Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck Off Liz Kershaw.

Started by Camp Tramp, November 09, 2019, 03:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

the other one he's mates with aswell, the on with the childs body and head but old mans snooker player hair, the idea that fucking thick bastard is hosting freakier zone, can you imagine

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Goldentony on November 11, 2019, 10:11:55 PM
6 Music is fucking worthless, that cunt out The Fall's idea of far out psych rock seems to be fucking Pavement and The Verve
The preferred term for him from former band-leader Mark E Smith was "floppy mong".

buzby

I quite enjoy Chris Hawkins in the pre-breakfast slot while I'm driving to work, though he does suffer the 6 Music standard 'dancing round the kitchen while preparing vegan packed lunches for my kids' listeners texting in.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Goldentony on November 11, 2019, 10:11:55 PM
6 Music is fucking worthless, that cunt out The Fall's idea of far out psych rock seems to be fucking Pavement and The Verve

I agree. They should be playing either Viking plainsong or men bashing saucepans 24/7, the cunts.

Goldentony

that'd be ace, the shit he usually plays sounds like fucking Kings Of Leon with a delay pedal

Goldentony

I was with a mate in a car coming back from Leeds and accidentally went to Radio 3 and heard what sounded like some mad cunt in his kitchen kicking stuff and it turned out to be Merzbow and it was a fucking laugh, suddenly in the moors in darkness with nobody else on the road and a chicken farmer is on the rado going fucking mental, more of that'd be ace. Hello Marc Riley here, here with that Australian cunt who eats glass. Imagine!

Pauline Walnuts

I wonder if John Peel would have made it to late night Radio 3 rather than radio 6? If he wasn't dead and all?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Goldentony on November 11, 2019, 10:48:10 PM
that'd be ace, the shit he usually plays sounds like fucking Kings Of Leon with a delay pedal

My sarcasm aside, I cant abide 87% of what Riley plays. Gruel.

SteveDave

Gideon Coe is a God amongst men. I have many reasons for this belief.

I think with Radmac it's mainly because I had higher expectations that they would have a discussion after each track that engaged in some critical discussion of its merits rather than just waffle about the name of the band or whether the lead singer is a nice chap. Break down the music for those of us who are hearing that artist for the first time, and don't do it by just reading from a Wiki profile.

jobotic

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 11, 2019, 11:05:54 PM
I wonder if John Peel would have made it to late night Radio 3 rather than radio 6? If he wasn't dead and all?

Does Late Junction still exist with wonderful Verity? If it does I should listen to it.

Mixing It was good too but its long gone.

poodlefaker

It reminds of how in the 80s Peel'd play reggae, hip-hop, Afrobeat, Robert Wyatt, trance, Ivor Cutler ect ect but his Festive 50 was all Wedding Present and House of Love. Loads of 6Music just sounds like those Festive 50s.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 12, 2019, 10:02:03 AM
I think with Radmac it's mainly because I had higher expectations that they would have a discussion after each track that engaged in some critical discussion of its merits rather than just waffle about the name of the band or whether the lead singer is a nice chap. Break down the music for those of us who are hearing that artist for the first time, and don't do it by just reading from a Wiki profile.

Or how about just playing another record and letting us google for it if we care for the songs, instead of being the elder gods handing down the wisdom of the ages in a manner than would make the average Steve Hoffman forumer say 'ok Boomer'.

Just a thought.

Fair point, but I'm just expressing a preference for my chin-stroking tendencies, not laying down a policy that all must agree with.

EOLAN

Quote from: daf on November 09, 2019, 03:49:31 PM
Chart Music Podcast
Weirdly, she has no problem with this fella!

For a brief horrible second; seeing that it was someone on Chart Music Podcast I thought it was Sarah Bee who was set to be cancelled.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on November 12, 2019, 10:32:57 AM
Or how about just playing another record and letting us google for it if we care for the songs, instead of being the elder gods handing down the wisdom of the ages in a manner than would make the average Steve Hoffman forumer say 'ok Boomer'.

Just a thought.

