence that earlier treatment with antipsychotics may be associated with a better prognosis.

Prognosis
The prognosis is generally poor. About 25 per cent of patients will only have one or two episodes, but most will suffer chronic symptoms, numerous relapses, unemployment, and social isolation. Most patients smoke heavily, and many abuse alcohol/drugs, resulting in a high premature mortality rate. Suicide is all too common, at 10 to 15 per cent over a lifetime.

bill hicks

Interestingly one of the two applications we recieved at work for the jobs going at the moment was from someone diagnosed as Schizoprhenic. The other guy had to ask us what Work History meant on the form.

The management will employ them both.

pillockandtwat

If confident that you are not suffering from mental illness, do not get tested.  Repeat: DO NOT GET TESTED. If you do go for a check-up, it could take ages, it might be difficult to disprove, it dignifies a fucking disgusting slur, and the mere fact you have gone for a psychological evaluation whatever the outcome can be used against you in court.  Litigate, but do not comply with her request.

Actually, she sounds like such a bitch (if you have no history of mental illness) you might consider commencing or at least threaten counter-litigation immediately.

You might also consider selling your story to the press, which will provide you with some money and help establish some sort of public record of your suffering. I think www.sellyourstory.something does do a lot of work with magainzes, although I can't vouch for them.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Evil Knevil"In fairness, you probably wouldn't be able to post here if you really were full blown schizo.
As counter-evidence I point you towards http://www.five.org.uk.  As the poor man says down the left-hand side, the diagnosis is indeed obvious.

Sorry to hear about this Mr. Brezhnev.  Not sure what course of action to suggest.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "bill hicks"Interestingly one of the two applications we recieved at work for the jobs going at the moment was from someone diagnosed as Schizoprhenic. The other guy had to ask us what Work History meant on the form.

Where in God's name do you work?  If you're not willing to say, then at least in what line of business?  (I seem to remember you've left W. H. Smugg's tender employ.)

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Evil Knevil"In fairness, you probably wouldn't be able to post here if you really were full blown schizo.
As counter-evidence I point you towards http://www.five.org.uk.  As the poor man says down the left-hand side, the diagnosis is indeed obvious.

Sorry to hear about this Mr. Brezhnev.  Not sure what course of action to suggest.

Yes, that's true, I suppose. Classically, though, full blown (positive) schizophrenia leaves you either "a danger to self, or others" or at least "unable to care for oneself". Anything else is just froth. Pinball believes in a logically consistant, but convoluted world of black helicopters etc, but I'd doubt he was mad....

But then again, I'm a student of Foucault, so I'm not so sure where reason and unreason shade into each other.

So, Mr. Brezhnev I recommend reading "Madness and Civilization".
I repeat, don't let them inject you with anything. *Insist* on atypical anti-psychotics if it comes to it.

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "bill hicks"Interestingly one of the two applications we recieved at work for the jobs going at the moment was from someone diagnosed as Schizoprhenic. The other guy had to ask us what Work History meant on the form.

Where in God's name do you work?  If you're not willing to say, then at least in what line of business?  (I seem to remember you've left W. H. Smugg's tender employ.)

They *should* hire the schizophrenic. If he's capable of working it's likely that his illness is controllable by meds. Work and social interaction have proven to be the best cures (rehabilitators?) for mental breakdown.

Quote from: "untitled_london"seriously man - thats f'king twisted.
Only if she has no reasonable grounds for it.  If she hasn't then she is indeed an evil bitch, and deserves everything she get.
But Adrian hasn't answered hencole's question.  Does he disagree with the accusation?

weekender

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"But Adrian hasn't answered hencole's question.  Does he disagree with the accusation?

...or does it depend on which voice he's asking at the time?

Come on, someone should ask these questions, it may as well be me.

pillockandtwat

Actually, I've just realised in my above post I seem to have implied that being diagnosed as schizophronic is a slur. Sorry. Being labelled a danger to your kids when you're not, that's the slur, innit.

Adrian Brezhnev

There's lots to tell you, but it's best I don't keep it on here for legal reasons in case details get picked up by search engine bots. I'll put it all back after Judgement Day!

SurferGhost

Just show them this place and ask for a couple of hundred other cases to be taken into consideration to give you some extenuating circumstances.

Aye, neither a nutter nor a nutter's partner be. A lot easier said than done, believe me I know.

