Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More creepy spooky unsolved-mystery stuff please

Started by Replies From View, November 06, 2019, 06:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: icehaven on November 06, 2019, 07:38:25 PM
I didn't know you could be banned from individual threads. I might get myself banned from the film clichés thread as it's just ruining cinema for me.

a small price to pay for our entertainment

Kryton

On another note read up on some of the abandoned mining towns in America. Abandoned buildings are one thing but I imagine wandering through a whole empty town must be very unnerving. There's a town in Pennsylvania and the whole coal mine underneath is smouldering, I read somewhere that the game Silent Hill was slightly based around this town.

I've done some urban exploration myself - old factories, mills, hangars, a Yorkshire mental hospital and I even managed to visit Camelot theme park and that gave me a very strange feeling. Especially since I used to visit Camelot as a young kid and it was truly magic for me at that age as I loved fairgrounds and fantasy and wizards and Knights and all that kind of thing, but revisiting it as an adult a few years ago- it gave me a very acute feeling of emptiness and weirdness. Like something special had gone and been replaced with this horrible twisted version. It was genuinely weird. Empty stables filled with graffiti scrawl, a vandalised ghost ride (although lots of the foam/plaster ghoulish heads were smashed in or hanging off frayed wires) and bits of broken jousting stuff was still knocking about. The empty stalls and rooms gave off a very unnerving feeling as they were mostly untouched, just abandoned.
Parts of the tracks to various rides were damaged or missing too. Nothing spooky happened but it was odd to get such weird nostalgia.

Also if you're ever tempted to go Urban exploring don't damage or force your way in and always go with a friend. The last thing you want to do is fall through the floor and break your leg with nobody around to help you.

Kryton

I guess the creepiest thing that ever happened to me was the time I went to India, the whole experience for a young twenty something was a bit much when dealing with sickness, near-death experiences and some very off people (but as a whole the Indian people were genuinely lovely as a whole). I've got a ton of stories ranging from being stalked by animals, getting seriously unwell, injured, dealing with con-men, dangerous road journeys and all sorts of stuff.

But I remember we'd stopped in Rishikesh for a few days to just relax and take a breather from the transport. We'd bumped into one guy who was quite distinctive compared to the average Indian guy - long hair, black jacket and a bit of a cool/strange nature about him. I think he modelled himself as a kind of rebel and had a weird but interesting vibe. He told he was a musician and worked in both classical music and also did some electronic stuff, and at the point I was interested in electronic music production myself, so we got talking and he seemed alright.

Anyway for some reason I decided to buy some weed off him and left my partner at the time and followed him to his place. When I get there sure enough he sells me the weed but starts acting very strangely, ignoring my previously acceptable small-talk about music and pacing his apartment and starts just acting uneasy and the atmosphere felt very odd. Nothing actually happened but his transformation bothered and unsettled me. It was like something switched in him and he became agitated.

I made my excuses, thanked him for the weed and made my way back to the guest house. I meet up with the missus and she's looking worried and pale. I ask her what's up and she tells me the guest house security guard had seen me leave with him and told my girlfriend that the guy I left with was a bit of a criminal and dangerous and that we shouldn't associate with him.

So over the next few days we try to enjoy Rishikesh but found it a bit unsettling at times and we were both tired and not feeling too good so decided to go elsewhere and head elsewhere. We bounced from Jodhpur, Jaipur and Udaipur over a period of a week or two (I can't remember the correct order), but we were at least 10-14 hours away by train in a general south-west direction and hundreds of kilometres away from Rishikesh.

Anyway, we are in one of the above places in Rajahstan (I forget which city it was exactly - I think it was Udaipur) and we'd been there a few days and it was kind of off-season and not much was happening, we'd decided to go for a bite to eat and found ourselves in one of the many roof-top cafes and we're almost completely alone. Surrounded by hundreds of nearly identical buildings in the middle of nowhere. Everything is quiet and subdued and peaceful.