Boomers are the type of people who lap up this crap style of radio hosting though, cheering it on and name dropping Peel in the same breath as though they're anywhere near equatable just because the content is a cut above Radio 1 or Kiss or whatever. Just because it's mildly alternative that doesn't mean it's good.

I'd also argue that the vast majority of 6 Music listeners are not, as you say, going off and googling the artist to find out all they can about them.

I dunno it's just if this forum has demonstrated anything it's that people often struggle to articulate exactly what it is they love about music, so I don't think it's too much to ask that the people championing it and handing it down to us from on high could make a bit of an effort to tell us why a piece of music makes them feel the way they feel or any number of actually interesting facts or anecdotes about it. It's an art form, it's not a Marmaduke comic. It deserves to be discussed and analysed and broken down. People who love music, whether they write about it or just like to listen to it, do enjoy that level of discourse.

Bently Sheds

Radio Two decided it was a great idea to get "Rylan" to sing over the songs they played today all for Children in Need. Fucking atrocious it was.

Liz Kershaw & 6 Music content of this post: nil.

Brundle-Fly

Sorry, what's this "ok boomer" bollocks?  I've looked up the Urban Dictionary definition of 'boomer' and it seems its another risible pre-opting of a term that's already in existence.  Anyone over 30 now? Jesus.

I get it with the John Peel worship on 6Music though. Sure, he did great stuff for alternative music but the orthodoxy of some of the DJs makes me cringe sometimes.

Pauline Walnuts

I don't know, I was only tying to fit in with the cool kids kwel kidz :(

Famous Mortimer

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 13, 2019, 12:16:18 AM
On the off chance you were serious - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ok-boomer

I'm 53, FM. Can't keep up with any of this stuff anymore, I don't connect with this pigeon-holing. Speaking as a Generation X'r, natuarlly.

Bennett Brauer

Raymondo asking Jimmy Young what the recipe is today. Just play some music ffs.

Jimmy Young back from the grave?

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 12, 2019, 10:49:31 PM

I get it with the John Peel worship on 6Music though. Sure, he did great stuff for alternative music but the orthodoxy of some of the DJs makes me cringe sometimes.

His son is a very boring broadcaster.

iamcoop

Quote from: Jockice on November 13, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
His son is a very boring broadcaster.

I don't mind Tom Ravenscroft. When he covers for people like Lauren Laverne his obvious contempt for her terrible features like biorhythms can be quite funny and he often plays quite interesting stuff on his late night slots. Although he isn't the most charismatic of broadcasters admittedly.

Norton Canes

I enjoy listening to Ravenscroft, with his reassuring Suffolk burr. He's satisfyingly laconic.

HAVANAGILA

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 10, 2019, 03:31:15 PM
Gilles Peterson is about the  only 6 Music show I can listen to these days.

Any more love for Gilles Peterson? I only heard his show for the first time 2 years ago, and immediately wondered why it had taken me so long.  Every show is packed with 40 or 50 tracks from all over the world, predominately jazz but with heaps of electronica, hip hop and folk thrown in as well, with very few tracks ever repeated (save for a handful of "best of year" shows).

On the average week I'll hear at least 15 or 20 tracks that grab me, and the number of artists and albums I've discovered as a result* is well into the hundreds. Gilles' enthusiasm for the music always comes across, and the range of music is completely at odds with the indie landfill that colours so much of the station's output.

Ach, it's a wonderful show.

(*some of my favourites: Ishmael Ensemble, Mauskovic Dance Band, Sarathy Korwar, Sarah Tandy, Sons of Kemet and the amazing Mildlife)

poodlefaker

Yeah, as a jazz fan I like the way he just bungs it in with  the rest of the stuff rather than pigeonholing it. I know some people find his delivery a bit cringeworthy, but I like his enthusiasm.

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on November 11, 2019, 09:56:38 PM
Excellent. This is spot on.

"Love it!! Machine Gun in the house. What a find!"

"Here's Superstitious by Stevie Wonder, but it's been remixed by Lack of Afro to sound like a Girl from Impanema karaoke backing track. You're welcome."