Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me identify a film

Started by Ferris, November 07, 2019, 10:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Apocalypse is happening in the background, the film follows a group of survivors inside the house. I want to say it was gas? Or something? I remember the film being very yellow.

Fairly recent, last 5-10 years definitely. One of the survivors plays a version of Blister in the Sun on a guitar towards the end. May have starred Steve Carrell but I couldn't find anything in his filmography that jived.

Played as a dark comedy, I have a feeling they drink a lot and take prescription drugs for one of the evenings in a kind of "why not" mentality. It is driving me nuts not being able to think of it.

Dex Sawash

This is the end? Haven't seen it, really just wanted to make a Left Behind joke

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 07, 2019, 10:30:47 PM
This is the end? Haven't seen it, really just wanted to make a Left Behind joke

No, but there's load of these fucking apocalypse films about, isn't there?

This one is played a bit more serious than you'd expect

Bad Ambassador

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World?

Ferris

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 07, 2019, 10:39:37 PM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World?

No, that's the bastard that keeps messing up my googling. Haven't seen that, but it seems like more of a road film. This one is just some middle class people in a house.

chocolate teapot

I have it on good authority the film you're after is called It's A Disaster.

Ferris

Quote from: chocolate teapot on November 08, 2019, 12:15:04 AM
I have it on good authority the film you're after is called It's A Disaster.

That's the one! I remember being suckered into it because it had David Cross, and that's usually a good sign.

Thanks!

Famous Mortimer

Okay, here's half a memory. Reading about "Free Guy", I sort of half remembered a movie from the VHS days, about a couple of guys who became aware they were characters in a computer game. I read about it, I think, about a month ago after I watched something with one of the people from that movie in it, but I don't remember what, or what connection they had. I thought "I'd best write that down" then forgot to do so.

So. Characters become aware they're in a game. It's a b-movie, no big stars in it that I recall. Anyone help?

Blumf

There was a short with Emily Booth, called Inferno, that has a premise in that area. But I don't think that's what you're after:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308407/

Jim Bob

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 09, 2019, 11:54:57 PM
Okay, here's half a memory. Reading about "Free Guy", I sort of half remembered a movie from the VHS days, about a couple of guys who became aware they were characters in a computer game. I read about it, I think, about a month ago after I watched something with one of the people from that movie in it, but I don't remember what, or what connection they had. I thought "I'd best write that down" then forgot to do so.

So. Characters become aware they're in a game. It's a b-movie, no big stars in it that I recall. Anyone help?

I'm not sure what this could be.  The only thing which I can think of that sort of matches what you're describing would be David Cronenberg's Existenz, but it's probably not that.

Either way, you'd think there would be a lot more films with that basic premise.  Kinda odd that there's not.  I suppose Wreck-It-Ralph also counts, as do the new Jumanji movies to a certain degree.  Oh, and there was the bit in one of the latter Nightmare on Elm Street movies, where Freddy controls one of his victims in a videogame, but I'm struggling to think of any other examples.

momatt

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 09, 2019, 11:54:57 PM
Okay, here's half a memory. Reading about "Free Guy", I sort of half remembered a movie from the VHS days, about a couple of guys who became aware they were characters in a computer game.

Tron.  Or maybe Tron 2.
Did anyone see that movie Tron?

No.

Famous Mortimer

I completely got myself confused. It was "Virtually Heroes", from 2013, and the reason I noticed it is I watched "Death Race 2050" from the same director. Mark Hamill pops up in it, too.

From re-reading the description, it looks sort of sucky too. Ah well.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2019, 02:27:18 PM
I completely got myself confused. It was "Virtually Heroes", from 2013, and the reason I noticed it is I watched "Death Race 2050" from the same director. Mark Hamill pops up in it, too.

Well, no wonder I couldn't help identify it.  I mean just look at the state of it.  Yeesh.

Norton Canes

OK, here's one. I remember it from being on telly in I guess the late 80's or so. Probably Channel 4, as you will no doubt agree as you read on.

A man is walking around an upper storey of a derelict building. All a bit grim and dingy, possibly Eastern European? Can't recall whether there were subtitles. Perhaps it was Nottingham. Anyway, as he stands by one of the windows a woman climbs through (presumably she's on some scaffolding) and they... look, this is the reason I remember it - they do a sex. And as they do someone must have started up a demolition crane because the building begins to collapse around them.

BlodwynPig

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2019, 03:56:44 PM
OK, here's one. I remember it from being on telly in I guess the late 80's or so. Probably Channel 4, as you will no doubt agree as you read on.

