Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Blumf

Dr Rock

Ferris

Quote from: dannyfc on November 08, 2019, 06:07:54 PM
Was anyone else duped for voting for them in 2010?

Thought they were more left-wing than the current Labour Govt for some reason and basically signed off 5 years of austerity, what a plank.

Lived in Sheffield and voted for Mr Clegg directly. Genuinely put me off UK politics, long term.

hedgehog90

What is 'Skills Wallets'?
Ditto 'Big Structural Bailey'.
Is it a pun? What are they trying to communicate?
So confused.

Phil_A

Skillz Walletz sounds like the name of a grime MC.

idunnosomename

get your tits out for the lads jo. its the only way to stop brexit

LanceUppercut

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2019, 10:19:08 AM
The local Lib Dem candidate here (a constituency where the tories have a tiny 600 majority over Labour and the 2 parties got over 90% of the 58,000 votes) has published this bar chart.

The 'last election' was a parish council one in which about 500 people/ 25% of the electorate voted.

Are these dishonest bar charts party policy?
[/quote
To be fair Todites are a weird inbred bunch

olliebean

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50367650

QuoteThe Lib Dems are proposing a £10,000 grant for every adult in England to put towards education and training.

The money would go into a "skills wallet" over a period of 30 years, to help with the cost of approved courses.

So now we know, I guess. I prefer Labour's approach of just making education free for all. People who go to University without rich parents to pay their tuition will already be tens of thousands in debt before they get the first £4000 installment of their skills wallet.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also in 30 years that sum will be worth considerably less.

Oh no only £500 left in my skills wallet, all this gets me is VIALS OF HORSE CUM

Predictable Miliband tier shit

Dr Rock

QuoteThe Lib Dem plan - which would only apply to England as education is devolved to the other nations - would:

Put £4,000 into people's Skills Wallet at the age of 25
Add another £3,000 at 40
And another £3,000 will be put in at 55
The current cost of tuition fees in England for a university course is up to £9,250 per year.

So you don't get anything until you're 25? And then it's 4k. Over 15 years. £266 a year. £5 a week.

olliebean

Also, I bet this'll be used by employers as a way of getting out of paying for job-relevant education and skills training.

I mean it won't, of course, because it'll never happen because they've no chance of winning. It's a meaningless pledge, just something for them to renege on when they go into coalition with the Tories again.

imitationleather

Jo Swinson in her furrowed brow and arms sticking out by her sides stance: "...And that's why we're giving every adult in the country a skills wallet."

buttgammon

Cynical prediction: we'll end up with a Tory-Lib coalition, with the two main concessions being a second referendum (Tories' choice of questions so we end up deciding whether to leave on Thursday or Friday) and some diluted form of Skills Wallet. A Skills Pocket maybe?

greencalx

So the Skills Wallet is real?! Thought it was one of those internet meme thingys that I never understand.

olliebean

Quote from: buttgammon on November 11, 2019, 09:53:58 AM
Cynical prediction: we'll end up with a Tory-Lib coalition, with the two main concessions being a second referendum (Tories' choice of questions so we end up deciding whether to leave on Thursday or Friday) and some diluted form of Skills Wallet. A Skills Pocket maybe?

Knowing the way the Tories do things, you'll have to put money into it yourself which they will then top up. Like the Help-to-Buy ISA. Useless for people who don't have any money to put in in the first place.

olliebean

Actually, in promotional terms, was the Skills Wallets thing a bit of a masterstroke? Putting the incomprehensible ad out first, so everyone was saying "What the hell does Skills Wallets mean?", then announcing the policy so everyone is telling each other about it. Might have been brilliant if the policy was less shit.

Blumf

Skills Wandering the Streets Looking for Dropped Chnage

idunnosomename

Why are the lib dems so unbelievably shit

Cardenio I

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 11, 2019, 11:16:56 AM
Why are the lib dems so unbelievably shit

Because they've got no body to go with!

Thursday

Fuck it, may have to vote Labour even though I'm in a tory/lib dem marginal... I'm in a seat where it probably will go to the Lib Dems, so maybe better to help Labour make in-roads?

idunnosomename

Vote labour fuck the bird of pure piss

BlodwynPig

If everyone in a tory/Lib Dem marginal voted Lib Dem because its a tory/Lib Dem marginal, there would never be a chance for labour. Vote labour.

Can't really agree with that, unless there's any kind of foreseeable chance that Labour could win. I'd still rather have a LibDem MP than a Tory one, even just to put a dent in their numbers and make it more likely for Labour to get the most votes.