And who the fuck walks in? Yep only that guy from Rishikesh. And he notices us and gives us both the weirdest of smiles, like his mouth was smiling but his eyes weren't.  He was with an English girl and we overhear the conversation and they're arguing about money and he keeps looking up at us as throughout. We quickly ate our meals and left.... But what are the fucking chances of that?

I know it's not massively scary to anyone else, but it was like bumping into a nutter in say northern Scotland and then getting on a train for a few weeks and heading 800km away and you go for dinner in say France and then same nutcase walks into the place. Just odd.

BlodwynPig

He posts on here. PMd me asking for your address.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Interesting story, Kryters, but you could have at least approached the English lass and said "steer clear of him, missus, he's a wrong 'un."(unless she was his accomplice).

Noodle Lizard

The Elisa Lam story (and associated CCTV footage) is properly weird and still has no credible explanation, as far as I know.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 07, 2019, 08:46:46 AM
The Elisa Lam story (and associated CCTV footage) is properly weird and still has no credible explanation, as far as I know.

The unfortunate and credible explanation that has been given (both by the medical examiner and by almost everyone officially associated with the case that isn't trying to find a supernatural cause) is that she had a recurrent mental health episode (as she was known to struggle with) and unfortunately drowned herself. I've cited her before but the Ask A Mortician channel actually went to the same hotel and found it would've been pretty easy to access the roof, probably even easier before a woman died up there.

It's unlikely she intentionally drowned herself, but as you can see once you climb into a water tank like that without any gear or without a ladder or help you basically cannot get out unless it's almost overflowing with water. The tank lid was also found open when her corpse was found inside despite what some people believe.

bgmnts

It definitely looks from the security footage she thought someone was following her and was making weird movements to try and close the lift doors. A lot of people have hypothesised it to be a maintenance man or someone like that as they could control the lifts and have access to an otherwise inaccessible roof (although if it was easy to access the roof then fair enough).

One of those clips that genuinely sends shivers down my spine.

I think the hotel she stayed at was famous for bekng very dodgy as well.

BlodwynPig

Watch any CCTV of me alone in a lift and you'll be sure of a BIG surprise

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 07, 2019, 08:54:47 AM
The unfortunate and credible explanation that has been given (both by the medical examiner and by almost everyone officially associated with the case that isn't trying to find a supernatural cause) is that she had a recurrent mental health episode (as she was known to struggle with) and unfortunately drowned herself. I've cited her before but the Ask A Mortician channel actually went to the same hotel and found it would've been pretty easy to access the roof, probably even easier before a woman died up there.

It's unlikely she intentionally drowned herself, but as you can see once you climb into a water tank like that without any gear or without a ladder or help you basically cannot get out unless it's almost overflowing with water. The tank lid was also found open when her corpse was found inside despite what some people believe.

Ah. Pretty much everything I'd read about it said the lid was closed (and difficult to open) and that the tanks would have been pretty much impossible to climb into without a ladder. I never believed it was anything supernatural, but certainly a baffling case - a little less so if the tank lid was open.

dallasman

Have you heard the story of when John Jones went spelunking in Nutty Putty Cave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kebNZwYLX2w

Not a mystery, but a very disturbing true tale that stays with you. I had to stop the playback twice just to remind my body I was in fact breathing freely and able to stand up.

More directly to the OP, there's hours and hours of creepy, mysterious stuff on YouTube, and some of it is very well presented. Unsolved murders, solved murders, disappearances, real 911 calls, CCTV and surveilance footage, interviews and interrogations of various sickos. That's the true crime side of things. Then there's obviously a ton of cryptid videos, alien conspiracies, and the entire subgenre of "true" scary stories that people make up and post on reddit. I prefer the verifiable stuff, especially cases where there's a piece of surveilance footage, a grainy photo or a 911 call (with an unidentified voice in the background!). Some searchable cases fitting that description include:

Amber Tuccaro
Delphi Murders
Brandon Lawson
Missy Bevers

Some good channels:

