Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lib Dems - the thread

Started by king_tubby, November 07, 2019, 09:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 11, 2019, 11:52:20 AM
Can't really agree with that, unless there's any kind of foreseeable chance that Labour could win. I'd still rather have a LibDem MP than a Tory one, even just to put a dent in their numbers and make it more likely for Labour to get the most votes.

That's the kind of chatter I heard in 2010. Its rank bullshit and you know it.

NJ Uncut

Swinson voted with the Tory whip more than Gove, I read today!

Cripes.

idunnosomename

I mean i suppose theres a difference between a lib dem and a massive onnoxious old cunt tory like christopher chope. But between a lib dem and your grieves or whatever who are still tory cunts theres no fucking difference

Oh fuck hes independent now. Might as well have said Soubry. Anyway point is all Tories are cunts and so are the lib dems

idunnosomename

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 11, 2019, 11:59:08 AM

Cripes.
im amazed how the coalition stuff doesnt stick more. She was so fucking into austerity no wonder she thinks she can be PM

If you can unseat a Tory by holding your nose in a Con-Lib marginal, you do it. Without question.

If your biggest priority this election is embarrassing Lib Dems and TINGErs and not stopping Boris Johnson from getting a Tory majority to enact at least five years of unchecked populist cruelty on a nation already on it's knees, you really do need to have a word with yourself.

Labour cannot take this election if those blue seats stay blue.

Yes exactly. The Lib Dems may be yellow Tory cunts, but they serve a useful purpose this election, and that is to take seats from Tories and stop them from getting an overall majority. You need to let them do that, because those seats can never become Labour ones. To think they can is to be as deluded as Jo Swinson thinking she can be prune minister. (thanks auto correct)

idunnosomename

Jo will immediately go into a bootlicking coalition with Johnson and Farage because she has no morals or integrity

She also might just bow out especially if she lost her seat and then we get ChukaChukavision.

New folder

This collection of biting satirical memes I've made will surely win the election:

Templates

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 11, 2019, 12:41:10 PM
If you can unseat a Tory by holding your nose in a Con-Lib marginal, you do it. Without question.

If your biggest priority this election is embarrassing Lib Dems and TINGErs and not stopping Boris Johnson from getting a Tory majority to enact at least five years of unchecked populist cruelty on a nation already on it's knees, you really do need to have a word with yourself.

Labour cannot take this election if those blue seats stay blue.

Exactly. Plus on a selfish level it makes me feel better about "having to" vote Lib Dem to keep another Tory bot out.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 11, 2019, 11:32:25 AM
If everyone in a tory/Lib Dem marginal voted Lib Dem because its a tory/Lib Dem marginal, there would never be a chance for labour. Vote labour.

I agree with this in theory but since the Tories have repealed their own FTPA when it suits them again we're sort of on the back foot in a constituency like where I'm from.

I know it's a bit of a cop out but i would sooner see the lib dem keep that seat if it looks sewn up and, like I said in another thread, try and help efforts to unseat Tories where Labour can actually do that.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 11, 2019, 12:47:18 PM
Yes exactly. The Lib Dems may be yellow Tory cunts, but they serve a useful purpose this election, and that is to take seats from Tories and stop them from getting an overall majority. You need to let them do that, because those seats can never become Labour ones. To think they can is to be as deluded as Jo Swinson thinking she can be prune minister. (thanks auto correct)

I am fucking stunned that people can still believe this.

thenoise

Fib Dems I call them!!!1

Of the Lib {insert word for shit that rhymes with Dems}

king_tubby

thenoise

idunnosomename

Quem sounds pretty gross. Like a name for genital fungus or suchlike

Edit terminus ante quem sounds awful to me now

chveik

the sort of policy that Nicola Murray could have come up with

imitationleather

It's the sort of policy that is needed when absolutely nothing else is going on that politicians should be spending time doing.

Perfect as we approach the calm waters of 2020.

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 11, 2019, 03:36:24 PM
I am fucking stunned that people can still believe this.

You don't think the Lib Dems can take seats from the Tories?  Whether it can actually deprive them of a majority is yet to be seen, but it's got to be worth getting behind.  I don't think it's particularly arguable that there are marginal seats that the Lib Dems have a much better chance of winning than Labour: Cheltenham, Richmond Park, Oxford West, Brecon and Radnorshire, St Ives, Lewes, to name a few.  Why split the anti-Tory vote in those cases?

That doesn't mean you can't still hate what they're doing for choosing to put up candidates against strong Labour seats.  It's almost as if the anti-Brexit talk is just a ruse to lie their way into power!!

thugler

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 11, 2019, 04:06:56 PM
You don't think the Lib Dems can take seats from the Tories?  Whether it can actually deprive them of a majority is yet to be seen, but it's got to be worth getting behind.  I don't think it's particularly arguable that there are marginal seats that the Lib Dems have a much better chance of winning than Labour: Cheltenham, Richmond Park, Oxford West, Brecon and Radnorshire, St Ives, Lewes, to name a few.  Why split the anti-Tory vote in those cases?

