Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

LibDems have gone full-on Boris Johnson with facts, honesty and reality. As if that was something to aspire to.

phantom_power

They are clearly trying to game the whole tactical voting thing to make out that they are the best vote to get the tories out. It would be clever if it wasn't done so blatantly and badly

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greenman on November 08, 2019, 10:03:53 AM
Farron, the politician Paddy could have been.

Wait, Paddy Ashdown is dead? It seems like only yesterday he was promising to eat his hat

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 08, 2019, 10:33:21 AM
They're clearly going after the people-who-don't-read-the-small-print vote.  Others already have the Leave tranche of that demographic trussed up and ready for the oven.  Ping.

Why would you vote based on which party had a larger bar chart? Policies are dead, it seems.

thenoise

They seem to be aiming for people who hate the Tories, but have absolutely no idea why.

king_tubby

BlodwynPig

I thought the word 'disabled' was forbidden now. Shame on BBC

idunnosomename

Quote from: buttgammon on November 08, 2019, 10:02:11 AM
We're talking about Lib Dems, people so bland they wouldn't even consider the possibility of inviting dead people to a fantasy dinner party, despite the fact that it's a fucking fantasy.
i mean he could still be dead

thenoise

That cat flap/flat cap joke could have come from a jokes thread here. ITS THAT GOOD.

Edit: he'd have got away with it if he'd said it was Rev Spooner.

Buelligan

dannyfc

Was anyone else duped for voting for them in 2010?

Thought they were more left-wing than the current Labour Govt for some reason and basically signed off 5 years of austerity, what a plank.

king_tubby

honeychile

Quote from: dannyfc on November 08, 2019, 06:07:54 PM
Was anyone else duped for voting for them in 2010?

Thought they were more left-wing than the current Labour Govt for some reason and basically signed off 5 years of austerity, what a plank.

Yeah i posted this in another thread:

QuoteIn 2010 i voted Lib Dem in our three-way marginal. Labour had the seat previously, but the Tories were favourites to take it and i calculated that the Lib Dems would run them closest. In the end the Tories did win, and the Lib Dems did run them closest. What i hadn't quite realised at that time of course was that voting Lib Dem to keep the Tories out would not keep the Tories out even if the Lib Dem had won the seat. 2010 was a cunt's election, it's easy to forget that Brown had already got austerity under way, and Labour were the most vehemently authoritarian of all the major parties - remember the National identity register, ID cards, detention without trial, all that shit? Of course the Tories opposed it all under Labour, in fact in many regards pre-2010 they were quite a lot better than Labour on issues of privacy etc. Then they remembered authoritarianism was actually a great idea once they got into office.

dannyfc

Quote from: honeychile on November 08, 2019, 06:38:45 PM
Yeah i posted this in another thread:

I remember feeling it was election suicide to concede to austerity measures and basically validate the Tory lie that Govt spending caused the recession. I guess to a certain extent the defeat did help  usher the party back to the left, first through Miliband and eventually Corbyn.

My fear is the next one is the last chance. A heavy defeat will see the rise of Jess Phillips and back to old New Labour ways.

NoSleep

king_tubby

Here's the 'I demand to see the manager' Hove PPC again:

https://twitter.com/BeatriceLibDem/status/1185852774505996288

"Hang on, this extension of the Brexit deadline until 31 January 2020 will better not ruin my ski season. December and January are for winter sports not campaigning. Not to mention that WEF is in January as well. I am not amused."

idunnosomename

if you liked:

DEBATE HER YES

you will bloody love:

imitationleather

"Skills Wallet" is a really foul euphemism.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on November 08, 2019, 07:10:56 PM
"Skills Wallet" is a really foul euphemism.

Mate i saw you at the cashpoint and you came away empty handed and empty skills walleted

Dr Rock

Shut up, I think it's a great policy to add to the other one and can't wait for more.

Dr Rock

SKILLS WALLET will see them turn around their flagging poll ratings, you just wait.

I'm with you JO YES. Take me with you to the brighter future promised by your garish clothes!

greencalx

Fambo Number Mive

I like the way her hand is reaching into the blue part, as if she wants to grab hold of the Tories for a coalition

Cold Meat Platter

Sebastian Cobb

There was a bloody good opinion piece in The Guardian about them today.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/07/jo-swinson-tactical-voting-general-election

QuoteAnd yet hoping to win via technicalities and a series of PR stunts is emblematic of the kind of centrism Swinson represents. It is a politics that believes the great ideological debates have been settled, and that all that remains is managerialism and optics. That she is entirely wrong about this has been obscured so far by her canny decision to position the Lib Dems as the party of remain. But sooner or later it will become clear that the Lib Dems' bollocks to Brexit revival is merely a tarpaulin covering a giant hole where a political vision should be.
:laughing:

Dr Rock

New folder

No wait, that implies that she has some skills. Fuck.

Dr Rock