Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things Bently Sheds watched so you don't have to

Started by Bently Sheds, November 09, 2019, 08:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Swamp Thing - Amazon prime
Atmospheric but desperately, earnestly plodding adaptation of the DC comic book. Swamp Thing just trudges around in American ponds looking like a green, self-pitying Valtteri Bottas with his love interest trailing behind him muttering "I must help him" to whoever's in earshot. Another DC character's origin story is neatly set up and the character appears for one single scene and then disappears.

Living with yourself - Netflix
Who wouldn't love a show with two Paul Rudds!?!??! Riiight!!?!?!? Guys!??!?!? Episodes that don't even stretch to 30 minutes means this doesn't outstay its welcome. It could have been an interesting Utopia/Black Mirror style moody drama, instead it's a light-hearted romp about losing your youthful spark and lying to your wife.

Glitch - Netflix
Australian zombie show where the zombies come back as normal people and don't want to eat brains or just silently leap out at you in a forest out of nowhere when normally they clumsily shamble around going "GRAHHHHUEUEUAURGH!!!" at the tops of their undead voices and god I fucking hate Fear The Walking Dead. The three series seem to go in different directions, but the third competently wraps the often confusing story up. Interesting, but seems to meander and drag a bit despite the series being around 6 episodes each. Nice to see a bit of Aussie drama, though.

Colony - supplied by my corrupt uncle
Aliens invade Earth, wall off the cities, force people to work in mega factories, take anonymous office dweebs and make them Very Important People In Charge of All The Other Humans. It's an allegory of France in WWII, apparently. Sawyer from Lost is the hero. Three series of varying quality. Neat special effects. Wayne Brady's acting in Series three veers in quality between Beech, Larch and Poplar. Ends on a cliffhanger and is then cancelled. Worth it if you need something to watch and there's nothing else on.

That's it so far. Anyone seen these shows?

Icehaven

I watched Living With Yourself and enjoyed it despite being a bit unsure, given (as you also noted) the length of the episodes, why it wasn't just a film, until it was pointed out to me that there's going to be at least another series.

I'm undecided on how relatively accepting some of the reactions to human cloning suddenly being a reality are too. On the one hand I suppose it's probably not unrealistic that after the initial shock you'd still have to get on with your life (the wife is as bothered about him not telling her and spending the money as with there now being two of him, and at least she didn't bloody faint), but then as a TV show it's in danger of underplaying its main concept if in their world him being cloned is just something that happened to them.