Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yes its true; Joe Pera Talks with You series 2 starts a month from today, ok?

Started by Misspent Boners, November 06, 2019, 05:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Spent the more dormant parts of my night shift last night burning through this remarkable series. Something about being huddled there in the early hours watching it on my phone with the rain hammering against the windows gave it that extra cozy factor. It's truly something unique; with only the odd laugh out loud moment occuring, its more just a warm joyous feeling, so many moments where I couldn't help but just beam. Bless Joe and his rosy cheeked little face.

Actually watched and loved the animated Adult Swim special ages ago, and did take interest in this live action series but the fact it wasnt cartoon any more put me off for some reason, but it totally translates. Like some kind of drug I feel warm and relaxed after watching it. I've only just watched the whole thing and could happily watch it all again tonight which is extremely rare.

Anyone who hasn't seen it I'd urge you to give it a watch, beautifully made and often truly moving, and all while projecting an oddness that is all it's own.

Series 2 starts on 6th December, sadly probs wont be widely available in uk for a while after I'd imagine but there will be ways

chveik

I can't find the Joe Pera Helps You Find the Perfect Christmas Tree  special anywhere, does anyone have it by any chance?

Small Man Big Horse

I absolute love this show too, I only finished rewatching it last week yet I'm already having withdrawal symptoms, and can't wait for the second season to begin.

Quote from: chveik on November 06, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
I can't find the Joe Pera Helps You Find the Perfect Christmas Tree  special anywhere, does anyone have it by any chance?

I have it on an external hard drive, and will dig it out and upload it somewhere tomorrow.

chveik

Thursday

spaghetamine

oh man, I'm so hyped for this! the scene in the last series of him hearing baba o'riley for the first time brought me an incredible amount of joy

PlanktonSideburns

up_the_hampipe

I love Joe Pera so much. I'm excited about the new season but anxious, as I felt so awful whenever something mildly bad happened to him in the first season. I hope there's another Talks You To Sleep episode.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 07, 2019, 12:41:28 AM
I love Joe Pera so much. I'm excited about the new season but anxious, as I felt so awful whenever something mildly bad happened to him in the first season. I hope there's another Talks You To Sleep episode.

It has a great balance I think between Joe being regarded as a bit odd and struggling to find a place in the world around him and Joe also been well liked and ultimately never really ending up being humiliated or coming a cropper. The whole "cringe comedy everything goes dramatically wrong" approach has been done to death now and I often find it quite tedious, and the fact that this show doesn't take that approach and manages to do so without seeming too saccharine or turning the protagonist into a Tommy Wiseau type every man is very skillfully done

It manages to make situations where the character actually achieves a tiny victory rather than fall on his arse and make an embarrassment of himself every bit as entertaining; for example when Joe is coerced into dancing at the wedding; usually these characters end up the laughing stock. Joe does some wonderful cringe dancing but ultimately everyone cheers and he impresses the girl and the show is all the more fresher and more entertaining because of it

brat-sampson

The first season had my favourite instance ever of a man dropping a meatball, so S2 has a lot to live up to.

14 episodes in this new season apparently! That's fine by me; I could watch this shizz for days

Small Man Big Horse

I've now uploaded "Joe Pera Helps You Find The Perfect Christmas Tree" special, if anyone else wants it just pm me.

Thursday

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 07, 2019, 12:41:28 AM

Genuinely, if the comedy work dried up, I think there's a lucrative career for him in just becoming an ASMR youtuber.

Twed

brat-sampson

Two episodes air Friday night in the States.

He's doing the talk show circuit atm, and it's just delightful.

Colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSZTjLYDJ0&fbclid

up_the_hampipe

Seemed like Colbert pushed to have Pera on, nice to see how much of a fan he is. They don't often upload the full interviews either.

Yeah meant to post about it airing last night. Heartily look forward to that interview and I'm sure there'll be a way to watch the new episodes. I imagine they wont immediately be aired over 4od or whatever it's called now? Could be wrong though

Small Man Big Horse

The first two episodes are now up on the Adult Swim website, they're blocked in the UK but I've just downloaded a free VPN here: https://windscribe.com/ and it's letting me watch it.

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

i know ive not slept much, but just cried watching the first episode of this. Love how it looks like an akward adult swim thing, but its actually a euphoric slow tv thing, but then also its a lovely soap with endearing and strange characters

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on December 07, 2019, 05:38:24 PM
i know ive not slept much, but just cried watching the first episode of this. Love how it looks like an akward adult swim thing, but its actually a euphoric slow tv thing, but then also its a lovely soap with endearing and strange characters

No worries - I can't help but tear up while watching this either. Something so sweet, genuine, nonjudgmental and inclusive about the whole endeavor; diametrically opposed to 90% of [adult swim]'s other output, yet it fits perfectly. It's basically exactly what I need to offset the absolute monstrous shitshow that our respective societies have become, so I've been clinging to it even more than I already would have this week. It's been my mental/psychological salvation.

(Well, that, and the "Well, Hi" cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VHmwWrGE-Q)

PlanktonSideburns

yea i agree with that - its really inclusive - i like that fact that joe's character's quirkyness dosent make him an outcast in his workplace - a common trope of sitcoms that dosent really actually seem to be very common in real life

Noddy Tomkey

The Christmas Special, if that's the Christmas tree one, is on All4 along with the first series.

Which is where I watched the first series today for the first time and shed a tear at every episode. I love that man.

PlanktonSideburns

glad im not the only one crying at a man talking about beans and disposing of pumpkins

MojoJojo

Thanks for the heads up on this, really loving it.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on November 07, 2019, 09:58:04 AM
  It has a great balance I think between Joe being regarded as a bit odd and struggling to find a place in the world around him and Joe also been well liked and ultimately never really ending up being humiliated or coming a cropper. The whole "cringe comedy everything goes dramatically wrong" approach has been done to death now and I often find it quite tedious, and the fact that this show doesn't take that approach and manages to do so without seeming too saccharine or turning the protagonist into a Tommy Wiseau type every man is very skillfully done

Yes, I think I spent the first few episodes waiting for it all to go horribly wrong. It really clicked with the beginning of the wedding episode, where he congratulates the couple. Its a bit awkward and he makes them a bit uncomfortable, but he keeps on and they become genuinely touched by his sincerity.

Similar with Gene - it sometimes seems like he's been mean to Joe by telling him stuff like carving pumpkins takes away 1/16 of your soul but he's actually just giving Joe a reason to do something to cheer himself up.

Small Man Big Horse

Just a quick heads up for anyone who doesn't do the VPN thing / wants a permanent copy, the first episode is now up on https://rlsbb.unblockit.ca/

Small Man Big Horse

Episodes three and four are up on the Adult Swim website, I've only seen the third but it's glorious stuff, I didn't know if I could laugh today but this was the perfect tonic for my woes. As ever it's packed with very funny lines, but I think this part was my favourite: