Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

That'll be no coalition, then.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/01/odds-against-remain-outsiders-still-win-voters-prevail-brexit

Another article by someone wilfully pretending the Lib Dems earnestly care about stopping Brexit rather than just being seen to stop it.

Deep down these cunts want Brexit to be a disaster so more moderate Tory voters flock to them and meanwhile point and jab Labour as commies so their right wing defects. It is all about regrowing their political force.

Anyone who hasn't realised that yet is fucking deluded.

olliebean

I was wondering what the ex-Labour MPs who ended up in the Lib-Dems would do if called upon to go into coalition with the Tories, and looked up to see how many of them there are. It surprised me to find out there are only 3. In contrast, they have 5 ex-Tories.

Anyway, do we think Luciana Berger, Chuka Umunna and Angela Smith would be up for coalescing with a Boris Johnson government? Or do they still have some of their political principles left?

imitationleather

Quote from: olliebean on December 02, 2019, 04:31:17 PM
Luciana Berger, Chuka Umunna and Angela Smith

These three would cosy up to the Tories without any shadow of the doubt.

jobotic

Quote from: olliebean on December 02, 2019, 04:31:17 PM

Anyway, do we think Luciana Berger, Chuka Umunna and Angela Smith would be up for coalescing with a Boris Johnson government? Or do they still have some of their political principles left?

Without a moment's hesitation. It's what they're fighting for.

pancreas

Labour would say: confidence and supply until second ref or back to the polls.

The LDs would be obliterated if they said no.

NoSleep

Quote from: pancreas on December 02, 2019, 04:37:10 PM
The LDs would be obliterated if they said no.

They are that stupid.

greencalx

There's a lot of twatnoise coming from LDs campaigning hard in seats where they came third last time, at the same time as asking the question 'Why won't Labour stand aside in seats they can't win?'. It's clearly deliberate - they don't care about neutralising Johnson, they just want to show that they've weakened Labour and Corbyn has to go.

imitationleather

Lib Dems will apparently agree to Labour pact provided Ken Clarke is installed as party leader.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 02, 2019, 05:07:26 PM
Liberal Democrats facing competition from Liberal Party candidates in Cornwall: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2019/11/ex-ukip-members-are-standing-liberal-party-candidates-lib-dem-target

So that's where Biggy has been, Cornwall

QuoteWhen asked whether he would consider changing his party's name, Radford responded:

"Why don't you ask the Liberal Democrats to change their name to the remain-remoan alliance, we-know-better-for-the-peasants, we-don't-believe-in-democracy party?"

Fambo Number Mive

It's frustrating how most of the media is ignoring the Liberal Democrats OpenDemocracy story.

Fambo Number Mive

Hugh Lanham should do some campaigning with Labour if he wants to help, and write to the local paper telling people to vote Labour.

peanutbutter

I can understand Berger running in Golders Green, the antisemitism stuff  in the media over the past few years was almost certainly gonna kill Labour and Berger was the perfect candidate for the Lib Dems to run there... but whats the defence for Chuka running in Westminister? I assume that one's a lock for the conservatives now. Surely if they were ever going to want to even look like they wanted to entertain a pact that would be one of the first seats they'd've been expected to step down from?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

See explanations provided upthread

gib

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 02, 2019, 03:48:51 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/01/odds-against-remain-outsiders-still-win-voters-prevail-brexit

Another article by someone wilfully pretending the Lib Dems earnestly care about stopping Brexit rather than just being seen to stop it.

Deep down these cunts want Brexit to be a disaster so more moderate Tory voters flock to them and meanwhile point and jab Labour as commies so their right wing defects. It is all about regrowing their political force.

Anyone who hasn't realised that yet is fucking deluded.

They really are just the other side of the Brexit Party coin. Farage would have nothing to talk about if we actually left the EU.

idunnosomename

he's a bald bollock with delusions of grandeur

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 02, 2019, 11:07:09 PM
See explanations provided upthread
Sorry, I searched for posts mentioning "Chuka" and "Umunna", I forgot to search for "cunt"

Dr Rock

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 02, 2019, 11:02:26 PM
I can understand Berger running in Golders Green, the antisemitism stuff  in the media over the past few years was almost certainly gonna kill Labour

There was just as much antisemitism smearing around Labour in 2017, and it was a Tory hold at 24,599, with Labour on 22,942 and the Liberal Democrats 3,463.

Latest projections show the Tories will easily hold it, as Labour and the LibDems split the opposition.

Might have something to do with the constituency being Finchley Road AND Golders Green, and though it has one of the highest Jewsish populations, that's still only around 10% of the electorate.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 02, 2019, 11:23:34 PM
There was just as much antisemitism smearing around Labour in 2017, and it was a Tory hold at 24,599, with Labour on 22,942 and the Liberal Democrats 3,463.

Latest projections show the Tories will easily hold it, as Labour and the LibDems split the opposition.
oh fuck, I forgot it was that close last time... Forget what I said so.

olliebean

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 02, 2019, 11:23:34 PM

Might have something to do with the constituency being Finchley Road AND Golders Green, and though it has one of the highest Jewsish populations, that's still only around 10% of the electorate.

Yep, it's probably the Tories would have won anyway but Berger was never going to take enough votes off Labour to win so it's a bit pointless her standing here. If the LDs had stood down there may have been a chance Labour could have taken it. In many places, the LDs seem to be more about increasing their vote share (and scuppering Labour) than actually winning seats; I wonder if a new push for PR might be on the cards.

Replies From View

Anyway if they are a golfer's green they should fess up and call it that, rather than sticking with a typo just because it sounds posher.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 03, 2019, 01:05:45 PM
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/rspca-now-kill-squirrels-deer-3599344

NO NATIVE SPECIES LEFT YOU CRETINS

Quotemuntjac deer are accused of causing road accidents and damage to crops.

gotta think of the CLIMATE CHANGE EXACERBATERS ....POOR CLIMATE CHANGE EXACERBATERS

greencalx

Despite strong competition, the most idiotic tweet of the day is

Quote from: Max Gapes
I hear Jo Swinson is considering resigning BEFORE THE ELECTION after what senior Lib Dem sources are saying has been 'a worse campaign than Theresa May's in 2017'

One senior source said: 'with this government and opposition we should be getting over a hundred seats'

(Yes he really is called Max Gapesj

Would what that achieve at this stage? And more to the point, did they think 100 seats were ever a possibility? Have they no knowledge or understanding of our election system?

Will the centre ever realise that they have to offer something other than just not being May/Johnson or Corbyn?

Ferris

How the fuck can anyone be called "Max Gapes"?!

Chris Morris would reject a name that ludicrous out of hand.

idunnosomename

i thought that was a shitposting account

Shoulders?-Stomach!

king_tubby

Certainly is. And you fell for it like the fascists you are.