Criminally Listed
That Chapter
Shrouded Hand
Lazy Masquerade
Merc
ReignBot
Heavy Casefiles
Top5s
Cold Case Detective
JCS - Criminal psychology

Just start somewhere, and YouTube will throw all the good stuff at you in due course, depending on your preferences. I highly recommend Criminally Listed as a first port of call. He's got a lot of videos with names like "3 people murdered by people secretly living in their homes", "4 murders with mysterious phone calls", "3 murder cases with bizarre twists" etc, and he lays out the facts very effectively. His videos are tight, compact crime docs that pack more information into 10 minutes than the dumbed-down soundbite salads you find on TV, manage in 40. And there are lots of others doing similarly great work out there, so have a bit of a clickaround.

fake edit: several of the channels I mentioned have covered Elisa Lam, so a YT search for her name is sure to lead you to some quality content sooner or later.

Cuellar

Got well into that Tamam Shud thing a few months ago, fascinating.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2019, 09:13:03 AM
Watch any CCTV of me alone in a lift and you'll be sure of a BIG surprise

teddyboar's picnic?

SteK

Quote from: Cuellar on November 07, 2019, 10:00:15 AM

I was so into it I found the same edition of The Rubiayat of Omar Khayyam as mentioned in the case as I remembered some investigators in Oz needed the same edition but couldn't find one. I offered it but the email just bounced...

Cuellar

If I suddenly become an eccentric millionaire I'm going to give that geezer in Australia the cash needed to exhume the body and have a good old root around on it.

famethrowa

Quote from: SteK on November 07, 2019, 09:51:52 AM
Not paranormal, but this always sets my mind racing with theories....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

Love that case. If you go down to an Adelaide beach in the late afternoon they just feel creepy, there's a weird vibe to them and an appropriate place for a unpersoned, abandoned nazi spy to breathe his last.

Quote from: Cuellar on November 07, 2019, 10:10:23 AM
If I suddenly become an eccentric millionaire I'm going to give that geezer in Australia the cash needed to exhume the body and have a good old root around on it.

Careful now, telling Australians to "root" in something

famethrowa

I freaked out with a memory hole situation last night. My boy is mad into ships, so I thought I'd tell him about the Ark Royal so I could play him The Last Farewell, and of course add in the "my arse on fire" line at the appropriate time. Read him the history of the ship and read it was scrapped in 2013?? I remember that song from the early 80's. What gives??

BlodwynPig

Reading all the creepy threads back to back I can now reveal there have only ever been 5 creepy/unexplained events in history

1. Elisa Lam
2. Tamul Shud
3. South American Gnome
4. BiggyTitfoot
5. Those Russian dead people on the Pass

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Cuellar on November 07, 2019, 10:00:15 AM

I was talking about that case only yesterday in one of my lessons. Spooky! 👻

bgmnts

D.B Cooper is a lesson to you all, dont get greedy and you'll probably be alright.

BlodwynPig

H-O-W-L

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2019, 09:05:24 AM
It definitely looks from the security footage she thought someone was following her and was making weird movements to try and close the lift doors. A lot of people have hypothesised it to be a maintenance man or someone like that as they could control the lifts and have access to an otherwise inaccessible roof (although if it was easy to access the roof then fair enough).

One of those clips that genuinely sends shivers down my spine.

I think the hotel she stayed at was famous for bekng very dodgy as well.

Mental health experts who have analyzed the footage have said that her movements (both her paranoid glancing and her very specific hand gesticulations) are archetypal of a disassociative psychotic break.

There's a creepy man who lives near me, and I'm pretty sure he's been driving my car when I'm not there.  Got a phone call the other day, and it was just a raspy voice whispering 'buy petrol' over and over again.

Pseudopath

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2019, 10:57:06 AM
Reading all the creepy threads back to back I can now reveal there have only ever been 5 creepy/unexplained events in history

1. Elisa Lam
2. Tamul Shud
3. South American Gnome
4. BiggyTitfoot
5. Those Russian dead people on the Pass

Don't forget Who put the Bellend in Nicholas Witchell?