Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glenn Greenwald gets Thumped by Right-Wing Brazilian Columnist

Started by Blumf, November 08, 2019, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Exactly what it says in the title:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/07/glenn-greenwald-brazil-augusto-nunes-radio-show
QuoteBrazil's bitterly divided politics reached a new low on Thursday, when a rightwing columnist smacked the US journalist Glenn Greenwald in the face on a live radio program.

Greenwald and Augusto Nunes are prominent figures on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but Thursday's physical violence – which was being livestreamed – left Brazilians stunned.

Greenwald has become a central figure in Brazilian politics after publishing a string of articles challenging the legitimacy of the country's largest-ever corruption investigation.

Clip here.
https://twitter.com/GeorgMarques/status/1192468959582466056

Bit of background here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Greenwald#2019_Operation_Car_Wash_Telegram_chat_leaks_in_Brazil

That Brazilian right-wing government, eh? Great bunch of lads.

Cardenio I

Any Portuguese speakers know what Greenwood is calling him (in that broad ass American accent)? "Você é um..."

Twit 2

sponk

Horrible. I wonder if Sam Harris will condemn this as sincerely as he condemned those milkshaking incidents recently. Probably not.

honeychile

Quote from: Cardenio I on November 08, 2019, 06:01:28 PM
Any Portuguese speakers know what Greenwood is calling him (in that broad ass American accent)? "Você é um..."

"Covarde" meaning coward.

That's what happens if you celebrate punching that Nazi cunt. I wish they were all dead but if you don't hold the higher ground, you're fucked. These cunts will always go lower.

Cuellar

PlanktonSideburns

i put cups back in the cupboard this evening with more force

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 08, 2019, 07:25:53 PM
That's what happens if you celebrate punching that Nazi cunt.

If only some people on twitter hadn't enjoyed an American Nazi getting punched, then this Brazilian bloke wouldn't have lost his temper years later. So sad.

Not quite, brains. It's not causal. My point is that the moral ground is forfeit. Any criticism of this behaviour can be dismissed as hypocrisy.

Zetetic

Urinal Cake

Greenwald took a hit but Lula's free for now.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/08/lula-brazil-released-prison-supreme-court-ruling

Sucker punching a Nazi cunt is not the same as getting frustrated during a debate and hitting out at a left-wing cunt.

bgmnts

Dropping the bomb on Nagasaki is not the same as invading Poland!

Funcrusher

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 08, 2019, 11:04:38 PM

Sucker punching a Nazi cunt is not the same as getting frustrated during a debate and hitting out at a left-wing cunt.

It basically is the same.

Urinal Cake

In any case the response from the left-side of politics was better in both cases.

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 08, 2019, 08:51:24 PM
Not quite, brains. It's not causal. My point is that the moral ground is forfeit. Any criticism of this behaviour can be dismissed as hypocrisy.

What, like we're all one person on each "side"?  Everyone on the Right, responsible (in some way) for killing Heather Heyer at Charlottesville, everyone on the Left got rid of the poor kulaks and that sweet, sweet, moral ground off on holiday with a prostitute.

FWIW, I'd let Greenwald take one for the team five, six, times if it means I can keep my memories.  I got no morals though, ground or airborne.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 08, 2019, 10:27:18 PM
Who cares?

People who want to demonstrate why they are better people than the extreme right. TBC is bang on.

I will put your glib attempt above to misrepresent the claim of cause and effect down to performative stupidity rather than actual stupidity.

Buelligan

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 09, 2019, 08:04:16 AM
People who want to demonstrate why they are better people than the extreme right.

I don't think this generally involves a complete disavowal of physical force, assuming that the demonstrating is to the middling sort rather than convincing nazi-types that you, I and the rest are opposed to violence in general.

Mostly people can differentiate between the reversion to violence to avoid debate or trying to force your ideology on others or the exercise of prejudice through violence, and self-defence or responding to deliberate offensive provocation. I'm hoping not to ever punch anyone and I can recognise that.

The only group I can think of where complete disavowal of violence worked in their favour in their long-term is the Quakers(although I suspect other religious sects might show a similar history) - and that's specifically related to not being threatening to the church-state (rather than a democratically-empowered population), and was a fairly close-run thing.

It always hard to escape thinking about the Civil Rights Movement in '50s-'60s USA here (but of course the scale and mainstream-ness of what they were opposing was vastly different).

Zetetic

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 09, 2019, 08:04:16 AM
People who want to demonstrate why they are better people than the extreme right. TBC is bang on.

I will put your glib attempt above to misrepresent the claim of cause and effect down to performative stupidity rather than actual stupidity.

That's very big of you. I guess I'm too stupid to see the connection between Glenn Greenwald and some other people online who laughed at a Nazi getting punched. Oh, they're all on "the left" are they? Well then I guess TBC is right; they've really let the side down, those people in 2017, and no one on the left can say any hitting someone is bad from now on. It's a shame, because the left was never accused of hypocrisy before that. An unblemished record since 1789, ruined by people posting gifs on twitter.

Buelligan

We all have dirty hands.

But on the brighter side, given that we're already damned (thanks Pepe), why not make the most of it?

I like to think that, if I were Greenwald, I would've broken the fellow's nose and jumped on his bollocks.  After all, what stops a far-right bully with punch?  A milquetoast happy to kick him hard in the balls and spoil his pretty face.  I think it would've played with the audience, really do, everyone's looking for strong leaders these days.