Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You? Series 13

Started by olliebean, November 08, 2019, 10:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Been going a few weeks now, but no thread that I can see. Tonights with Greg Davies was a good one. Anyway, anyone know when the Bob Mortimer one is this year?

Guest list here, btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/WILTY/comments/bkygaw/series_13_recordings/ - that's not the order they're being aired in, though.

lankyguy95

I've got bored of it now. I'll probably watch tonight's now I know Greg Davies was on.

The Lurker

SteveDave

Another reason to hate politicians.

olliebean

Fucksake. That's me done with this fucking election.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This is unacceptable.

Still, the very fact that Bob Mortimer being bumped from television is, quite rightly, regarded as newsworthy sort of makes me happy. A national disgrace.

rasta-spouse

So instead of a show going out where people might be lying to you, there's a show going out where they're definitely lying to you! Cuh, come on Auntie!!

Last night's Christmas special was an all-time low for this show. Stephen Merchant was good fun (even though one of his truths was an anecdote he's told many times before), but Dr Ranj was completely edited out, Liz Bonnin's lie was so boring it was never going to be true, and a confused Sharon Osborne's truth was genuinely unpleasant. David Mitchell was visibly fed up with her at one point.

Its time to bin this off unless they make sure at least three of the four guests are comedians. But then again, even Bob Mortimer's appearance this series felt formulaic.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2019, 04:16:54 PM
Last night's Christmas special was an all-time low for this show. Stephen Merchant was good fun (even though one of his truths was an anecdote he's told before on many a chat show), but Dr Ranj was completely edited out, Liz Bonnin's lie was so boring it was never going to be true, and a confused Sharon Osborne's truth was genuinely unpleasant. David Mitchell was visibly fed up with her at one point.

Its time to bin this off unless they make sure at least three of the four guests are comedians. But then again, even Bob Mortimer's appearance this series felt formulaic.
Are they using fewer comedians than before? It certainly feels like it, and it's certainly the worse for it.

non capisco

I suppose Sharon Osbourne's true story about bullying one of her staff into going into a burning house to rescue her expensive paintings and then sacking them when they 'didn't see the funny side', met with laughter by the audience and indulgence from the panel, tells you all you need to know about 2019.

EDIT: Already been said, but still...

kidsick5000

When you have pretend that you've not heard Stephen Merchant's tallness anecdote, it feels like it's at the end. Even the Bob Mortimer story felt like an overstrained formula.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2019, 04:16:54 PM
Last night's Christmas special was an all-time low for this show. Stephen Merchant was good fun (even though one of his truths was an anecdote he's told before on many a chat show), but Dr Ranj was completely edited out, Liz Bonnin's lie was so boring it was never going to be true, and a confused Sharon Osborne's truth was genuinely unpleasant. David Mitchell was visibly fed up with her at one point.

In general I agree with you, the show has been pretty shitty this most recent series (and the one before that too) but I didn't mind the Christmas Special because Merchant's story was fun (and not one I'd heard before) and Sharon Osbourne proving herself to be an utter, utter cunt amused, and now I don't have to feel guilty about thinking her to be a complete shit anymore too.

I agree with you about Bob's appearance as well, having to wait right until the end for his bit was annoying as well, I know the "Quick Fire Lie" tend to be the same length as the normal ones but I'd have probably turned it off if he had his bit at the beginning.

lankyguy95

You know full well it'll still be going in twenty years time, with guest hosts each week. Every week the guest host will have their own ten minute round in the middle. Once every few years there'll be a mildly amusing guest host and Lee Mack will claim in an interview with the Radio Times that the new format has "reinvigorated" the show.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 27, 2019, 08:01:58 PM
You know full well it'll still be going in twenty years time, with guest hosts each week. Every week the guest host will have their own ten minute round in the middle. Once every few years there'll be a mildly amusing guest host and Lee Mack will claim in an interview with the Radio Times that the new format has "reinvigorated" the show.

Former 'They Think It's All Over' host Lee Mack?

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 27, 2019, 07:03:31 PM
Are they using fewer comedians than before? It certainly feels like it, and it's certainly the worse for it.

A quick glance at Wikipedia suggests so - earlier series tended to have two or three comedians alongside the captains, whereas on this series we get one (and they're often a comedy actor, rather than a standup). That said, there's an episode coming up with Jo Brand, Kiri Pritchard-McLean, Simon Day and Henning Wehn - which could be a belter.

Despite me saying up there that it's time to bin it off, it could easily be reinvigorated by having the right guests.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

lankyguy95

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 27, 2019, 08:12:30 PM
Former 'They Think It's All Over' host Lee Mack?
I'd somehow managed to forget that.

DrGreggles

I haven't watched an episode in a while, but saw Bob Mortimer's Chris Rea/egg/bath story for the first time.
https://youtu.be/Yfawvs5PouA
It's glorious.

That it seems to break David Mitchell just makes it even better.

C_Larence

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2019, 08:25:42 PM
That said, there's an episode coming up with Jo Brand, Kiri Pritchard-McLean, Simon Day and Henning Wehn - which could be a belter..

Desolation

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: olliebean on December 27, 2019, 10:29:07 PM
Either that or she's just very very stupid.
Another person who's never had to face someone who wasn't kissing their arse in far too fucking long.

jsgibble

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 27, 2019, 04:16:54 PMIts time to bin this off unless they make sure at least three of the four guests are comedians. But then again, even Bob Mortimer's appearance this series felt formulaic.

Can't say I agree there. You only need look at the bloated, just generally awful likes of QI or Mock The Week to see how having a panel full of comedians can be.

A good mix usually creates a better atmosphere, and that's what WILTY does more often than not in my view

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jsgibble on December 27, 2019, 10:47:57 PM
Can't say I agree there. You only need look at the bloated, just generally awful likes of QI or Mock The Week to see how having a panel full of comedians can be.

A good mix usually creates a better atmosphere, and that's what WILTY does more often than not in my view
I disagree with your disagreement. Mock The Week might as well be called "shout a bit of my standup over everyone else trying to shout their standup" and QI is just smug twats and idiots. WILTY? is a perfect show for comedians.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That 'un who looked like a young, suntanned Bjork was *massively* boring.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 27, 2019, 07:50:19 PMSharon Osbourne proving herself to be an utter, utter cunt

It just doesn't make sense. Her dad was lovely.

machotrouts

Just finished catching up on this. We always let things fester on the Virgin box for a bit in case there's a pandemic coming, and WHADDAYA know.

Fuck if I know why the hardest I've ever laughed at this show has come at the end of a second "unseen bits" episode of its 13th series, but unexpectedly fully sent by Lee Mack's chipped roast chicken pot. Helpless at the last minute with the
Spoiler alert
dinosaur wife
[close]

"Fuck if I know why"... that's the kind of quality analysis you come to a comedy forum for