Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Rick Stein

Started by touchingcloth, November 06, 2019, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a long shot but i'll ask anyway.  Anyone here see a show where Rick fried king prawns with the shells on after dippnig them in egg and floor.  i think it was filmed at his restaurant and then went on to mention his son who was working there.  I thought the recipe seemed strange but want to try it, but i cant for the life of me work out where i saw it??  I've litrally just gone through his entire latest french show program but it's not that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on December 08, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
This is a long shot but i'll ask anyway.  Anyone here see a show where Rick fried king prawns with the shells on after dippnig them in egg and floor.  i think it was filmed at his restaurant and then went on to mention his son who was working there.  I thought the recipe seemed strange but want to try it, but i cant for the life of me work out where i saw it??  I've litrally just gone through his entire latest french show program but it's not that.

Definitely with their shells on? There's this where he batters them in coconut but leaves the tails on, televised on his Mexico series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crispy_coconut_prawns_83642

In further news of his public breakdown, there was a bit in the latest episode where he visited a vineyard in Catalonia and said of the grape pickers "these workers are mostly Spanish, and they come and go like the seasons, and I think they're all the happier for it", before the camera cut to someone struggling under a backpack of about five stones of grapes.

Loved watching his bemusement at the mentally ill French restaurateur.

amateur

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 08, 2019, 12:06:07 AM
Please stop his sons from making programs.

I also want to blame him for the trend in intellectualising food.

Once saw his son doing a cooking program on one of the Sky food channels and he was so odious I resolved to slap him in the face if I ever saw him.

Regardless, Ric is sensational. The most Partridge presence I've ever encountered on TV. His recipes in the Mediterranean series are 100%, his lamb stew with aubergine puree is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on November 08, 2019, 06:49:36 PM
Having seen the way he eats on camera I'm pretty sure he's a man with no qualms about talking with his mouth full and anyone sitting opposite him at a dinner table would be lucky to escape unstippled.

The time - late 80s
The place - somewhere sweaty but posh on the Med
The soundtrack - Vangelis and Jon Anderson

Put me there with Rick Stein and he can talk with his mouth overflowing with seafood and white wine until i die with joy

touchingcloth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 08, 2019, 09:44:29 PM
The time - late 80s
The place - somewhere sweaty but posh on the Med
The soundtrack - Vangelis and Jon Anderson

Put me there with Rick Stein and he can talk with his mouth overflowing with seafood and white wine until i die with joy

Aren't you paying fifty quid for him to cook for you this Christmas?

hummingofevil

I love Rick Stein guys but...

In the India series (love it) he made Kathi rolls and I have been making them for years with chapatis by making an omelette first and then placing the chapati onto the wet side of it to kind of fuse it into a chapati/omeltte. Nadia from bake off did them a few months back and it came up on a clip somewhere and she explained that actually a tortilla wrap is closer to what they would use and just to make them like you would eggy bread. Her's were way simpler to make and much nicer. A curry/burrito (currito?) is a thing of joy. Curry, Rice, pickles and cabbage. Yum yum.

poodlefaker

I've got one of his cookbooks from before he was famous and it says "Richard Stein" on the cover.  HA! rumbled RICHARD, not so cool now are you?

gilbertharding

This is horribly written, and C&P because it's the Mail:

QuoteMy 10-year feud with Keith Floyd, by Rick Stein: Chef says flamboyant cook was jealous of him after his career took off

He got his first big break appearing on one of Keith Floyd's TV shows and refers to him as a mentor whose legacy he is proud to continue.

But despite their seemingly close friendship Rick Stein yesterday revealed cook Floyd was jealous of him and the pair became embroiled in a feud understood to have lasted for around a decade.

The animosity between them only subsided as Floyd neared the end of his life.

In a candid interview, TV and culinary star Stein, 69, spoke for what appears to be the first time about the row, which began in 1995 when he started working with Floyd's TV producer and friend David Pritchard on a show of his own. It was a decision which made Floyd resentful.

