Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 12, 2019, 05:27:42 PM
I think she's gone bananas anyway. I bet she's replaced after the election.

How much does she "run the party". Is she really calling the shots like "PUT ME ON THE SIDE OF A BUS" and "SKILLS WALLETS" or is she just the front to the membership?

she strikes me as severely lacking in agency and just capable of putting up a front but nothing else. Corbyn I think just genuinely cares about getting a Labour government with Labour values in and represents his party membership. Swinson is just a homunculus.

marquis_de_sad

She's Nicola Murray minus the self-doubt.

peanutbutter

Isnt it just that, in lieu of any especially charismatic guy, they basically felt like they had to give it to a woman and due to her time in office and the low number of MPs they had basically no choice but to give it to her?

Not exactly hard to see how others would want her to go with this whole PM thing so that when they enter a coalition they can make her step down and assume the lead themselves.

imitationleather

Given the fact she is never off the telly I had assumed they were setting Layla Moran up for leader. Was she rejected because of the hitting her fellah stuff?

idunnosomename

i mean she still won a poll by the membership so you can't really say anyone "gave it" her.

layla moran was a leading candidate because she had least to do with the coalition but she bottled it i think because she only won her seat in 2017

king_tubby

Guy Kiddey, Lib Dem PPC for High Peak has said he will resign unless the Lib Dem leadership apologise to Tim Walker.

Cuellar

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 12, 2019, 10:52:35 PM
How much does she "run the party". Is she really calling the shots like "PUT ME ON THE SIDE OF A BUS" and "SKILLS WALLETS"

Was that 'SKILLS WALLETS' real?!

NoSleep

Yeah; £10,000 per person for tuition through their life.

Cuellar

Fair enough, but surely there's a better way to advertise it than 'SKILLS WALLETS' - what do those words even mean. Sounds like 'skin wallet', which sounds like a euphemism for a vagina.

greencalx

Quote from: king_tubby on November 13, 2019, 10:05:03 AM
Guy Kiddey, Lib Dem PPC for High Peak has said he will resign unless the Lib Dem leadership apologise to Tim Walker.

Feels like the wheels are falling off the bus.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Cuellar on November 13, 2019, 10:27:07 AM
Fair enough, but surely there's a better way to advertise it than 'SKILLS WALLETS' - what do those words even mean. Sounds like 'skin wallet', which sounds like a euphemism for a vagina.

No, Skills Wallet sounds edgy and cool, don't you know anything granddad?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cuellar on November 13, 2019, 10:19:01 AM
Was that 'SKILLS WALLETS' real?!
turns out it was. I mean as someone said its effective GABBO IS COMING marketing but ultimately its dwarfed by Labours National Education Service proposals

Buelligan

buttgammon

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 13, 2019, 10:29:58 AM
No, Skills Wallet sounds edgy and cool, don't you know anything granddad?

The Lib Dems, seen yesterday.

poodlefaker

where does the Piss Diamond thing come from?

king_tubby

The Lib Dem tweeters put a little yellow diamond icon in their twitter name, next to the EU flag, #FBPE and #KTP.

Konki

king_tubby

EOLAN

Quote from: Konki on November 13, 2019, 12:19:24 PM
What's KTP?

KILL THE POOR?

Probably their way of remembering the 'Dead (Charles) Kennedys'.

Buelligan

A private signal for amateurs of ketamine, perhaps?

Cuellar

Buelligan

Posting this pic, with an invitation to write funny captions, couldn't possibly backfire.

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1194645617794043905?s=19

olliebean

Quote from: Cuellar on November 13, 2019, 10:27:07 AM

Got people talking about it, didn't it?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 13, 2019, 05:22:19 PM
Posting this pic, with an invitation to write funny captions, couldn't possibly backfire.

LIB DEM COMMS CENTRAL

Jo Swinson: Ok guys, I need to choose an image for my twitter. Hashtag nervous! What are our options?

Geoff: Well, the crew went for a cheeky nandos last night and this came up. Basically, we've narrowed it down to five.

Geoff lays out five printed photographs on the conference table in a fan motion. One has unfortunately printed over two pieces of paper, but he straightens them out to connect them properly.

Tabitha: I think we're going for strong optics, here. Like, "yasss queen!"

Barnaby: I like this one.

Barnaby points to a picture of Jo Swinson holding a cat in her left hand while flexing the biceps of her right arm. She is wearing a yellow t-shirt that says #I'M WITH JO.

Barnaby: I mean, can't fail with cats.

He grins and gives Geoff a high five.

Tabitha: What about this one?

She points to a picture of Jo Swinson wearing a yellow hard hat and visibility vest. She is frowning at a poster that says, "Anti-semitism".

Barnaby: It's got optics.

Geoff: I like the in-charge feel. Powerful. Osborne. Projects dominance.

Tabitha: It takes a stand. Draws a line in the sand.

Jo Swinson: What sort of hashtag are we thinking here?

Tabitha: Hashtag neverforget?

Geoff: Hashtag onenation?

Barnaby: Hashtag leadership, hashtag incharge... Would hashtag Anne Frank being going too far?

Jo Swinson: I don't like the dress.

Geoff: Ok, how about this one?

Geoff points to a photograph of Jo Swinson standing in a boxing ring wearing yellow boxing gloves. She is surrounded by photographers.

Jo Swinson: Yes. I mean yaass!

Jo does a 'jazz hands' motion, then nervously looks at Tabitha.

Jo Swinson: Like that?

Tabitha: It's good, but maybe try it with no hands. And say "queen".

Jo Swinson: Queen.

Tabitha: No, I mean...

Tabitha is interrupted by Geoff, who taps on the photograph.

Geoff: The pic. What do we think? Green light?

Tabitha: I like it.

Barnaby: It's strong. Stable. Dominant. In charge.

Jo Swinson: I dunno. You can't really see my face.

Barnaby: No, it's good, it's good.

Tabitha: It's really very powerful. People are ready for a strong woman.

Geoff: I'm thinking green light.

Jo Swinson: More like yellow light!

Geoff: You don't like it?

Jo Swinson: No, no, I mean: yellow. Lib Dems.

Geoff: Right.

END SCENE

Dr Rock

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 13, 2019, 05:22:19 PM

The comments are great, if anyone thought not to click the link.

Dr Rock

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/13/second-lib-dem-guy-kiddey-threatens-to-stand-down-in-marginal-seat
Jo Swinson denies losing control over Lib Dem party

Kiddey said that there were many other Lib Dem candidates standing in marginal seats who felt the same as he did. "We are all as torn as Tim Walker, but none of us is as noble," he said. "I've never met Mr Walker but, as a distant colleague, I stand by him and his decision to stand down."

His statement continued: "Even though the Lib Dems now plan to field a candidate to replace Mr Walker, I hope the good people of Canterbury have noted the spirit of his gesture and will honour its intentions."

He also criticised Swinson for her bullish leadership style. "I have spent much time apologising for it on the rainy doorsteps of High Peak, and it seems to have spread through the ranks of the party leadership," he wrote.