Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Yeah right, the "rank and file" Lib Dems are going to rise up if their leaders join the Tories? Like they didn't before. Have you ever heard a Lib Dem state regret at joining the coalition? For their part in the austerity that caused fucking Brexit in the first place? I haven't.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 12, 2019, 03:04:16 PM
The Tories weren't the shower of far right cunts they are today though. Would you honestly want to be working alongside Jacob Rees-Mogg? They chose to work with that seemingly quite nice David Cameron, and William 'a bit annoying' Hague, not the total scum they'd be rubbing shoulders with today.

More like they were an unknown quantity posing as "liberal" (in comparison to Gordon Brown). "Just call me Dave".

idunnosomename

William Hague... a BIT ANNOYING?

You might as well say that Stalin was a right old bossyboots.

Dr Rock

Quote from: NoSleep on November 12, 2019, 03:27:31 PM
More like they were an unknown quantity posing as "liberal" (in comparison to Gordon Brown). "Just call me Dave".

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 12, 2019, 03:31:15 PM
William Hague... a BIT ANNOYING?

Very different party then, or at least seemed so when they made their decision. Lots of things are different, including that they may well learn from their past mistake rather than do it again. Don't worry, in the real world I'm saying don't trust the LibDems, they'll go into coalition with the Tories again. But here, I think there's some points to be made that it's not the 100% certainty that seems to be the majority view. It would be a really stupid thing for them to do, though that doesn't mean they won't do it. It arguably wasn't such a stupid decision in 2010.

Buelligan

OK, but a matter of days ago, their leader, Jo, said she'd never go into coalition with Labour (and she was also the person that prevented Jeremy Corbyn leading an interim government - and was prepared to risk a No Deal crash out to stop Corbyn leading the country even if only for a few weeks).  By contrast, she's been quite reticent about not working with Johnson after the election.

In what world do those real events, forgetting the previous coalition sell-out, mean that Labour voters can rely on or trust, the LDs in any way at all?

king_tubby

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18031292.libdem-candidate-hilariously-claims-won-nobel-peace-prize/

Quotea campaign leaflet for the party's Sue Wixley is claiming she won the Nobel Peace Prize.

It would be an impressive achievement for the Putney candidate if it was true.

In the flyer, Wixley proudly states she "led the campaign to ban landmines in South Africa, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize".

Not only did Wixley not win the prize, the campaign to ban landmines in South Africa didn't either.

The 1997 peace prize was split between Jody Williams and the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.

The International Campaign to Ban Landmines was itself made up of multiple national campaigns, including Afghanistan, Cambodia, Kenya and South Africa – the latter of which Wixley co-founded whilst working for Oxfam in Johannesburg.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Buelligan on November 12, 2019, 04:34:07 PM
By contrast, she's been quite reticent about not working with Johnson after the election.

Yes she has, she's said that the LibDems wouldn't put either Corbyn or Johnson into No 10, no coalitions with either of them, because she's definitely going to win.

She may come under some pressure to stop saying that as the election gets closer and they are even further behind in the polls.

Buelligan

In the reports I've read, Independent, BBC, Guardian, she was a great deal more scathing and aggressive towards Corbyn and Labour, hardly mentioning Johnson or the tories at all.

Dr Rock

Yes, that's been my perception too.

Dr Rock

I think she's gone bananas anyway. I bet she's replaced after the election.

Buelligan

NoSleep

They must have at least found out what a lukewarm bag of nothing he is by now.

Chuka is bigtime - he has a lookalike on the prestigious Susan Scott Lookalikes website, and there's neauw sign of Jeaaauuw.

http://www.lookalikes.info/our-lookalikes/political/chuka-umunna-(atul)

king_tubby

In 'well done, piss diamond' news, Tim Walker has stepped down in Canterbury. Considering he was such a jabroni when he announced himself as a PPC, this is very big turnaround.

NoSleep

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 12, 2019, 07:01:00 PM
Chuka is bigtime - he has a lookalike on the prestigious Susan Scott Lookalikes website, and there's neauw sign of Jeaaauuw.

http://www.lookalikes.info/our-lookalikes/political/chuka-umunna-(atul)

Looks more like a bald Alan Partridge. Or maybe Ed Miliband.

