Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Polanski metooed, once again

Started by chveik, November 08, 2019, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

https://www.france24.com/en/20191108-frenchwoman-accuses-polanski-of-raping-her-as-a-teen

A Frenchwoman on Friday accused Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski, whose new film on the persecution of French Jewish army officer Alfred Dreyfus premieres next week, of raping her in a Swiss ski resort when she was a teenager.

It is the latest accusation against the Polish-born director who fled to France in 1978 from the US after admitting the statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl.

The 86-year-old has been a fugitive ever since from the US justice system, despite repeated attempts to have him extradited.

Valentine Monnier told Le Parisien newspaper that the alleged rape occurred in 1975 when she was 18 at Polanski's chalet in Gstaad.

"I had no links with him, neither personal nor professional, and hardly knew him," Monnier, a former model who worked in New York, said.

She said the alleged rape was "extremely violent", adding: "He pummelled me until I gave in and then raped me, making me do all sorts of things."

Monnier, who acted in a few films in the 1980s, said she had finally decided to speak out as Polanski's new film about an error of justice was due to come out.

Following the Harvey Weinstein scandal Monnier said she had written letters about the alleged rape to Los Angeles police and to French first lady Brigitte Macron.

Polanski's lawyer Herve Temime said the director "firmly denies all accusations of rape," adding that the allegations "which date back 45 years have never been reported to judicial authorities".

Polanski has also been accused of sexual assault by others. In 2010, British actress Charlotte Lewis accused him of "sexually abusing" her in 1983 when she was 16.

Another woman, identified only as Robin, accused him in August 2017 of sexual assault when she was 16 in 1973.

In September 2017, former actress Renate Langer filed a new complaint alleging she had been raped by Polanski in 1972 when she was 15.

Polanski's lawyer said all three allegations were baseless.

Cuellar

bgmnts

Wouldn't the Swiss police need to deal with this, rather than Los Angeles police?

Twed

I just assumed he'd been #metoo-ed by default

How do you be a film producer/director with a name like "Roman Polanski" and not be a rapist? Just not possible.

chveik

Funcrusher

Really gone off him after reading this.

Sebastian Cobb

I think he should be cancelled personally.

PlanktonSideburns

Another example of the crippling, life ending power of allegations of sexual assault on men

Sebastian Cobb

Nah but it's funny how you'd go to the cinema and see booming trailers from 'THE LATEST FILM FROM ROMAN POLANSKI' despite everyone who knew who roman polanski was knowing he fled from the us as a rapist, back in the 70's as if that was a normal thing up until #metoo.

Three strikes would have solved this years ago.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 09, 2019, 03:03:52 AM
Three strikes would have solved this years ago.

I would have one-striked him to fuck to be fair

Quote from: chveik on November 08, 2019, 10:30:44 PM
and ten years ago: https://www.indiewire.com/2009/09/over-100-in-film-community-sign-polanski-petition-55821/

oh boy, they must be quite red in the face!

Setting aside these latest allegations, it is somewhat ridiculous that bloodthirsty prosecutors have not dropped the original charges against him after 30+ years. He already pled guilty and served time and the victim has always recommended against additional jail time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Twed on November 08, 2019, 10:24:39 PM
How do you be a film producer/director with a name like "Roman Polanski" and not be a rapist? Just not possible.

You eat many energy bars, every day

Quote from: chveik on November 08, 2019, 10:30:44 PM
and ten years ago: https://www.indiewire.com/2009/09/over-100-in-film-community-sign-polanski-petition-55821/

oh boy, they must be quite red in the face!

No signatures from Godard, Chabrol, Rivette, Rohmer, Varda, Resnais, Marker. Among so many French cinema luminaries, the New Wave sat this one out for some reason (unless you count the hack Lelouch as new wave, which I don't). Polanski must not have ingratiated himself with that crowd, despite being contemporaries

PlanktonSideburns

Sin Agog

This doesn't deserve its own thread, but what do you all think about Jeff Goldblum saying he'd happily work with Woody Allen? "Innocent until proven guilty."

https://bit.ly/2robkgF

jobotic

I think he's an idiot. It's "presumed innocent until proven guilty". If you're proven guilty you weren't innocent.

I am the first person to have said this.

phantom_power

That petition is weird, like film festivals are some sort of neutral ground where people are free from being arrested, like the hotel in John Wick. They don't seem to comment on his crimes, innocence or guilt, just that it shouldn't have happened when he was on his way to a festival. Film people are fucking weird

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2019, 11:55:51 AM
I think he's an idiot. It's "presumed innocent until proven guilty". If you're proven guilty you weren't innocent.

I am the first person to have said this.

Bit that was a different child he drugged and raped.

I think,I'm having trouble keeping track of how many children he's anally fucked while they were begging him not too.

I'm not a great fan of Roman Polanski to be honest.

My mistake you were talking about Woody Allen, that's a whole different ball of wax, lolz!

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 09, 2019, 12:20:56 PM
I'm having trouble keeping track of how many children he's anally fucked while they were begging him not too.

First world problems.

Blumf

Getting tired of these lazy Hollywood remakes.

sponk

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 09, 2019, 04:53:57 AM
No signatures from Godard, Chabrol, Rivette, Rohmer, Varda, Resnais, Marker. Among so many French cinema luminaries, the New Wave sat this one out for some reason (unless you count the hack Lelouch as new wave, which I don't). Polanski must not have ingratiated himself with that crowd, despite being contemporaries

Would they really be signing the letter based on whether they liked him as a person?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 09, 2019, 11:52:26 AM
This doesn't deserve its own thread, but what do you all think about Jeff Goldblum saying he'd happily work with Woody Allen? "Innocent until proven guilty."

https://bit.ly/2robkgF

It's discussed in a fair bit of detail here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,76155.120.html

Quote from: sponk on November 09, 2019, 01:40:15 PM
Would they really be signing the letter based on whether they liked him as a person?

Absolutely, Polanski was very much a beloved socialite and that accounts for much of the support he gets from peers who should really know better. They miss seeing him at parties

"They should know better" than to sign a petition against police overreach?

Fairly sure the petition didn't say "Polanski did nothing wrong!"

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 09, 2019, 03:03:35 PM

Well, I wasn't only referring to the petition there. Many of them have been vocal supporters of him since before the film festival incident

sponk

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 09, 2019, 03:03:35 PM

Did it say he did anything wrong?