Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hannibal Buress is a landlord

Started by Petey Pate, November 06, 2019, 03:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/10/hannibal-buress-landlord/Hannibal Buress, popular stand-up comedian and former star of Broad City, was heavily trolled on Twitter after dissing presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders and fighting against rent-controlled apartments. Many users online wondered why Buress would be such so staunchly against rent-controlled apartments, and while people on Twitter made comments on Twitter about him being a landlord, it was widely assumed that these comments were in jest.

However, it's not a bit. Buress is a landlord.

When Sanders tweeted, "We need national rent control standard now," which included a quote from union construction worker Grace Holly, Buress retweeted the statement writing, "Wrong," which set off a firestorm of comments, especially, after the comedian urged his 1.1 million followers to donate to irpoa.org, which is the Illinois Rental Property Owners Association, where Buress owns property.

I'm not sure why this is surprising. Or is it surprising?

Cuellar

Every landlord I've ever dealth with has been a comedian, a bloody comediam

up_the_hampipe

It was funny when he tweeted a link to donate money for landlord rights though.

He did a video explaining the situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xF4EM2FjdY

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 06, 2019, 03:41:34 PM
It was funny when he tweeted a link to donate money for landlord rights though.

He did a video explaining the situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xF4EM2FjdY

Video removed by user

What did he say?

I've heard him talking on his podcast about airbnbing a place out to people -

up_the_hampipe

Oh it's gone? Sheeeeet! He basically said that he bought a property in Chicago, allowed the tenants who were living there at the time to stay for two months (rent free) so they'd have time to look for places, then he renovated it and occasionally Airbnb's it. He'd said something before about Bernie being old, saw how much it riled people up, so decided to double down when he saw people on twitter calling him a landlord. It was largely trolling, but he is still a landlord, and he doesn't think being a landlord is inherently bad, citing his nice landlord aunt.

PlanktonSideburns

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sure quite a few of them quietly are. Probably makes it easier to write 90 minutes of material once a year if you know the lights are staying on.

PlanktonSideburns

I'm not a landlord

I have a property that's usually empty then I occasionally airbnb it out when I want some cash

I'm not an arsonist

I'm a dog rapist

Icehaven

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 06, 2019, 04:01:53 PM
Ding dong

Nice landlord here

Ah but they can still beget bad ones. Woman I know inherited her Mother's house when she died and rents it out at considerably below the market value to a couple who really look after it not least because they're getting a bargain. However her teenage son, who's made a chunk of money being a youtuber, has observed this 'free' money appearing every month and has plans to become a property tycoon, intending to use his youtube earnings to buy somewhere ASAP and start his empire. Given the most likely short lived nature of his ability to earn serious coin from youtube you can't totally blame him for wanting to invest it somehow and make it last, but not like that.

chveik

what a fucking arsehole.

nice landlord is a myth created by Big Landlord anyway

Funcrusher

'Pull your pants up, renters!' Dude's image is 100% teflon. Yeah, but you're a landlord, Hannibal Buress. Seriously, google 'Hannibal Buress landlord'.

Twed

Don't be so lazy, you can all go out and be the guy who makes millions by sitting near somebody much funnier and grinning gormlessly and then you can be a landlord too.

Twed

bgmnts

To give credit where its due my landlady is genuinely lovely.

chveik

stop paying your rent and you'll see if she's still lovely

bgmnts

Quote from: chveik on November 06, 2019, 07:48:01 PM
stop paying your rent and you'll see if she's still lovely

She was meant to raise it this year but went against it because of our wall not having been sorted, something we dont give a shit about.

But yeah, traditionally, if you dont pay rent they'll tend to get annoyed.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twed on November 06, 2019, 07:44:40 PM
Don't be so lazy, you can all go out and be the guy who makes millions by sitting near somebody much funnier and grinning gormlessly

I'm not getting this reference. Is this about Buress? Sorry if I'm being dense.

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on November 06, 2019, 07:46:00 PM
To give credit where its due my landlady is genuinely lovely.

Same here. To be fair, they have two flats that come with the shop they run, and have to rent them out, they never decided to get into the rental market.

BeardFaceMan

I thought this was going to be the title of his new shit TV show that he puts zero effort into.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Even the loveliest landlord in the world is still a landlord.

Twed

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 06, 2019, 07:58:29 PM
I'm not getting this reference. Is this about Buress? Sorry if I'm being dense.
Yeah but in fairness it's just me probably not knowing much about his comedy as a whole. To me he's pretty much the guy who is Eric Andre's grinning sidekick.

Dog Botherer

he was really funny in the first couple of seasons of broad city in fairness

still a landlord cunt

PlanktonSideburns

I'd be pretty fucking breezy on a passive income

Don't think I'd deserve a fair play handshake tho.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twed on November 06, 2019, 09:02:48 PM
Yeah but in fairness it's just me probably not knowing much about his comedy as a whole. To me he's pretty much the guy who is Eric Andre's grinning sidekick.

Oh ok, got you. The thing that threw me was the word "sitting", as Buress is always standing up on the Eric Andre Show.

selectivememory

Quote from: Twed on November 06, 2019, 07:45:24 PM
Broad City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CF6vqK55uA

This is the sort of video that should be accompanied with a warning. I've still got a headache hours later from cringing so hard.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: selectivememory on November 06, 2019, 11:08:28 PM
This is the sort of video that should be accompanied with a warning. I've still got a headache hours later from cringing so hard.

It's two minutes something but it felt like an eternity. I got about 30 seconds in.

peanutbutter

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 06, 2019, 11:16:05 PM
It's two minutes something but it felt like an eternity. I got about 30 seconds in.
Feel like it killed the show to some degree too. Series 3 was a huge drop in quality but season 4 was greeted with ambivalence and season 5 seemed to pass by without anyone even noticing.

selectivememory

I've not seen the show before, but now I hate everyone involved and I am definitely never going to watch it.