Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More analysis from that Uber car that killed a pedestrian.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 07, 2019, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Turns out it wasn't programmed to recognise J-walkers as people. Because of this, and the fact it kept reclassifying her as an object with no movement it just ignored it and carried on going at 45mph.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/06/uber_self_driving_car_death/

Also,it seems the emergency braking was disabled because it caused cars to brake erratically. Or in other words the failures in classification were originally causing the car to stop too often for perceived hazards so they faked it.

It also seems lidar was working, I'm sure early reports said they were trialling camera-only driving to cut costs.

kngen

Can't wait till they start trialling autonomously piloted flying vehicles for the mass market - think that's slated for 2021. Should keep the tech blogs and lawyers busy!

PlanktonSideburns

I'd be all for self driving cars if the tech wasn't in the hands of absolute fuCKING  WANKERS

chveik

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2019, 02:20:24 PM
Turns out it wasn't programmed to recognise J-walkers as people. Because of this, and the fact it kept reclassifying her as an object with no movement it just ignored it and carried on going at 45mph.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/06/uber_self_driving_car_death/
It actually classified the victim form the LIDAR data first as an unknown object (at 6 seconds to impact), then as a vehicle, then as a bicycle (1.3 seconds to impact). For the last two classifications it predicted trajectories for each so it knew they were moving objects but made no attempt to use the trajectories it had computed to avoid the object.
Also,it seems the emergency braking was disabled because it caused cars to brake erratically. Or in other words the failures in classification were originally causing the car to stop too often for perceived hazards so they faked it.
It's worse than that -  by the 1.3 seconds to impact point it had classified the object as a bicycle on a collision course and that braking was required (which it couldn't do itself as you say, because emergency braking was disabled), but alerting the human monitoring the system to this fact was not part of it's design. They were relying on the human to notice, despite their job being to monitor the screen on the dash for output and logging anomalies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on November 07, 2019, 02:46:49 PM
it wouldn't have happened if a rat was driving the car

"I SAID HEAD FOR THE CHEESE...HEAD FOR THE CHEESE!!!! NUMBSKULL"

touchingcloth

Why don't they program it to avoid stuff? Not hard, is it? See it, steer it, sorted.

PlanktonSideburns

touchingcloth

IF(PEDESTRIAN)
   GOTO NOT PEDESTRIAN
END IF

I'm not even a programmer or a car but I know that much.

touchingcloth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 07, 2019, 07:53:04 PM
UNAVOIDABLE COLLATERAL MATE

Yer the woman was probably a peodo lol why else would she of had a bike?

idunnosomename

seepage

can't they just use peoples' heads & spinal cords? I mean, Shadowrun came out in the 80s - surely the science has caught up by now?

Should have made the turbo boost button bigger, maybe put it on the steering wheel. These knightriders have terrible ergonomics, and I think this was the inevitable result.

idunnosomename

I just found carmageddon on android and this takes me back

Ferris

Who jaywalks with a bike, and takes multiple seconds to cross a single lane of traffic, and doesn't move out the way of a car (automated or otherwise).

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 07, 2019, 08:01:25 PM
Yer the woman was probably a peodo lol why else would she of had a bike?

IF(TURNS OUT LATER NOT PEDO)
   SEND; PERSONAL.APLOLGY.EMAIL.TXT
END IF

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 07, 2019, 09:32:05 PM
Who jaywalks with a bike, and takes multiple seconds to cross a single lane of traffic, and doesn't move out the way of a car (automated or otherwise).

Drunk, etc.?  Not that that excuses what happened even if so.

touchingcloth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 07, 2019, 10:13:29 PM

IF(TURNS OUT LATER NOT PEDO)
   SEND; PERSONAL.APLOLGY.EMAIL.TXT
END IF

You need a GOTO before SEND. That code will never run.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 07, 2019, 09:32:05 PM

Who says "jaywalk"? It's just normal walking that some cunts have decided is different. Is it jaydriving when someone pops two wheels on the pavement?

Why have you invented this awful term, Ferris? Why?

Ferris

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 07, 2019, 10:22:46 PM
Drunk, etc.?  Not that that excuses what happened even if so.

No, absolutely not. It just seemed odd to me.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 07, 2019, 10:27:39 PM
Who says "jaywalk"? It's just normal walking that some cunts have decided is different. Is it jaydriving when someone pops two wheels on the pavement?

Why have you invented this awful term, Ferris? Why?

For a laff, like.

touchingcloth

IF(IS(FERRIS))
   GOTO BEGIN SUBROUTINE(SUBROUTINE)
END IF
   SUBROUTINE "SUBROUTINE"
       MOW DOWN(FERRIS, "TOFUCK")
       RETURN "LOL"
       GOTO END
   END
END

Ferris

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 07, 2019, 10:26:13 PM
You need a GOTO before SEND. That code will never run.

I'm running it on a special computer no one's ever seen in my dad's attic. He said you can't see it because you're not an experienced enough coder and might brake it

touchingcloth

Well, this is exciting. I heard that Tesla are planning to enter the self-driving car market, so I tweeted Elon Musk a copy of my code above. He's just wired me $50,000 for it.