Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:46:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck Off Liz Kershaw.

Started by Camp Tramp, November 09, 2019, 03:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 10, 2019, 06:14:00 PM
Back in the glory days of Danny Baker's 3pm show on BBC London I used to dread catching the end of Robert Elms. Boring professional Londoner shite. He'd actually have a bloke phone in regularly to discuss bus routes.

It was even worse when was in the Breakfast slot, as there was a risk you would ending catching some of Jon Gaunt afterwards if you couldn't switch off the radio quick enough.

Quote from: wosl on November 10, 2019, 09:36:15 PM
I register my dislike on this thread page and this thread page, although I don't elaborate beyond saying I don't like his voice, it's true.  Take it that it's its whiny-cum-sneery rasp.  Why did you want a link?!

Thanks. I asked because the search engine doesn't work for me.

wosl

Sometimes you get sick of hearing yourself say the same things about the same subjects, which is probably why I didn't bother with comments for the singers.  Sorry if that came across as offhandedly arrogant (mind you, the comments I did bother with could come across that way as well).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 09, 2019, 07:31:13 PM
Listening to Lauren Laverne is like having a shit filled nappy attached to the grill of a car and driven into my face at full speed.

Is it?

jobotic

Norton Canes

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 09, 2019, 07:53:56 PM
At the risk of this turning into a 6 Music thread, I've been perplexed by how much I dislike Lauren Laverne at breakfast.  The mid-morning show was fine, quite good even.  It doesn't work early doors for some reason.  And that's replacing the atrocious Shaun Keaveney who had been treading water for many years.  Says something that I'd rather wake up to Today

Agree with this completely. Could she be any more vexing?

As I always say when people bring up Maconie, he's great on The Freak Zone.

I'm guessing he actually does some research for the Freak Zone that's not just a quick skim of Wiki 5 minutes before broadcast.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 11, 2019, 11:33:03 AM
theres only one way to find out

There is no way on earth I'm going to listen to Lauren Laverne.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 11, 2019, 08:32:07 AM
Is it?

Yes obviously. When the fuck have I ever exaggerated or used hyperbole on here? Use your noggin mate

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 10, 2019, 06:14:00 PM
Back in the glory days of Danny Baker's 3pm show on BBC London I used to dread catching the end of Robert Elms. Boring professional Londoner shite. He'd actually have a bloke phone in regularly to discuss bus routes.

I liked that bit

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 10, 2019, 05:58:37 PM
That's a low blow. It's well documented that Townshend was naive and fucked up but he's hardly comparable to DLT.
How many minutes was the book he was "researching" available to purchase?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 11, 2019, 04:25:53 PM
How many minutes was the book he was "researching" available to purchase?

His book Who Am I? came out in 2012.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 11, 2019, 04:34:37 PM
His book Who Am I? came out in 2012.
It's "Who I Am", and I was referring to the original story at the time, which was he was researching a novel, that I thought I remembered was available to buy from his website for about five minutes. Having had a quick look, I can find no reference to this book anywhere, which indicates either I'm wrong or the internet has been scrubbed of all reference to it (probably the former). But:

QuoteTownshend initially claimed that he accessed the images as research in a campaign against child sexual abuse;[137] in 2012, he wrote in his autobiography, Who I Am, that he had accessed the illegal images to prove that British banks were complicit in channelling the profits from pedophile rings.[138]

You say "naive", I say "a liar".

Brundle-Fly

Townshend told the police beforehand he was going to download some dodgy stuff so he could say he'd actually seen it for "research". They found no other evidence on his laptop other than the video he paid to watch with his credit card. He didn't keep the video either on his hard drive. I'm not particularly a massive Who fan or anything but I do believe him.  Let's say it was research for a novel, you can't imagine you'd want to plow on with that project after all that he went through.

McChesney Duntz

I won't hear a word said against Marc Riley or Gideon Coe. That is all.

Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Show is great too. He plays funk. He plays soul. There is nothing to dislike about it.

The listeners who text in with shite like "Grooving 'round the kitchen to James Brown while rinsing a salad!" can fuck off, though. But that's not Craig's fault.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 11, 2019, 07:14:07 PM
Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Show is great too. He plays funk. He plays soul. There is nothing to dislike about it.

The listeners who text in with shite like "Grooving 'round the kitchen to James Brown while rinsing a salad!" can fuck off, though. But that's not Craig's fault.

You forgot to add "grinning like a loon". It always seems to be teachers too.

Oh God, yes. "Haven't heard this bad boy in years!!"

Mate, if you love funk and soul so much, you could've fired it up on Spotify at the very least. It's all there.

