Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why Women Kill

Started by Mister Six, November 08, 2019, 04:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Mrs Six and I just got done watching this comedy-drama by Marc Cherry, creator of Desperate Housewives, and -- DAMMIT KEEP READING -- it is excellent. An all-B-star cast (Lucy Liu, Jack Davenport, Alexandria Daddario, Dan from Veep - and more!), dialogue that positively sparkles (particularly when Liu and Davenport - playing a catty 80s power couple - are onscreen), some nice visual flourishes and a ton of twists make it irresistible.

The series dances between three stories of love gone sour - a 1960s housewife with an overbearing husband; a 1980s queen bitch whose husband hides a troublesome secret, and a couple in 2019 whose open marriage is about to go horribly wrong - building up to the titular killings. But who will the killeees be, and who will be doing the killering?

To go into much more detail would spoil the thing, but even I - someone who doesn't usually watch this kind of thing - was impressed by the deft balance of comedy and drama, and impressed with the genuine sweetness and warmth that creeps in around the sharp putdowns and icy glares. There's also an enormous amount of heart, with even the most ghastly of characters being given moments of vulnerability and humanity.

Seriously, give it a crack. It's only 10 episodes, so not too much of a time sink.

Mister Six

Erm. CBS.

In the UK? No idea. Pirate Bay?

phantom_power

Don't forget the now obligatory Kirby Howell-Baptiste

Mister Six

I hope her agent is getting a fortune. They're certainly working for it.

phantom_power

She does seem to be in lots of good things at the moment. But then she is really good in them (Aussie accent notwithstanding) so fair enough I say