Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs were the outro is not in the rest of the song

Started by SteK, November 07, 2019, 01:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

NoSleep

Quote from: greenman on November 13, 2019, 03:12:39 PM
The Virgin Island Years 2CD is pretty good value with Fear, Slow Dazzle and Helen of Troy on it.

tom_exorcisto

Anyone mentioned the end of Black Sabbath's Wheels of Confusion yet? Think it's called 'the straightener'.
https://youtu.be/_zC-QYFK7Ro

idunnosomename

actually sabbath were pretty good at throwing away the verse-chorus song for a big coda. as mentioned war pigs is great (though it brings back the verse after the mid break of course) but also Sabbath Bloody Sabbath never brings back the main riff, same for Sabbra Cadabra, Heaven and Hell and (here's a deep cut from fucking TYR) The Sabbath Stones

Sabbath always more avant-garde than given credit for imo

purlieu

A few from my hardcore days
Million Dead's The Rise and Fall, fairly standard song for them until 2:47, when it goes into the slow, messy 11 minute outro. Always my favourite part of the album.
Jane Doe by Converge. 8:58 it all goes a bit epic.
These Arms are Snakes - Cavity Carousel. 3:12 it all goes a bit epic as well. I have a thing for post-rock-ish outros bolted onto otherwise normal songs.
Botch - Man the Ramparts. Screaming, loud guitars, rarh!! Oh wait it's turned into a weird piece of ambient chant music.

The Boo Radleys were good at this sort of thing, weren't they?
Martin, Doom! It's Seven O'Clock. All very mellow, and then at 4:08 it goes all searching and wistful, building up into a huge crescendo.
Wilder starts out as one of those lovely piano ballads they were so good at, a typical album closer, but halfway through it goes into a more psychedelic, bass-led section at odds with the melancholic opening.
The chirpy Bullfrog Green starts all flutey and stuff, before slowing the tempo and going into woozy vocal harmonies for the outro section.
And of course the full nine minute Music for Astronauts version of Wake Up Boo!, with its entirely unrelated six minute breakbeat coda.

There's also stuff like One Last Hurrah, Atlantic, Monuments for a Dead Century Four Saints, but they're more 'five songs smushed into one' rather than having distinct outros.

McFlymo

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 13, 2019, 08:47:38 PM
war pigs is great (though it brings back the verse after the mid break of course)

Aye, but that's before the whole big outro chunk, that has one long descending riff, then another riff that Iommi solos over.

Also, another Beatles one:

Ticket To Ride, the "My baby don't care..." section.

boki

NoSleep

Tim Hodgkinson's "post-punk" band, The Work, did this at least a couple of times to great effect:

Houdini

I Hate America

Petey Pate

Quote from: kngen on November 07, 2019, 03:44:42 PM
I always liked how Timbaland and Missy Elliott would tag on 30 seconds or so of what sounded like a completely different (and better) song at the end of her singles, like the end of One Minute Man: https://youtu.be/XayUCLgxS5c?t=210

They did the same at the end of Get Ur Freak On, but that whole song's great ... so he tacks that on at the end of Ugly by Bubba Sparxxx: https://youtu.be/Trd49Da0gf0?t=204 - bold move given that it's a much better song that Ugly sounds suspiciously close to in structure.

I wouldn't be surprised if this idea was inspired by Pete Rock. More or less everything that he has produced has an intro and/or outro that's unrelated to the rest of the track.

buzby

The JAMs It's Grim Up North segues into a grandiose synth-orchestral version of Jerusalem for an extended outro.