Brundle-Fly

"I can't believe I'm hearing (INSERT FAIRLY OBVIOUS FUNK TRACK HERE) on 6Music. Choon!"

Oh, I'm being a miserable beggar.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 11, 2019, 07:39:09 PM
"I can't believe I'm hearing (INSERT FAIRLY OBVIOUS FUNK TRACK HERE) on 6Music. Choon!"

Unless you're Craig's producer you're the one assuming they're spelling it "choon" so the joke is deffo on you there.

Brundle-Fly

I will be consulting my lawyer, Nags.

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on November 10, 2019, 06:15:44 PM
I still really enjoy Radcliffe and Maconie and was quite put out when they were moved to the semi-graveyard spot of early weekend mornings. I'm well aware of Stuart's reciting of Wikipedia articles he has just read as if he is an expert, but it doesn't bug me. I just think they are pleasant chaps with taste in music and a sense of humour I appreciate.

Yes, I still quite enjoyed RadMac, apart from too many boring conversations with listeners phoning in.  The features were a bit tired, but at least they would throw up unexpected and seldom-heard stuff from time to time.  Lammo seems like an amiable enough sort, but surely he should've been the one to move on if they were looking to freshen things up.  He could still have done the round table thing, which can be sporadically entertaining depending on the guests.

They could at least have given RadMac the Kershaw slot on a Saturday and fucked Kershaw off to 5am every second Tuesday or something. 

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 11, 2019, 08:16:27 PM
Lammo seems like an amiable enough sort

The world's most devastatingly boring broadcaster. Yes, a nice man, probably, but it's like listening to a somehow sentient Ned's Atomic Dustbin t-shirt droning on and endlessly on about a great gig it once witnessed at the Camden Cask and Arsehole in 1991.

His matey yet humourless voice reeks of cheap cider in a thin plastic cup. He's a Symposium B-side, a forgotten Reading afternoon set, a wet, empty bus.

I'll always be thankful to him and the equally dull Jo Wylie for introducing me to some good stuff on The Evening Session in the mid '90s, but my God, he's the indie dullard's dullard.

daf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 11, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
He's a Symposium B-side,
a forgotten Reading afternoon set,
a wet,
empty bus.

Cole Porter considers rewrite

- - - - - - -
(one for the teenagers!)

idunnosomename

I used to listen to Bruce Dickinson on 6 Music. He played some shite (it was the noughties after all) but he was good fun, and he also did the first incarnation of the Freak Zone.

God though. Nearly everything Adam and Joe played was shit. I loved listening to their show but the music back then was fucking appalling. Fucking Paper Planes.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 11, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
The world's most devastatingly boring broadcaster. Yes, a nice man, probably, but it's like listening to a somehow sentient Ned's Atomic Dustbin t-shirt droning on and endlessly on about a great gig it once witnessed at the Camden Cask and Arsehole in 1991.

His matey yet humourless voice reeks of cheap cider in a thin plastic cup. He's a Symposium B-side, a forgotten Reading afternoon set, a wet, empty bus.

Heheh, funnily enough I once said something similar:

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 08, 2014, 08:25:48 PM
I genuinely find Steve Lamacq to be a fucking insufferable turd of a man who needs taking out to the old barn and shooting in the back of the head. I hate his stupid voice and I hate his bullshit wistful nostalgic John-Peel-for-boring-cunts shtick. Listening to him talking to phone-ins is like being stood in the vague vicinity of two middle-aged blokes at a festival who keep boasting about gigs they went to twenty years ago and you just keep trying to justify standing there by attempting to enjoy the music but you can't do it because their voices are like two very slightly different shades of toilet water in your ears, giving all other immediate sounds a muted, sloshing quality. ABSOLUTE PISS, NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

*stupid fucking whimsical sleazy brass band music on endless shit loop in the background*
"Oho! Today's quirky news story is about a man who kept stealing plywood from the local B&Q! Text in your songs that are a bit like this story in their subject nature!" PLAY "BEEN CAUGHT STEALING" STEVE LOL YOU KNOW CUZ THE LAD WAS STEALING WOOD

Yours is better, that's exactly what he sounds like.

Quote from: daf on November 11, 2019, 08:51:26 PM
Cole Porter considers rewrite

- - - - - - -
(one for the teenagers!)

What is this ditty?
It sounds quite shitty
It's Mega City Foooooour...

kalowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 11, 2019, 07:39:09 PM

Excellent. This is spot on.

"Love it!! Machine Gun in the house. What a find!"

Goldentony

6 Music is fucking worthless, that cunt out The Fall's idea of far out psych rock seems to be fucking Pavement and The Verve