That doesn't mean you can't still hate what they're doing for choosing to put up candidates against strong Labour seats.  It's almost as if the anti-Brexit talk is just a ruse to lie their way into power!!

No chance of it not being a tory majority without tactical voting from both labour and lib dem voters.

thenoise

Lib Dems don't need an election to take seats off the Tories, they just wait for the Conservatives to lurch even further to the reactionary right and hoover up the centrists/remainers/ANYONE.

pancreas

Quote from: New folder on November 11, 2019, 03:29:06 PM
This collection of biting satirical memes I've made will surely win the election:

Stuck em on fb. Keep sending them.

Quote from: thugler on November 11, 2019, 04:34:52 PM
No chance of it not being a tory majority without tactical voting from both labour and lib dem voters.

Yes, of course.  To be honest, the concerning thing are those who are deserting Labour to vote Lib Dem because they "don't trust Corbyn to put Remain on the referendum", or "they won't commit to campaigning for Remain" (as if that makes any difference to anything), or - the best one - "Corbyn's full of shit because he keeps promoting a sensible Brexit and there's no such thing"!.  There seems to be tons of people thinking along these lines, and no amount of trying to explain rationally that they're ultimately just giving the Tories another term in No.10 seems to make any difference.  And I've really tried.

thugler

Agree. Too many people wanting some goldilocks leader that doesn't exist so they can vote labour. Meanwhile the aged vote tory consistently every time. Can't afford to be picky about Corbyn. I'd still be voting labour if they had a boring centrist in charge by the way, though less enthusiastically.

littlefoot

Quote from: thugler on November 11, 2019, 04:34:52 PM

Which is what makes it so depressing that Swinson is in charge in the yellow corner, with her short-sighted declarations.

daf

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 11, 2019, 11:59:08 AM

Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire

olliebean

I'm in a Tory/Labour marginal, so will obviously vote Labour, but the depressing thing for me is that the Lib Dems have been talking up their chances with dodgy poll results, so there's a fairly high chance they will kill any chance of Labour taking the seat off the Tories.

Buelligan

OK, Cheltenham, first on your list - apparently had an electorate of almost 79 thousand voters at the last election, fifty-seven thousand of those voted.  So that's 22 thousand people who stayed at home.  22 thousand potential votes there for the taking.

Labour got 5408 votes (in a seat where Labour expects they cannot win).  How many of the Liberal votes there (24K) were Labour voters thinking they had no choice but to vote LD?  How many Labour voters didn't bother to vote?  Cheltenham isn't all posh, you know, places like Hester's Way and Benhall are not posh at all.  And not all posh people vote tory or LD.

Labour have chosen not to enter a pact with the LDs and other parties, why?  Probably because they want Labour voters to step up and vote for what we believe in so's there is a popular democratic mandate, not a sell-out compromise, for the next government.  I think, as Labour voters, we should respect that and vote Labour.  We have to stop believing we cannot win in places like Cheltenham and start voting for who we believe in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Constituency_profile

Ferris

I mean, Labour's best result in Cheltenham in the last 50 years was the 12% they got in 1979. The turnout is already high (that's a bit over 70% if my mental maths is any good) and the demographics massively favour the Tories. I think that's the definition of unwinnable.

I get your point, but barring something huge, that seat's a waste of labour resources. It's a shame, but there it is. Lovely part of the world though, spent a lot of my teenage years and early 20s hiking in and around Chelts/Tewkesbury/Glaaaaaster.

Edit: and for clarity, I'm not just arguing for the sake of arguing - I really do see where you're coming from, I'm just a miserable pessimist on this type of thing. Fair play to you for your optimism and hope!

Buelligan

Yes, I too know Cheltenham very well (though perhaps for other reasons).  It's not about wasting resources at all, it would cost Labour nothing if all the people who want to vote Labour in constituencies, like Cheltenham, up and down the country, go out on polling day and vote Labour rather than continuing to prop up the LDs (who continue to enable the tories).   

thugler

Quote from: Buelligan on November 11, 2019, 05:51:12 PM
Yes, I too know Cheltenham very well (though perhaps for other reasons).  It's not about wasting resources at all, it would cost Labour nothing if all the people who want to vote Labour in constituencies, like Cheltenham, up and down the country, go out on polling day and vote Labour rather than continuing to prop up the LDs (who continue to enable the tories).

They have a lot to lose. Like the election to the tories.. competing with the lib dems there just hands it to them.

You're being too idealistic I'm afraid. What would it take for you to vote tactically somewhere like this? Labour on 0% of the vote?