Speaking to an audience at Countryfile Live at Blenheim Palace near Oxford Stein, said: 'I really, really liked him [Floyd] but then I sort of fell out with him, or he fell out with me.

'Basically his director was David Pritchard, who I worked with.

'I think David and I were sort of meant to be, and him and Keith fell out, I think it was sort of jealousy.

'I always respected him and I'm pleased to say that towards the end of his life I got back on good terms with him.

'What Keith did was bring food to men, and all I've done is carried on doing the same thing so I do owe him a great deal. But I think he got a bit p***** off. I guess I was the young upstart.'

Floyd died of a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer.

His 1980s programmes were ground-breaking for pioneering the 'travelogue' style of cooking which sees chefs draw recipe inspiration from places they visit and his wine-fuelled flamboyance made him a favourite with viewers.

Floyd died of a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer

He was discovered by Pritchard and their 1985 series, Floyd on Fish, was an instant hit and subsequent series took the chef all over the world.

Stein met Floyd as a young cook and appeared as a guest on one of his shows and admitted that he helped him discover his own distinctive style.

He said: 'He was very, very formative for me in my early days cooking because he had three restaurants in Bristol, all of which went bust, and one in Provence, which also closed down.

'But when I first met him he'd just come back from Provence and I was experimenting with Provence style fish and he knew everything about it.

'He was a really good critic and he was actually a really good cook, not only was he a good cook but he knew a lot about food.'

Stein started working with David Pritchard in 1995 and they produced Taste of the Sea.

Together they went on to make Seafood Odyssey, French Odyssey, Rich Stein's Spain and Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul, among others.

Pritchard went on to write a book about working with Floyd and Stein called Shooting the Cook.

Stein added that Floyd's devil-may-care attitude had almost become extinct in television thanks to political correctness. 'People like Keith, you don't see their like these days,' he said.

'We all have to put up with quite a lot of PC-ness, I just think it's a shame.

'It's probably because I'm 70 and I don't know how to behave.'

Cuellar

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 09, 2019, 03:25:46 PM
'What Keith did was bring food to men'

No, that's waiters you're thinking of Rick.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 08, 2019, 09:59:32 PM
Aren't you paying fifty quid for him to cook for you this Christmas?

Yup, but if we could turn back time....etc

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 09, 2019, 03:25:46 PM
This is horribly written, and C&P because it's the Mail:

Didn't Floyd die of a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer?

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 10, 2019, 12:21:16 AM
Didn't Floyd die of a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer?

I had to delete a LOT of duplicate paragraphs, because they use pull-out text as photo captions, and when you C&P a whole article, it includes them (as well as paragraph headings, pull-out quotes, info-box text, etc etc.) I tried to delete as much of that as possible, but must have missed that one.

Dying from a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer is a hell of a way to go though - you must admit.

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 10, 2019, 08:59:00 AM
Dying from a heart attack in 2009 aged 65 after going out for lunch to celebrate getting the all clear from bowel cancer is a hell of a way to go though - you must admit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rick says that verbatim on telly before too long.

Twit 2

In episode 2 of his latest French one he orders 8 cheese dishes in a restaurant. Now, I know he eats only some of each, but I still watched with mounting horror and dread. Absolute grubby cheese-based bastardry. Hope he was severely ill after that carry on.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 10, 2019, 09:59:27 PM
In episode 2 of his latest French one he orders 8 cheese dishes in a restaurant. Now, I know he eats only some of each, but I still watched with mounting horror and dread. Absolute grubby cheese-based bastardry. Hope he was severely ill after that carry on.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 12, 2019, 10:41:43 PM
Just the eight cheese dishes there mate steady

In tonight's episode - the final of the series - he gives a little eulogy for David Pritchard, his frequent director who died during the making of this series. I can't say I'm surprised.