Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Noel Fielding creating Netflix comedy about a Magical Record player

Started by Mobius, November 07, 2019, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Sin Agog

Will probably be a half-arsed excuse for him to hang out with Serge from Kasabian, but I actually quite liked Luxury Comedy as a puddle of enjoyable colour vomit, and this could potentially be similar. Right now I'm just visualising him wiggling about a cut-out of a banana whilst repeating 'Ooh, I'm a right nana!' in a flaky attempt at a gravelly voice.  Yeah, not sure how this can be good.

Captain Z

Oh man what if there's like a narwhal who can see into the future

Bennett Brauer

Wait, he hasn't written it yet?

Steal the idea, write 6 episodes on Ritalin, give it to Apple next week. (Claim not to have heard of Noel Fielding.)

Catalogue Trousers

Mobius

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 07, 2019, 10:29:52 PM
I actually quite liked Luxury Comedy as a puddle of enjoyable colour vomit

Really? It was one of the worst things I've ever seen

madhair60

phantom_power

How can Netflix commission a series based on that flimsy "Mr Benn for cool kids" pitch. I imagine they have said something like "sounds OK but come back when you have written something you dozy prick" and he has run with it

phantom_power

Hold on. At the top it says he hasn't started writing it yet but further on it says they have been writing for over a year. Either Chortle have fucked up or Fielding is doing that thing kids did at school where they pretended they hadn't studied for exams before getting an A

momatt

Quote from: phantom_power on November 08, 2019, 10:17:47 AM
How can Netflix commission a series based on that flimsy "Mr Benn for cool kids" pitch.

Netflix have been giving shows to pretty much anyone for a while now!
I got the green-light for my special this morning.  It's just gonna be sitting on the sofa wanking, but still better than a lot of their exclusive stand-up specials.

amateur

Quote from: momatt on November 08, 2019, 12:24:49 PM
Netflix have been giving shows to pretty much anyone for a while now!
I got the green-light for my special this morning.  It's just gonna be sitting on the sofa wanking, but still better than a lot of their exclusive stand-up specials.

Predict this will start with gusto before fizzling out towards the end.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Mobius on November 08, 2019, 04:02:25 AM

I liked the second series but found the first pretty meh. The second seemed more self-aware.

phantom_power

Quote from: amateur on November 08, 2019, 12:27:50 PM
Predict this will start with gusto before fizzling out towards the end.

I reckon it will start well, get a bit dull and repetitive in the middle before sparking to life with a few episodes to go and finishing with a bang to set up the next season

Dannyhood91

Cuellar

How can Netflix commission a series based on that flimsy "Mr Benn for cool kids" pitch. I imagine they have said something like "sounds OK but come back when you have written something you dozy prick" and he has run with it

Tony Benn!

Clownbaby

I can only stick Noel lad when he isn't given full reign of a thing. Luxury Comedy was him at peak indulged and it was a crap mess

I am pretty sure that this will also be a crap mess

Bently Sheds

There will probably be some badly animated sequence where the magic record player, played by Noel in Ziggy Stardust makeup, is chased by angry cassette tapes and ends up being swallowed by a passing Mary Quant handbag voiced by the lead singer of The Horrors. Or something.

I wonder if his brother will take a week's holiday from working in Currys to film his bits.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

His brother freaks me out. He's like the mad scientist's son thing from the early series of South Park. Or a dwarf Stephen King.

Twed

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 09, 2019, 03:59:17 PMHe's like the mad scientist's son thing from the early series of South Park. Or a dwarf Stephen King.
Amazing on two counts.

peanutbutter

Fielding has had a real bounce back from being the cooking show host, hasn't he? I've seen his name mentioned far more in the last year or two than I had for close to a decade. I imagine Netflix think he has potential to break out in a much bigger way in the US still.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 08, 2019, 11:32:32 PM
I wish he'd go bald.
Pretty sure he's chopped his hair down some, no?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh, so he looks like a shit Elvis now. Could be a wig anyway.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mobius on November 08, 2019, 04:02:25 AM

Then you obviously haven't seen Dare To Believe. I'm a casual fan of The Mighty Boosh, not that I'd defend it. Luxury Comedy doesn't hold my attention and I've watched hardly any of it but in the spirit of Christmas I watched a few minutes of this episode just minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lnDDW4kqXY

And in fairness to Fielding, he is somewhat self aware and pokes fun at himself and his reputation as a lol whimsy cunt at least 3 or 4 times in the first 6 minutes, credit to him for that. He might continue to poke fun at himself after the 6 minute mark but 6 minutes of that is my limit. The point is if that's one of the worst things you've ever seen then you ain't seen shit.

I mean it is bad, don't get me wrong. But is it worse that Daniel Simonsen in CaB favourite House of Fools? He was godawful in that.

checkoutgirl

How can Netflix commission a series based on that flimsy "Mr Benn for cool kids" pitch.

How much money have they given Ricky Gervais for old rope? 100 million? 150 million?

Chucking a few quid at a guy who is relatively popular wiv da kids (especially females who inexplicably idolise Fielding) seems quite benign by comparison. Actually that's a good question, how much money have Netflix given Gervais?

Ferris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 09, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
Actually that's a good question, how much money have Netflix given Gervais?

Check his twitter feed. If it's not in his last few missives, then he will tweet it out again shortly.

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 09, 2019, 07:27:37 PM
Then you obviously haven't seen Dare To Believe. I'm a casual fan of The Mighty Boosh, not that I'd defend it. Luxury Comedy doesn't hold my attention and I've watched hardly any of it but in the spirit of Christmas I watched a few minutes of this episode just minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lnDDW4kqXY

Dare to Believe was indeed gubbins, but it did have one bit that made me laugh - a shot of a tarmac path through a public park with s sign on it saying RIVER OUT OF ORDER. Which is one more laugh than Luxury Comedy eked out of me in the 10 or so scattered minutes I've watched on YouTube since it was mentioned in this thread (although I do really like the intro sequence for season two).

That said, I do quite like Fielding for reasons I can't really put my finger on, and I don't begrudge him getting a couple of quid off Netflix to make a show that will be lost in the endless sea of CONTENT once the trailers stop rolling after a couple of days.

Mobius

I stumbled across some Daniel simonson comedy blah thing on YouTube the other day and yeah it was horrific