Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:53:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Harry Enfield and/or Paul Whitehouse sketches?

Started by Kryton, November 09, 2019, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Mr Cholmondley-Warner and the 50s infomercials

"I will serve you, but I will not serve you. You are clearly underage"

"Children, Smoke and smoke Kilburns!"

Quote from: Twed on November 10, 2019, 08:57:48 PM
Bit weird to think I probably quoted you all throughout my school years, but now here you are on a forum where I could just call you a big nob.
It's what I would have wanted.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on November 10, 2019, 09:17:15 PM
Mr Cholmondley-Warner and the 50s infomercials

"I will serve you, but I will not serve you. You are clearly underage"

"Children, Smoke and smoke Kilburns!"

"Now then, give us all of your perishing lolly!"

gib

Quote from: sick as a pike on November 10, 2019, 06:18:45 PM
[Shameless, archaic self-promotion] Written by me!!11!!11 etc

Nice one. On the youtube comments someone said it's based on a character Ian Mcshane played in an episode of Minder. Is that true or just youtube comment whimsy?

Utter Shit

Obvious one but I can't see it ignored: Perry coming back from Manchester. Although of course the joy of it is in Kathy Burke's performance.

Quote from: gib on November 10, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Nice one. On the youtube comments someone said it's based on a character Ian Mcshane played in an episode of Minder. Is that true or just youtube comment whimsy?
News to me- unless Harry/Paul/Geoffrey thought he was similar, but not intended by us. I suspect speculative whimsy.

I take my non existent hat off to you sir. Fucking loved Big Bob Joylove

"I get ya, you get a new dress, he gets his winky back"

jsgibble

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 10, 2019, 09:16:48 AM
Or anything from the story of the two's, which you can watch here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x8xzf

Indeed - Harry & Paul itself is an incredibly mixed bag even as sketch shows go, but that special is a work of art

Oh, I getcha.  You drive a hard bargain don'tcha?  I get to watch some top notch sketches, you get praise and *stuffs £50 note into pocket*.  I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

Top work, sick as a pike.

I wonder, what's the CaB perspectives on the 'Nelson Mandela' sketches from 'Harry & Paul'?  My memory of them is both pissing myself at the notion of Nelson Mandela selling Ecstasy Tablets (gets you proper muntered) or his Crack and Smack Party Pack, but also feeling the standard lefty liberal uncomfortableness around a middle aged white man doing blackface (albeit for obvious parody - and Enfield's political credentials were pretty solid, so it wasn't a 'Chalky White' thing).

Quote from: jsgibble on November 10, 2019, 11:49:27 PM
Indeed - Harry & Paul itself is an incredibly mixed bag even as sketch shows go, but that special is a work of art

One of the best TV comedy shows of the decade.  Top notch from start to finish.  The actor Kevin Eldon's take on Paul Jackson also cracked me up, alongside the nonstop excellence of Whitehouse & Enfield

Norton Canes

40,45 years and confectionery list are the ones I always think of but really there are too many. I should put pub/bookies in the 'Upsetting moments in otherwise not upsetting comedy' thread for its succinct yet poignant portrait of a life's mundanity.

Jerzy Bondov

Not best but I laughed so much at these American car salesman adverts. niney nine niney nine
Shame the sound is out of sync on the second sketch

SteveDave

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2019, 09:36:10 PM
Smashie & Nicey: End of an Era

Especially for the "How old are you m'darlin'?" that got cut out when it was last shown on the BBC.

Twit 2

Whitehouse does the best posh voices ever, doesn't he? Utterly joyous nuance and inflection.

SteK

When I was living in Denmark I showed my Danish mates the 'Miserabel' sketch, the Scand-noir one, and as Danish is recognised as sounding like Norwegian with a mouth full of biscuits, they found it hilarious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiM0JyTHNnw

Enfield at the end just mumbling is brilliant!

non capisco

The 'Only Me' sketch where he's arguing with Mark Williams in the cafe, specifically the bit right at the end when he runs back in and screeches one last "YOU DIDN'T WANT TO COME IN ON THE M25!"

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on November 09, 2019, 08:38:02 PMAny old Pathè parody public information film.

Women, know your limits.

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on November 10, 2019, 09:17:15 PMMr Cholmondley-Warner and the 50s infomercials

Yeah, the Cholmondley-Warner and vintage things are largely wonderful.

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2019, 09:36:10 PMSmashie & Nicey: End of an Era

"Deptford Draylons! Alright?"

Quote from: Default to the negative on November 09, 2019, 11:06:41 PMThis was pretty funny. Arthur Atkinson doing a 1970s sex comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JicjC2GXKzE

Atkinson is one of my fave Whitehouse/Fast Show. "I feel light as a feather... I could take orf!"

Quote from: sick as a pike on November 10, 2019, 06:18:45 PM[Shameless, archaic self-promotion] Written by me!!11!!11 etc

Nice one!

madhair60

The benefits family sketch in the car showroom. It's a fucking symphony.

Dannyhood91

Norton Canes

Every time my dad goes on about some DIY, we try to slip in the phrase 'four-bi-two-bi' 

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 12, 2019, 11:46:17 AM
Liverpool 1990 vs Arsenal black and white

I still refer to any footballer dribbling impressively as "Charles 'Charlie' Charles".
And my friend Charlie.

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 12, 2019, 11:46:17 AM
Liverpool 1990 vs Arsenal black and white
Not my sketch, but I was there for the filming, which I can Exclusively Reveal to nobody's interest that it was shot at Craven Cottage.

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, good sketchwriting sickasapike.

Not a full sketch, but there's a Self Righteous Brothers sketch in which just after Harry says "But, if [celebrity]...", before he gets the chance to imagine the celebrity misdeed Paul says "Oh no" in a way that's funnier than "Oh no" should ever be.

PlanktonSideburns

fuck me that story of the twos one is a tour-de-force of bangers isnt it?

Captain Z

It's brilliant, I had to watch it again over the weekend again after this thread came up. I was disappointed to find that 'An Evening with Harry & Paul' is no longer online, does anyone have it?

sponk

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 12, 2019, 07:40:56 PM
fuck me that story of the twos one is a tour-de-force of bangers isnt it?

I'll "fuck me that story of the twos one is a tour-de-force of bangers isnt it?" you in a minute