Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Rick Stein

Started by touchingcloth, November 06, 2019, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I'm fascinated with the man.

His director seems to keep the camera rolling to capture all of the moments which document his slightly curmudgeonly descent into madness.

Highlights from recent shows have been: complaining about how living statues aren't what they used to be, whilst stood in front of a living statue; ironing his shirt while complaining that he has to do his laundry daily so that continuity can be preserved, thus destroying the very illusion of continuity he is complaining about needing to work on; saying "I found this in the shops today, and I've never seen anything like it - it has little holes around the top to let the steam escape!" before producing a completely standard saucepan lid.

Love him. The nation's dad.

Twit 2

Best TV cook.

His series on India and a Mexico were outstanding. Also loved From Venice to Istanbul. He's always good value. I have nothing bad to say about him, and I grew up near Padstow! Might even watch him cook grotty French cuisine.

poo

Yeah love the cunt. Gonna catch up with the new series on France tonight.

touchingcloth

There's a great bit where he's driving along and muses that he has chosen a simple, humble car for his tour: a Porsche.

I enjoy him bumbling about the place, getting in everyone's way. There's a great scene in one of his older series where he's in a fish market and this old lady is getting increasingly irritated by him doing his bit to camera whilst she's trying to shop.

Last night he served up a fish gratin with cooked apples on the side, saying that he'd been served it in a restaurant once and it was surprisingly enjoyable. I surmised that the waitress had popped someone's dessert down on his table next to his main whilst she sneezed or something and he just started tucking in and she didn't have the heart to tell him.

He's a national treasure.

Twed

In my mind he only ever cooks on English beaches. Probably something he's done once, but that's my abiding memory of him.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on November 06, 2019, 07:50:07 PM
In my mind he only ever cooks on English beaches. Probably something he's done once, but that's my abiding memory of him.

A lot of his travel shows are cut with scenes of him cooking up one of the dishes he found at his little harbourside cottage thing in Cornwall, so maybe that?

wooders1978

He did a book signing in my local bookstore a few years back signing books from 2-3pm - I was made aware he was there a little late and showed up at 3.15pm with the intention to buy a book for him to sign for my brother, who is a big fan, as a chrissy present - he shot me the most "fuck off you cunt" glare I've ever received as I walked in, so I pretended to be there for an entirely different bookish reason (didn't have the sass to ask for a river cottage book in his presence, regrettably) and he could stick his additional book sale up his fucking arse to be frank

When I recounted the tale to my brother Christmas Day (he lives in oz) he rather sadly told me he'd have loved a signed book - thanks a bunch "Rick"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 06, 2019, 06:51:22 PM
Best TV cook.

His series on India and a Mexico were outstanding. Also loved From Venice to Istanbul. He's always good value. I have nothing bad to say about him, and I grew up near Padstow! Might even watch him cook grotty French cuisine.

Agreed, loved the India one. I've booked him to cook for me at Christmas in London. 400 quid, reasonable

touchingcloth

I prefer the branch of Christmas in the Manchester Printworks. Much better waiting staff.

poodlefaker

I've loved [insert place] since I first came here as a student in the late 60s. I love the food of [insert place], it's very simple but uses the freshest local ingredients. It always reminds of what Lord Byron once wrote about [insert place] when he stayed here in the nineteenth century.

BlodwynPig

Another who I would quite happily take a short ramble with before retiring to a wood smoke scented cottage to while away the hours by a roaring fire.

touchingcloth

Does "whiling away" involve getting naked and greased up before wrestling by the fire?

Clownbaby

I've never seen anyone try food so nervously, he kind if shoves it in and struggles with it for a second and then instantly swallows it and then goes "mmm" as if he even managed to fucking taste it after that display

Cuellar

Puts me on edge. He's affable, sure, but you sense that he's always teetering on the edge of total mental disintegration during which he'll get very emotional and start crying and saying he "can't cope".

Very upsetting to watch.

Clownbaby

He's radiating intense nervous energy

BlodwynPig

I like the air of loneliness that hovers around him. He's content in that loneliness. Perhaps the two of us would destroy our mutual pleasure in remoteness, but I imagine enjoying a silent and leisurely boat sojourn across a still lake in deep mountains.

boki

I like him, but I hate fish, so he's a pretty tough watch most of the time.

Cuellar

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2019, 03:35:38 PM
He's content in that loneliness.

Is he, though? The dog was at least a grounding influence, without that he's liable to spin off into some dark brain corner and never come back.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on November 07, 2019, 03:47:40 PM
Is he, though? The dog was at least a grounding influence, without that he's liable to spin off into some dark brain corner and never come back.

Maybe I can steady that ship when he cooks (exclusively) for me in December

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 06, 2019, 07:28:33 PM
There's a great bit where he's driving along and muses that he has chosen a simple, humble car for his tour: a Porsche.

That was the bit which came to mind when I saw the OP.  Mind you, it was a Y-registration - from 2001 or so - so basically an old banger Porsche convertible.  Car of the proletariat round here.

I always forget that his name is pronounced to rhyme with wine (as in Frankenstein) and not steen

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 07, 2019, 04:21:37 PM
He's no Keith Floyd.

Keith is in heaven now, having a piss-up with all the other Keith's - Flint, Moon, Chegwin...

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 07, 2019, 04:29:38 PM
That was the bit which came to mind when I saw the OP.  Mind you, it was a Y-registration - from 2001 or so - so basically an old banger Porsche convertible.  Car of the proletariat round here.

He's owned it from new, apparently, so he's certainly got his money's worth out of it. You can get a 911 of that vintage for well under £15k now. I'd buy this tomorrow if it didn't mean the immediate end of my relationship:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910313871982

poodlefaker

Yeh, he's approaching John Snow levels of on-air confusion these days, bless him. The one where he went to Copenhagen but the restaurant they were planning to show was fully booked so he had to fill the time by interviewing Sofie Gråbøl was pure Partridge. Still the best current tv chef tho.

Likes a drink, I'd say. Afternoon winebox when he's not working.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 07, 2019, 07:08:45 PM
Yeh, he's approaching John Snow levels of on-air confusion these days, bless him. The one where he went to Copenhagen but the restaurant they were planning to show was fully booked so he had to fill the time by interviewing Sofie Gråbøl was pure Partridge. Still the best current tv chef tho.

Likes a drink, I'd say. Afternoon winebox when he's not working.

Sofie Gråbøl...and Rick Stein!? Heaven!

Scanda-Noir Blodwyn cosying up by the fire with those two for company. Gentle chatter, succulent food, drifting off to sleep.

studpuppet

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2019, 02:03:24 PM
Another who I would quite happily take a short ramble with...

Considering what his dad did, I'd veto any clifftop walks.

Quote from: Cuellar on November 07, 2019, 03:07:13 PM
Puts me on edge.

Badum-tish.

Urinal Cake

Please stop his sons from making programs.

I also want to blame him for the trend in intellectualising food.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: boki on November 07, 2019, 03:44:25 PM
I like him, but I hate fish, so he's a pretty tough watch most of the time.

Ah, you want to make his lamb and spinach curry then, that's bloody lovely.

Having seen the way he eats on camera I'm pretty sure he's a man with no qualms about talking with his mouth full and anyone sitting opposite him at a dinner table would be lucky to escape unstippled.