Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:58:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Who shall fact-check the fact-checkers?!

Buelligan

SpiderChrist

Quote from: olliebean on November 26, 2019, 01:37:55 PM
They did the same here. I assume it's a country-wide tactic.

And here (SE Cambs).

jobotic

Labour need to play then at their own game.

Mock up some jazz mags and chuck them round the woods of each marginal constituency.

Got one too. My initial half-arsed glance did make me think "blimey, our local free shit rag have got a lot of Lib Dem stories today. Are they really this popular?"

The bit where it says 'Jo Swinson - the Prime Minister Britain deserves' is when I began to suspect it was either LD campaign literature or satire.

Fambo Number Mive

It's certainly a very harsh thing to say about Britain.

greencalx

I just got the Jo Swinson newsletter - amazing how much they have based the campaign around her. Presumably they see a charisma or integrity that is lost on me.

imitationleather

Quote from: greencalx on November 26, 2019, 02:01:59 PM
I just got the Jo Swinson newsletter - amazing how much they have based the campaign around her. Presumably they see a charisma or integrity that is lost on me.

Apparently Lib Dem HQ is already questioning the wisdom of basing a Presidential campaign around her.

They really could have asked any of us if this was a good idea months ago and stopped it. I mean, admittedly I probably would have lied and said it was to fuck them up. But that's because deep down I knew it was going to go like this.

Cuellar

Quote from: Quote on November 26, 2019, 01:57:54 PM
The bit where it says 'Jo Swinson - the Prime Minister Britain deserves' is when I began to suspect it was either LD campaign literature or satire.

Sounds about right to be fair.

idunnosomename

Jo swinson should be exiled to st helena where she can be prime minister of herself

marquis_de_sad

I love the idea of a load of spads talking themselves into thinking that Jo Swinson is going to be Prime Minister. 'Talking' of course being a euphemism for doing enough coke to fell a Gallagher.

Buelligan

So do I, it's made me snigger.  The cherry, of course, being the come down.

Bobtoo

They did it here too. Campbell, Rennie and Swinson on the front page. I'm pretty sure the title uses the same font and colour as our actual local rag

idunnosomename

It seems weirdly deceptive to disguise your electioneering material as a general local paper, I'm sorry

BlodwynPig

Desperate and immoral

Labour the only party campaigning on substance, the rest on sneering, hatred, lies and bizarre gimmickry. Sadly this seems our future.

thenoise

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 26, 2019, 10:23:50 PM
It seems weirdly deceptive to disguise your electioneering material as a general local paper, I'm sorry

Lib Dems have done it for years, shurely? Their next move is a faux-handwritten letter in a sealed envelope, thanking you personally for your support and assuring you how much they care about you personally.

imitationleather

Quote from: thenoise on November 27, 2019, 08:08:27 AM
Lib Dems have done it for years, shurely? Their next move is a faux-handwritten letter in a sealed envelope, thanking you personally for your support and assuring you how much they care about you personally.

Yeah I remember getting a "newsletter" from them in the '90s. It almost fooled me, but fortunately I was ten years old and unable to vote.

Fambo Number Mive

The editorial director of Newsquest has made a formal complaint to the Liberal Democrats over this: https://twitter.com/TobyGranville/status/1199357766164459520

Chollis

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 27, 2019, 11:08:59 AM
The editorial director of Newsquest has made a formal complaint to the Liberal Democrats over this: https://twitter.com/TobyGranville/status/1199357766164459520

Replies to that say that every party, Labour/Tory/SNP whoever has been doing that sort of mock newspaper thing since time began. Have they? To that extent?

greencalx

Fake newspapers certainly have been part of the campaign oeuvre for some time, and I'm surprised that anyone would be taken in my something that has a picture of Jo Swinson next to every article... Should have died out as a thing years ago.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Chollis on November 27, 2019, 11:13:05 AM
Replies to that say that every party, Labour/Tory/SNP whoever has been doing that sort of mock newspaper thing since time began. Have they? To that extent?
replies by lib dems including a fucking councillor

Ferris

Dex Sawash

thenoise

I presume that one was 'oh all the parties do it' - more Fib Dem bullshit, they all look like election leaflets just with different themes and designs, except the Fib Dems with their fake newspapers and fake handwritten letters and fake charts.

Jockice

Quote from: olliebean on November 27, 2019, 12:22:08 PM
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/public-warned-to-guard-against-political-parties-mimicking-trusted-local-newspapers-the-yorkshire-post-says-1-10123196

These things have been going for years though. When I used to work for a (supposedly) trusted local newspaper we used to laugh at the spelling and grammatical errors in the things. There was one by a guy called Sid Cordle who used to be a local councillor in Sheffield (one of very few Tories) and then stood for a party called the Christian People's Alliance. I swear the average four-year-old has a better command of the written English language than this bloke. Apparently he's still at it and is standing in a constituency down south in this election. According to his Twitter page he's hoping to raise £500 for his deposit and another grand for leaflets. So far he's raised £30.

Look him up if you want to help him (he's called Sidney now though) as he really is a bigoted prick. Yet somehow he got an MBE. For services to homophobia or something.

Dr Trouser

I volunteered a few hours last night stuffing envelopes for the SNP in my constituency. I couldn't give a toss about HARDINDYREFNOW#2 but I despise Jo Swinson and want to see her booted out.

A few things I learnt;
- A lot of people around here seem to despise her, especially since she started banging on about becoming PM
- There is a real chance she may lose her seat
- Tories who usually vote Lid Dem to stop SNP are moving to SNP to oust her
- the SNP candidate here is a bit of a dud, even by SNP standards