Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

On the Guardian front page at the moment, the words "selfish and dishonest" and "sexist and patronising" both appear very close to "Swinson". Turns out she's talking about Boris Johnson, but that might not be what people immediately think...

Pranet

I know a real life member of the Liberal Democrats. He is not happy that Jo Swinson is leader. He finds her "annoying", and fears that the electorate will feel the same way.

NoSleep

I can't reconcile "real life" and "libdem".

Seems a bit tenuous, but I think this has decided my vote.

olliebean

Quote from: thenoise on November 28, 2019, 04:31:57 AM
I presume that one was 'oh all the parties do it' - more Fib Dem bullshit, they all look like election leaflets just with different themes and designs, except the Fib Dems with their fake newspapers and fake handwritten letters and fake charts.

To be fair, the Tories are doing it as well. Had a fake newspaper from them today.

Blumf

Quote from: olliebean on November 28, 2019, 05:35:36 PM
To be fair, the Tories are doing it as well. Had a fake newspaper from them today.

Are you sure that wasn't just a normal issue of The Guardian?

Buelligan

This made me laugh, thank you lovely Blumf.

king_tubby

Yes, have a 'heh' from me too.

greencalx

They've been doing that alright!

Chairman Yang

Is that just how the photo is or is your man a Longhead?

Fambo Number Mive

Jo Swinson thinks renationalisation is a "distraction". A different shade of Tory.

BlodwynPig

TIME FOR THE SCRAP HEAP LIBERAL SCUM

Ferris

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on December 01, 2019, 05:29:57 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/01/lib-dems-suspend-campaigner-over-apparent-email-forgery

When your campaign is going just great thanks.

This is incredible.

QuoteJo Swinson's party has been fighting the website openDemocracy for weeks over a little-noticed article published last month about the party allegedly selling voter data to the remain campaign for £100,000 during the EU referendum.

As part of an attempt to have the story substantially retracted, the Liberal Democrats claimed openDemocracy failed to follow standard journalistic practice and ignored a denial from the party which had been emailed in advance of publication.

But openDemocracy said it had checked its records and no such email had ever been received.

The party's lawyers provided a screengrab of the supposed communication. The Lib Dems held this up as conclusive evidence that openDemocracy had engaged in journalistic malpractice and demanded a prominent written apology.

However, openDemocracy noticed something was amiss. It pointed out the screengrab of the supposed email from the Lib Dem official was dated 4.39pm on 12 November – the day before its journalist had approached the party for comment.

The investigative news website asked how it was possible that the Lib Dems were claiming to have documentary evidence of a party official sending a response 18 hours before the original question had been asked.

After several days of silence, the Lib Dems retracted the email and said an employee had been suspended pending an investigation into the provision of false information.

Leo2112

The biggest threat to some Labour seats continues to be Lib Dem lies.  Hopefully the canvassers can cut through this

BlodwynPig

"A brighter future for me and my husband"

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder how many trees have been cut down to make Lib Dem leaflets.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 02, 2019, 12:18:05 PM

Nicking that for the desolation thread

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 02, 2019, 12:18:05 PM
less than how many have been cut down in the path of jo swinsons implacable squirrel bloodlust

greenman

Quote from: Leo2112 on December 01, 2019, 11:27:43 PM
The biggest threat to some Labour seats continues to be Lib Dem lies.  Hopefully the canvassers can cut through this

You look at Lib Dem donors and I wonder how many of them are driven mostly by a desire to try and sabotage Labour enough that they shift back to the right? I'm guessing a significant percentage so its not surprising this is reflected in how they act and were they put their resources.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

bgmnts

Yeah I assumed that was the whole plan in the first place.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's the post-Brexit political battlefield issue that Lib Dems can use?

Things won't magically clear up after Brexit, or after Corbyn. All the trade deals won't mean shit to 95% of the public but we will still be consumed by European issues over the next few years and whether 'proper Brexit has been done', or whether it has been a colossal mistake and we should rejoin, etc.

You would still think Labour has a clearer run. Something always comes along but whatever outcome of the election, it feels like Labour crossed the rubicon some time ago. Without another trojan horse issue the Tories will be crushed unless they capitulate on some social democracy issues, which they are already starting to under Boris.

Will the Labour membership panic if there's defeat and elect Keir Starmer/Benn (if he runs) or a more charismatic, less baggage lefty such as Clive Lewis?

Konki

If only Chuka hadn't left :-(

Thursday

Hypothetically if we're in hung parliament territory. Are Lib Dems going into a coalition with the tories again? What do they get from it, because they're not going to get a 2nd Brexit referendum are they?

I can completely imagine them doing it anyway, and yet that would be an even bigger betrayal than 2010 that I don't think it would actually happen.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Thursday on December 02, 2019, 01:42:36 PM
Hypothetically if we're in hung parliament territory. Are Lib Dems going into a coalition with the tories again?

Would anyone trust them not to?

QuoteWhat do they get from it

The pretence of being in power.

NoSleep

Quote from: Thursday on December 02, 2019, 01:42:36 PM
What do they get from it, because they're not going to get a 2nd Brexit referendum are they?

Oblivion at the next election (which might not be so far away if we're heading towards another hung parliament). I believe they're smart enough to go for this option based on their decisions so far.

thenoise

I'd imagine that they'll offer coalition with whichever party is willing to sack their 'extremist' leader for a nice middle of the road neoliberal candidate. Which will give them the thrill of having chos n the next prime minister (sort of), the nearest they will ever come to having a lib dem in number 10.