New folder

Quote from: king_tubby on November 12, 2019, 07:07:25 PM
In 'well done, piss diamond' news, Tim Walker has stepped down in Canterbury. Considering he was such a jabroni when he announced himself as a PPC, this is very big turnaround.

That's good news indeed. Their membership seemed to have been very disgruntled about Canterbury. And if Blind Sycophants Anonymous a.k.a. the Lib Dem membership is unhappy, then you must've done something really wrong

NoSleep

Hope there's a few more more big enough to step down.

jobotic

Yeah good for him. They could still put someone else forward though.

biniput

Quote from: jobotic on November 12, 2019, 03:15:50 PM
Yeah right, the "rank and file" Lib Dems are going to rise up if their leaders join the Tories? Like they didn't before. Have you ever heard a Lib Dem state regret at joining the coalition? For their part in the austerity that caused fucking Brexit in the first place? I haven't.

Didn't "rank and file" voters leave the LDs at the 2015 election? The Dems got a small rise at the 2017 election of more seats with less vote share so this time around we MUST assume that these people in polls are for LD only through brexit. My point being is that this time round there are very few actual "core" LD voters to worry about. this is all about the Brexit types so they must be the target.

king_tubby

Quote from: jobotic on November 12, 2019, 07:37:04 PM
Yeah good for him. They could still put someone else forward though.

Narrator: they are.

king_tubby

Robert Flello lasts less than 36 hours, ladies and gentlemen.

QuoteBut the Lib Dems have today (Tuesday) announced his deselection on the grounds of 'how greatly his values diverge from ours', due to his voting record on gay marriage and abortion.

Have the Lib Dems heard of their former leader, Tim Farron?

rjd2

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 12, 2019, 12:58:51 PM
Happened before, could easily happen again.

If no Brexit then maybe. However do you really think the tories will give them a 2nd referendum?

Imagine the ramifications for the tories especially if they lost?

Swinson probably would ask Boris to step down as plenty of the deserters from the tory party loath him.

It would be to much for the tories to accept.

king_tubby

Right, so the four locally approved replacement candidates in Canterbury have apparently refused to stand, and if a PPC is imposed by Lib Dem central they will apparently get no local support.

Clown shoes.

imitationleather

Quote from: rjd2 on November 12, 2019, 09:44:06 PM
Swinson probably would ask Boris to step down as plenty of the deserters from the tory party loath him.

She'll probably want to be made Conservative party leader as her top condition.

Buelligan

And to be addressed as Captain Margaret going forward.

And she'll make them all dress up as plump aging extras from the Next Generation, she's even had some racist ears made up for Chuka.

peanutbutter

Quote from: king_tubby on November 12, 2019, 09:44:50 PM
Right, so the four locally approved replacement candidates in Canterbury have apparently refused to stand, and if a PPC is imposed by Lib Dem central they will apparently get no local support.

Clown shoes.
They're planing to send someone though, aren't they?

Utterly fucking bizarre on the whole, they could've announced it alongside Tim Walker with a "we've had someone stand aside, now it's your turn Labour" response.
Either Walker didn't want it to look like it wasn't his choice his withdraw or Lib Dem leadership is so fixated on looking strong to the point that they've no interest in looking smart.

imitationleather

Standing aside would undermine their batshit "We can win a majority!" rhetoric.

thugler

Ridiculous that it's taken to this point for them to start doing this. The latest polls following brexit party announcing their deal look fucking shit. Need far more of this to happen to have a shot

peanutbutter

Quote from: thugler on November 12, 2019, 10:14:05 PM
Ridiculous that it's taken to this point for them to start doing this. The latest polls following brexit party announcing their deal look fucking shit. Need far more of this to happen to have a shot
They haven't started though, have they? Tim Walker realised a month of people spitting in his face didn't seem very appealing and he withdrew.

NoSleep

Time to listen to Robert Wyatt's (old) song about the LibDems - Alliance (still relevant):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGGV-XSL7c