Hm, if it's the subject of a court order there's probably not much you can do but grit your teeth (not literally, mind, that won't look good) and get through it. Above all don't go off on one about your missus, the most you should do is explain calmly that you don't agree that the whole rigmarole is necessary. In the end it comes down to how good an impression whoever is assessing you gets, they can dress the facts however they want to, whether you're off your chump or not.

EDIT: I am not a lawyer, et c

Pinball

Yes, be calm and collected throughout, as anything you say etc.

It sounds like she's using her psyche knowledge to gain some leverage, but medicalising/pathologising you is an extremely low tactic. It's not as bad as making an accusation of child abuse, though, I guess.

She seems to have neurotic tendencies, which should be investigated. By her accusation, I'd say there were grounds to believe this! At the least, she would learn that if she attacks you, you will reciprocate, and the best way to get her is via the official channels. Getting emotional will not help, and would be used against you.

Good luck!

Adrian Brezhnev

There used to be lots written here by me, but for the time being I've taken it off line, for, er, legal reasons and stuff.

burpmitosis

I don't even like kids, but I can't help but feel sorry for the ones that get caught up in this sort of thing.  It's unfair on you that you're being kept away from your son, but it's worse on the child.  You have to wonder what is going through his mother's mind - does she not think of her child's wellbeing at all?  Doesn't sound like it.  She sounds like a very messed up selfish person.

Your post made me quite angry for you, Adrian.  Hope it works out ok.

Adrian Brezhnev

Thanks. And thanks all of you.

At the risk of risking getting a slightly brown nose, I'd just like to say that considering that I have (probably) never met anyone that posts here, you have all been incredibly supportive in what you've written.

No, seriously, you have.

I know it will work out well in the end. Howard Jones once suggested that things can only get better. Well, he was probably right. Someone once told me once about a dream that someone had that he had dreamed that in the fields one day the corn gave him a sign- eleven sheaves of corn had all turned and bowed to his- and added that his sheaf was quit a sight to see. A fucking golden sheaf and tall, whereas the other blokes' were green and second-rate- and really rather small.

My point is that my life was largely excellent up to seven years ago. OK, very up and down, but on the whole positive. The last seven years though have been choc full of bad luck- all my money has gone and so has my career- so I reckon that I could now be in for seven years of considerably better luck.

So please remind me in 2012 to let you know how it all worked out.

In the mean time, I've just spent three hours with my solicitor going through the finer details of what went horribly wrong over the last nine years. Also, I wrote a couple of notes, well, 7000 words over the last couple of days about the first quarter-century of my life, which had the effect on me of realising that of course the whole thing is my fault. What on earth was I thinking, when I decided against cancelling the marriage?

Oh well, you live and well.

Sorry, but I can't go in to any specific details at the moment, for legal reasons.

hencole

Can anyone on here remind me what the background of this topic was? Unfortunately most of it has been removed for legal reasons which I guess have now passed.

I came to this thread having typed "Paranoid Personality" into the search engine because I've just ended a realtionship with someone who I believe is suffering from "Paranoid Personailty Disorder".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_personality_disorder

Basically the person I was with matched every criteria for this disorder and the only way I coped at the time was by agreeing with everything she said to the point that I almost forgot who I was. I went along with her grandoise fantasies about her success, that now seem quite flimsy in the cold light of day, but I believed her at the time because i'm generally quite trusting of people. There were many times when I had had enough and was going to leave, but I hadn't had a relationship for quite a long time so tried my hardest to make things work. She was also very attractive and when not suffering from excessive distrust, extreme outbursts of anger and critical thinking towards me was nice to be with. I also thought I could help her, but it seems she is beyond help.

During the later stages of the relationship I plucked up the balls to tell her that I thought she was 'mad' and that I had been submissive and taking the blame to keep things ticking along. I hadn't done this before because she would explode into rage if I dared critisice her over even the slightest thing. She then threatened to break up with me (like she had done numorous times unless I did x, y or z). She warped my mind so much that I even gave my previous draw smoking as a possible reason for my suspicions about her. It was another hopeless attempt at me trying to take the blame so that we could stay together. This led to her belief that I was the one who was crazy.

Anyway the point of me bringing this up was the coincidence that in the end this person wanted me to go to the doctors to get me checked out for Schizoprhenia so it sounds quite similar, and I was wandering what mental problems Adrian percived his wife to have had.