Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Thunders

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, November 09, 2019, 06:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Been listening to some Johnny Thunders on shuffle recently, made a 'masters' playlist where I narrowed all the live albums down to just the songs that don't appear on other records, and he's fucking great isn't he? The revelation was a studio album he made in '88 called Copy Cats which is just covers of classic 50s/60s pop oldies and it's BRILLIANT. Check out this version of 'He Cried' with Patti Palladin on lead vocals, it is gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoOl_nBWTVc

Thunders' guitar sound is the quintessential rock 'n' roll guitar for me, sloppy and jagged and stinging and aggressive but strangely warm. The exact meeting point of 50s Chuck Berry and 70s New York attitude. He could be utterly heartbreaking when he wanted to be though, like on this live (definitive) version of 'So Alone': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbdZtDm4uE

Patti Palladin was in a duo called 'Snatch' with Judy Nylon apparently, does anyone know much about them? Seems like there's not a lot of information out there. And do you still listen to Johnny Thunders?

chveik

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 09, 2019, 06:28:42 PM

Patti Palladin was in a duo called 'Snatch' with Judy Nylon apparently, does anyone know much about them? Seems like there's not a lot of information out there.

Snatch were great, although a million miles from Johnny Thunders' stuff - more 'New York No Wave' than rock 'n' roll.  Just about everything they did is on this album, posthumously released in 1983.  Their single 'RAF' was a collaboration with Brian Eno.

kngen

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on November 09, 2019, 06:28:42 PM
Been listening to some Johnny Thunders on shuffle recently, made a 'masters' playlist

Don't suppose it's a Spotify playlist, by any chance?

Love the Heartbreakers and New York Dolls, but never really ventured further, just because there is so much to sift through that varies wildly in quality (recording and otherwise).

The section in Please Kill Me about his death is just so sad and sordid, but rather fitting in a grim way, just like so many geniuses that never really got their due.

poodlefaker

I  like the way "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" is just "Lonely Planet Boy" with different words.