A man is walking around an upper storey of a derelict building. All a bit grim and dingy, possibly Eastern European? Can't recall whether there were subtitles. Perhaps it was Nottingham. Anyway, as he stands by one of the windows a woman climbs through (presumably she's on some scaffolding) and they... look, this is the reason I remember it - they do a sex. And as they do someone must have started up a demolition crane because the building begins to collapse around them.

Themroc, shurely?

Norton Canes

Perhaps... had a look at the clips I could find at YT, couldn't see that particular bit. Must say, from the way I picture it, it didn't seem like an early 70's film.

Ambient Sheep

Fair enough. :-)

You're probably right, as in Themroc it's more the entire side of the building rather than a window, and come to think of it it's a fireman that climbs a ladder and gets dragged in by a woman for the sex, not the other way round.  Although I haven't seen it in 30 years or more.

Channel 4 showed it as part of their infamous Special Discretion Required (Red Triangle) season back in the 80s, which is one reason it came to mind.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 11, 2019, 04:50:54 PM
You're probably right, as in Themroc it's more the entire side of the building rather than a window, and come to think of it it's a fireman that climbs a ladder and gets dragged in by a woman for the sex, not the other way round.  Although I haven't seen it in 30 years or more.

Nah.  Pretty sure that's Confessions of a Fireman, mate.

Famous Mortimer

I can share the entire movie with any of you who are interested in seeing it. Also semi-remade as "Aaaarrgh", with Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt in it, apparently.

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2019, 03:56:44 PM

That sounds a bit like 'Rude Awakening' (Episode 3 of the great 'Hammer House Of Horror' series).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gi8ud         (The bit in question starts at 30 mins).

EDIT - there's no actual sex involved, but maybe you're mind's fused it together with something else?  Happens to me all the time.

SteK

There was one I saw, I think it was part of a Hammer Horror TV thing or some other similar thing.

Was this mirror in an old house, present day (then) and the guy was looking in it and on certain occasions could see the reflection of the room except when he did, it either wasn't the same room, or was the same room from like centuries ago. In the mirror was this bloke dressed in 16th or 17th century clothing with wigs etc, sure he limped, but he'd wander off from the scope of the mirror and the present guy couldn't see him, which irked him.

I'm sure the actor in the mirror was the same bloke who did the Barratt Homes ads in a helicopter in the 70's, Patrick somebody I think.

If it's not real and I made it up I must have a cracking imagination and must develop it and see it Hollywood and live in luxury with floozies....

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SteK on December 17, 2019, 10:42:40 PM
There was one I saw, I think it was part of a Hammer Horror TV thing or some other similar thing.

Was this mirror in an old house, present day (then) and the guy was looking in it and on certain occasions could see the reflection of the room except when he did, it either wasn't the same room, or was the same room from like centuries ago. In the mirror was this bloke dressed in 16th or 17th century clothing with wigs etc, sure he limped, but he'd wander off from the scope of the mirror and the present guy couldn't see him, which irked him.

I'm sure the actor in the mirror was the same bloke who did the Barratt Homes ads in a helicopter in the 70's, Patrick somebody I think.

If it's not real and I made it up I must have a cracking imagination and must develop it and see it Hollywood and live in luxury with floozies....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_House_of_Horror

Episode 10, "Guardian of the Abyss"?

SteK

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 17, 2019, 10:53:02 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_House_of_Horror

Episode 10, "Guardian of the Abyss"?

Good shout, but it's not that...

The one I remember was darker, and the house was older, creepier. Thanks though, I'd forgotten how much Rosemary Landor could give me the horn, I think she was in the Renault 25 ad about the same time, where the guy got the backing, going it alone blah, blah, but dropped the bombshell saying the company car had to go and she's all 'Darling, don't you think you're being a little too hasty?'

Only a fecking Renault, my boss had one at the time, he was MD, it was one of the the first talking cars. Annoying as fuck actually - 'Handbrake on', 'Handbrake off'.......

Oooh, she's so much nicer than my wife....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpS1W2BIz4

Famous Mortimer

Your man was Patrick Allen, and he appeared in many of those anthology shows - "Time For Murder", "Sign It Death", "Scorpion Tales", "ITV Sunday Night Theatre", "Journey To The Unknown", and "The Wednesday Play", among many others. I don't think it's any of those, but going before the mid 60s and they stop having episode descriptions. Hopefully this will set you in the right direction, though.