Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: NoSleep on December 17, 2019, 09:03:08 AM
Call for the LibDems to fall on their sword:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/16/lib-dems-tories-split-vote-labour

Only pubished after the election of course, probably with the intension of hoping to shift Labour to the right in this "merger".

NoSleep

They wouldn't be welcome, would they? The Labour Party would expect them to join Labour, not meld into some Jeff Goldblum nightmare.

idunnosomename

I wonder where the Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats battle bus is or if it's been repainted already

greenman

Quote from: NoSleep on December 17, 2019, 09:36:09 AM
They wouldn't be welcome, would they? The Labour Party would expect them to join Labour, not meld into some Jeff Goldblum nightmare.

I'm pretty much the latter is the Guardians intension, they realise the Lib Dem's have used up their usefulness as a counter to a left wing labour at the ballot box and now they would be more useful trying to ally with centralist elements of Labour.

NoSleep

All I'm saying is the two can't "merge".

New folder

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 17, 2019, 09:27:13 AM
yaaaas QUEEN

I, for one, would find it very empowering to die in a nuclear strike launched by a #gal-pal

They made a big fucking whopper of an error in enabling the election, should have held Johnson's feet to the fire until he self-destructed. He was trapped between a rock and a hard.  Turns out they facilitated brexit as surely as Cummings.

idunnosomename

I mean they didn't STOP BREXIT but they did cause a massive Tory majority so swings and roundabouts

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 17, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
I mean they didn't STOP BREXIT but they did cause a massive Tory majority so swings and roundabouts

Easier to just blame old loony Corbyn tho innit

NoSleep

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 17, 2019, 09:02:45 PM

Swinson worshipped Thatcher.

idunnosomename

god those halcyon days when we posted the "we MUST have a monument to Maggie" headline from Swinson before she kamikaze'd the nation with her battlebus

NoSleep

There's always a bus involved.

BlodwynPig

Did anyone see Davey's party political broadcast (all about him). It was excruciatingly dated. "I will listen...we must listen UP and DOWN the land", "I've always been a carer", couple of half arsed sob stories, vague, tired policy directions, I wasn't watching but the glimpse I had I could have sworn he was wearing a tweed jacket and sitting on a style.

Mr_Simnock

no one watched that, no one, they are all but invisible now at the moment

dothestrand

There is a theory that Labour needs a strong Lib Dem party, presumably because they can win the Tory seats Labour haven't a cat in hell's chance of winning - basically anywhere to the West of Reading, say. The Lib Dems last performed well in a GE in 2005, admittedly in the wake of Iraq. But despite the "I agree with Nick" bollocks, they still fluffed their lines in 2010. And in 2015, their collapse allowed Cameron to get the majority nobody expected him to secure. Since, it's been pointless drift under unconvincing leaders. They are now just a Southwest London rump and even though there may not be much space for them in the political spectrum now Starmer is moving Labour back to the centre, they need to up their game to deny the Tories in the future.

BlodwynPig

"I want to put the Great back into Great Britain, so that we become Great Great Britain"

"The Liberal Democrats are what this Country needs at a time of crises, such as this...a big C conservative, small c conservative, law & order, low tax for the rich party. We can beat the Conservatives at their own game, so come on FUND ME AND MY EXCESSES"

"Back of the net....!"

"Dan, Dan!, Dan!!!, Dan!!!....Dan!, Dan!!,... Dan!!!!!"

These are genuinely lines from that broadcast.

jamiefairlie

They actually polled lower than the SNP in a recent poll, a full UK poll that is.

pigamus

Still baffled why they didn't vote for Layla Moran. Not well liked, presumably. Or some more skellingtons in the closet.

Sebastian Cobb

The lib dems will continue to be a non-entity that slowly gains a following by occupying the void as labour moves rightwards, it will let these poor gullible souls down.

idunnosomename

Quote from: pigamus on September 30, 2020, 09:48:44 PM
Still baffled why they didn't vote for Layla Moran. Not well liked, presumably. Or some more skellingtons in the closet.
i think she wanted to push men's willies in children's faces: not on

dothestrand

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2020, 09:57:19 PM
The lib dems will continue to be a non-entity that slowly gains a following by occupying the void as labour moves rightwards, it will let these poor gullible souls down.

Can't see the Lib Dems drifting to the left, not convincingly anyway. Nobody on the left will buy their conversion after the Orange Book chaps shafted society by enthusiastically ushering in the era of austerity with Dave/Gideon. There is potentially a space on the left for a fringe party of nutters but FPTP will put paid to that and it only helps the right to divide the left/centre-left/centre.

king_tubby

They're making noises about UBI. Not that anyone cares.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on September 30, 2020, 09:48:44 PM

She came across as totally unhinged.

Jerzy Bondov

The fact that somebody with a shot at a fairly prominent role in British politics was going around being 'totally unhinged' and I heard absolutely nothing about it tells you all you need to know about the Lib Dems