Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vic & Bob's Big Night Out S2

Started by Malcy, November 09, 2019, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Wednesday 27th November on BBC4.

Enjoyed the last run so looking forward to more lunacy.

SteveDave

Look out for my big fat face laughing from the front row of one of the episodes.

Bazooka

Can't fucking wait,series 1 was top dollar.

SpiderChrist

Aces - went to the first recording (presumably episode 1, is that how it works?) and it was a fucking hoot. If you watch it, I'm the handsome cunt laughing attractively.

Just a bump to remind folk that this is on BBC4 in 10 minutes.

That Ghost Hunters bit had me in tears, was the highlight last series too

the science eel

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on November 27, 2019, 10:20:44 PM
That Ghost Hunters bit had me in tears, was the highlight last series too

"that's STAFF ONLY!!"

alan nagsworth

Mate. That was amazing. Laughed my arse off for most of it, just grinning the whole way through. Judge Nutmeg floored me: 'WHY DO YOU THINK I FUCKING DRINK?!'

Their chemistry is absolutely rock solid after all these years, it's just so natural, and I think at this stage in their career it's great that they know their audience will excuse them for somehow corpsing even more than they used to. It's a joy to watch, two of the greatest having a great time together. And as well as being ludicrously funny, they also still nail that sense of avant-gardism that permeates their work, little touches here and there, bizarre camera angles, the piccolo player guy kicking shut those boxes with, erm, an egg inside, was it? Again it's just something that feels totally natural, not forced at all, ideas bursting out of the thing like sunbeams.

God I love 'em.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 27, 2019, 11:19:48 PM
Mate. That was amazing. Laughed my arse off for most of it, just grinning the whole way through. Judge Nutmeg floored me: 'WHY DO YOU THINK I FUCKING DRINK?!'

Their chemistry is absolutely rock solid after all these years, it's just so natural, and I think at this stage in their career it's great that they know their audience will excuse them for somehow corpsing even more than they used to. It's a joy to watch, two of the greatest having a great time together. And as well as being ludicrously funny, they also still nail that sense of avant-gardism that permeates their work, little touches here and there, bizarre camera angles, the piccolo player guy kicking shut those boxes with, erm, an egg inside, was it? Again it's just something that feels totally natural, not forced at all, ideas bursting out of the thing like sunbeams.

God I love 'em.

A beautiful summation, Alan. I watched that episode with a big stupid grin on my face from start to finish (I laughed a lot too, obviously).

The world is in such a fucking mess at the moment, so God bless Vic and Bob for existing. Half an hour of daft laughs from two all-time greats makes the whole depressing shitshow more bearable.

dr beat

An absolute joy.

As well as
Quote from: the science eel on November 27, 2019, 10:33:13 PM
"that's STAFF ONLY!!"

my favourite was Jeremy Paxman's Bongo Album.

jobotic

How did I forget this? Out tonight but will watch v soon, or maybe I should save them all up for 2am on election night.

Norton Canes

Great stuff, even when not actually funny. The song at the start was fantastic. Going to watch it again on iPlayer now. Just the song, I mean.

the science eel

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 28, 2019, 10:58:47 AM
Great stuff, even when not actually funny.

Yeah. As nagsworth says, there's a warmth there now which adds an extra layer.

Lovely fellas. And SO MUCH FUN

poodlefaker

I get the feeling they barely rehearse, prob. because it bores them, but it gives the show a wonderful vibe that doesn't really exist anywhere else on TV athese days.

non capisco

Crikey, I love the pair of 'em.

"When I was young I felt like a man trapped in a woman's body....and then I was born."

Liked the recycling from Athletico Mince of the phrase "my nipples have gone chaotic." That beautiful selection of words needed to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Mobius

Somehow this entirely passed me by. So series 1 is worth going back to?

Jim Bob

dunelm

Completely joyous. In a league of their own. They are the best.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mobius on November 29, 2019, 12:26:30 AM
So series 1 is worth going back to?

Of course. It's Vic & Bob messing about on the telly.

NoSleep

In case anyone in here hasn't noticed; I've started a thread elsewhere about a new book of Vic Reeves art, called the Vic Reeves Art Book:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,76598.0.html

Blue Jam

I just wanted to post a heads-up about this, Vic's thing about the history of video art on BBC4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bpjw

It was alright but a bit of a difficult watch- I don't think I'm that much of a pleb but a lot of the art itself went right over my head. I like the one with Gilbert & George drinking gin but the more modern stuff just reminded me of Vulva and Hoover from Spaced. Vic is always a pleasure though.

Has anyone seen Bauhaus Rules with Vic Reeves? It completely passed me by and I just chanced upon it now, is it worth a watch?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007tqs

It sounds like Bake-Off but more highbrow. Or maybe more lowbrow, who knows...

poodlefaker

Vic/Jim's art documentaries are not much cop tbh. There was one about Dada as well. It's like he can't decide whether to play it straight or funny and they don't really work.

rasta-spouse

Ep1 - quite good. The kiwi-wolverine bit was when I started loving it. Nice to see the Wheel of Justice again.

Also, I really like that industrial estate stuff at the beginning and wish it was longer. What is that video effect they've put on the footage to make it so odd and rhythmic?

Blue Jam

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 29, 2019, 04:44:41 PM
Vic/Jim's art documentaries are not much cop tbh. There was one about Dada as well. It's like he can't decide whether to play it straight or funny and they don't really work.

Awwwww, I enjoyed the Dada one, it was a bit light but that's what I wanted from it really. Also I "get" Dada much more than modern video art, which probably helped.

Konki

Okay, which one of you was it up in front of Judge Nutmeg?

Bazooka

Bloody hell, that was fucking brilliant,
but fuck me I felt like I'd been through centuries of therapy. Vic rolling a potato to a spectre in the toilet had me in tears.

Anyway, I'm glad after House of Fools being cancelled the BBC haven't trashed them, I mean why should they, they are fucking respected as being two of the most creative people in the last few decades of comedy.

jobotic

Yeah brilliant!

Wish they'd get rid of the special effects though, but that's a quibble. Judge Nutmeg was glorious.

Hillbert

Nice to see Bob's interest in TV and true crime crop up in the Steve Avery album "Piccolos, Picnics and Parsnips"